• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kerry to sign UN Arms Treaty

ntomsw

Banned
Kerry to sign UN arms treaty, despite senators' opposition | Fox News

Secretary of State John Kerry plans to sign a controversial U.N. treaty on arms regulation on Wednesday, a senior State Department official told Fox News -- despite warnings from lawmakers that the Senate will not ratify the agreement.

A State official said the treaty would "reduce the risk that international transfers of conventional arms will be used to carry out the world's worst crimes," while protecting gun rights.

"The treaty builds on decades of cooperative efforts to stem the international, illegal, and illicit trade in conventional weapons that benefits terrorists and rogue agents," the official said.

U.S. lawmakers, though, have long claimed that the treaty could lead to new gun control measures. Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., one of the most vocal opponents of the treaty, sent a letter to Kerry declaring it "dead in the water," since a majority of senators has gone on record against the agreement.

with the all the problems in the world, kerry has nothing better to do? at least he's not our senator any more. but we see and hear more of him which makes me sick.[puke]

good, another chance for the people who have a brain to make their stance clear with a vote, and clearly show who those in opposition are

image_zps76022c57.jpg

I hope no one finds this disloyal, unpatriotic news surprising. Obama hand-picked Kerry for the position because he knew Kerry is every bit of an American-hater as I Obama. How ‘We the People’ ever voted these anti-American peckerwoods into positions of power is beyond me.

This country is heading in a backwards direction if we are going to let other counties have ANY little bit of say about what happens in OUR country.

I hope no one finds this disloyal, unpatriotic news surprising. Obama hand-picked Kerry for the position because he knew Kerry is every bit of an American-hater as I Obama. How ‘We the People’ ever voted these anti-American peckerwoods into positions of power is beyond me.

That and he is disposable. They needed to get distance between Hillary and this administration for her 2016 run.

Arming Syrians to battle against their gov.
and trying to disarm everybody else.

True Kerry style.

Won't the senate still need to approve it?

From the Washington Times:
According to experts familiar with this process, the mere act of signing the treaty — a responsibility that would fall to Secretary of State John Kerry — would “obligate” the U.S. government as a signatory not to act “contrary to” its terms. Those “terms” are, to quote Ross Perot, the “devil in the detail” — found not only within the four corners of the document itself, but in companion, foundational documents on which it is based.

Read more: BARR: The U.N. comes after America's guns - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Harry Reid doesn't even have to bring this to a vote, thereby bypassing the Senate's defeat and using its force to engineer more executive orders.

From the Washington Times:

Harry Reid doesn't even have to bring this to a vote, thereby bypassing the Senate's defeat and using its force to engineer more executive orders.

Here's how it's supposed to work.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Origins & Development > Powers & Procedures > Treaties

The Constitution provides that the president "shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two-thirds of the Senators present concur" (Article II, section 2). The Constitution's framers gave the Senate a share of the treaty power in order to give the president the benefit of the Senate's advice and counsel, check presidential power, and safeguard the sovereignty of the states by giving each state an equal vote in the treatymaking process. As Alexander Hamilton explained in Federalist no. 75, “the operation of treaties as laws, plead strongly for the participation of the whole or a portion of the legislative body in the office of making them.” The constitutional requirement that the Senate approve a treaty with a two-thirds vote means that successful treaties must gain support that overcomes partisan division. The two-thirds requirement adds to the burdens of the Senate leadership, and may also encourage opponents of a treaty to engage in a variety of dilatory tactics in hopes of obtaining sufficient votes to ensure its defeat.

The Senate does not ratify treaties—the Senate approves or rejects a resolution of ratification. If the resolution passes, then ratification takes place when the instruments of ratification are formally exchanged between the United States and the foreign power(s).
Most treaties submitted to the Senate have received its advice and consent to ratification. During its first 200 years, the Senate approved more than 1,500 treaties and rejected only 21. A number of these, including the Treaty of Versailles, were rejected twice. Most often, the Senate has simply not voted on treaties that its leadership deemed not to have sufficient support within the Senate for approval, and in general these treaties have eventually been withdrawn. At least 85 treaties were eventually withdrawn because the Senate never took final action on them. Treaties may also remain in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for extended periods, since treaties are not required to be resubmitted at the beginning of each new Congress. There have been instances in which treaties have lain dormant within the committee for years, even decades, without action being taken.

That schrapnel needs to reach the hair line.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Well, I guess an upside to this would be we would be unable to help the jihadists in the ME with weapons since they are all committing war crimes by not conforming to the Geneva Convention.

Hey, even a black hole has a bright side if you look in the right wavelength.

were do members here think this going to lead? how is it going to be used? and for what purpose?

Back
Top Bottom