Khe Sanh 50th Anniversary

dustoff22

NES Member
Yesterday (1/21/68 - 1/21/18) marked the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle at Khe Sanh, Vietnam. 45,000 US Army soldiers and Marines were besieged by more than 100,000 North Vietnamese Army troops for nearly five months.

Any alumni here?

Yesterday (1/21/68 - 1/21/18) marked the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle at Khe Sanh, Vietnam. 45,000 US Army soldiers and Marines were besieged by more than 100,000 North Vietnamese Army troops for nearly five months.

Any alumni here?

That pre-dates my time, but I served in the 7th CI Team in 79 to 80 with a couple of guys who were there. I remember one of them telling the story of being sent in as a reinforcement. He had to run out the back of the C-130 while the plane was still moving at a good clip on the taxiway. Otherwise, the plane risked getting hit by arty.

Any alumni here?

You flew medi vac at Khe Sahn! Not many left in that club.

That pre-dates my time, but I served in the 7th CI Team in 79 to 80 with a couple of guys who were there. I remember one of them telling the story of being sent in as a reinforcement. He had to run out the back of the C-130 while the plane was still moving at a good clip on the taxiway. Otherwise, the plane risked getting hit by arty.

Chopper jocky's did that often when dropping back up troops into a hot LZ to lessen the chances of getting their ass shot off. Tip the backside down and the guys jumped out to save time.

Back
Top Bottom