kel tec

anyone want to chime in with their two cents on the sub 2000 in either 9mm or 40 s&w. On the surface they look interesting enough to buy, or at least shoot for a while. I like the way they fold-up for,,,,,,,
tex

I keep going back and fourth about pistol caliber carbines. I have tried a few and they are fun, but if you're going to plink maybe .22LR is the way to go? If I do get one I'll probably go for a Thureon Defense, thought their cost is kind of crazy. The Kel Tec's seem cheap.

here's one point of reference for the sub 2k: [video=youtube_share;z5rr5tfG7b8]http://youtu.be/z5rr5tfG7b8[/video]

and one for the Thureon:
[video=youtube_share;yDp6t253Opg]http://youtu.be/yDp6t253Opg[/video]

I like the idea of having a pistol caliber carbine - no, you aren't going to use it to pick off bad guys at 300m, but it is probably a better home defense weapon than an AR or a pistol. The size, maneuverability and lower caliber make it ideal for use inside a house over an AR, and the accuracy of a shoulder fired weapon over a pistol is great too. And if you have one in the same caliber as your EDC or at least one of your favorite pistols, then you double up on ammo.

Some people would say a downside is that the mags are only 10 rounds (although the KelTec can take pre-ban Glock mags, IIRC), but to me that doesn't matter for a home defense system. I would use a high capacity mag in a home defense situation, not even a legal one. My thinking is that especially in MA if you shoot someone even in your own home you are going to be starting from a place where everyone assumes you are wrong, law enforcement included. Most likely they will be looking over everything about the weapons system you used and I'm not giving them anything to work with - I'm not leaving any chance that they can talk about me lying in wait with a high capacity magazine, etc. 10 rounds should be plenty.

Some people would say a downside is that the mags are only 10 rounds (although the KelTec can take pre-ban Glock mags, IIRC), but to me that doesn't matter for a home defense system. I would use a high capacity mag in a home defense situation, not even a legal one. My thinking is that especially in MA if you shoot someone even in your own home you are going to be starting from a place where everyone assumes you are wrong, law enforcement included. Most likely they will be looking over everything about the weapons system you used and I'm not giving them anything to work with - I'm not leaving any chance that they can talk about me lying in wait with a high capacity magazine, etc. 10 rounds should be plenty.

Another out yourself thread....

I also don't carry extra mags because I will never have a mag-related malfunction. Maybe I should carry a revolver instead; who needs more than 6 rounds, anyway? I mean, revolvers never fail, right?

I prefer H&R single shot shotguns. I mean, if I just point it down the hall, I'll hit and kill everything in the other end of the house, right? Who needs more than one shot.... revolvers are overkill, don't be so paranoid. [laugh]

Meh I don't think it's an out yourself thread so much as a mass paranoid thread. If you're that scared A move to a free state or B have a couple 10 rounders lying around and hide the high caps before the cops get there, it takes them at least 10 minutes to get anywhere anyways ;-)

Back to the OP... I've got a sub2000 in 9mm and love it. The fold up feature is handy and the gun itself works well.

One thing I've said here before and will say again. Try one before you buy one. Lots of people find them dificult to shoot effectively.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

I have had one in 9mm for a couple of years now. It takes the Beretta 92 mags so pre-bans are plentiful and you can even get 30 rounders for it. INMO it is a perfect "truck gun", or backpack gun because it is so compact and light. As others have said it would also be more practical for HD than either a pistol, or high powered rifle like an AR. I outfitted mine with a rail system so it's easy to snap on accessories. One accessory that is a MUST is the buttstock extension that you can order direct from Keltec for cheap money. It makes a world of difference, and is designed to still fold the same, and doesn't increase the folded length, even though it gives you more length of pull when it's open. It is such a neat little rifle that I will never sell it.

If you think of the carbine for what it is, its fantastic. Its basic, compact, light, it folds and shoots well. Don't mistake it or compare it to a cx4 I have both, but you have to accept it for what it is. Both are great.

Back
Top Bottom