• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kel-Tec PMR30

anyone has input on these pistol, thoughts, stories to tell?
i recently came across one at the range and really liked the ergonomics of it. didn't really get to shoot it.

obviously it's not a cheap plinker since 22wmr is pretty pricey and not as readily available as 22lr.
but nevertheless a sweet pistol from the looks of it.

a little fuzzy on what is intended use for these things is, so ready to hear you out.

pmr-30

[video=youtube_share;ti9bs-7ES2M]http://youtu.be/ti9bs-7ES2M[/video]

b_d62e8d550272feb44770bd9bb097c379PMR1.jpg

Its a fun toy. Its a REALLY FUN toy. But its just a toy. Which is fine. The problem for me is that .22 mag cost me more to shoot than my 9mm or .45 reloads. I could load up a (preban) 17 round mag and shoot my G17 for less money.

Which leads me to the next problem. Half the fun of this little gun is that it holds 30 rounds. Since there are no pre-ban mags for this, you are limited to 10 rounds. The same as any other .22

To the person who said that there weren't any 10 round mags, its not difficult to make them yourself. Depending on the mag you can use flush draw in rivets placed at strategic locations to limit the travel of the follower so it only takes 10 rounds. If you ever move out of state you can drill out the rivets.

One thing that would make this gun a gamechanger would be if it could be set to fire 3 rounds with every squeeze of the trigger. Think about that. You'd have 10 "shots" with 3 - 22 mag per shot. It would be an awesome defensive firearm in that case. But for obvious legal reasons, it will never appear in that guise.

Don

i don't know if pinning with rivets is constitutes as 'not easily modifiable' per MGL statue

as for being a toy - it packs almost twice energy of .32acp
given that .380 is not powerful round by any means but nevertheless tons of people use it as primary cc caliber.

Purpose?! Bwahahaha..

Say it with me.. .22mag pistol with a 30rnd magazine. Done..

However, perhaps the situation has changed, but these things have been IMPOSSIBLE to get. Mainly due to demand and the fact that Kel-Tec is a teeny tiny company.

i don't know if pinning with rivets is constitutes as 'not easily modifiable' per MGL statue

as for being a toy - it packs almost twice energy of .32acp
given that .380 is not powerful round by any means but nevertheless tons of people use it as primary cc caliber.

Its never been adjudicated. But someone has been selling commercially modified P-mags, modified this way for years. Its not readily changeable back and is MUCH MUCH more permanent than what S&W does with the M&P 15/22 mags. If you aren't familiar with them, there is a little tab at the back that limits the movement of the follower. Grab the tab and break it off and the 10 round mag becomes a 30 round mag. I bought a bunch of these mags for customers in CT 2 months ago. The 30 rounders were all backordered. But the 10 rounders were plentiful. (Don't bother, the 10 rounders are all gone now)

I will submit to you that since this is far in excess of what S&W has done to limit its mags to 10 rounds, its within the spirit and the letter of the MA law.

Don

Last edited:
Its never been adjudicated. But someone has been selling commercially modified P-mags, modified this way for years. Its not readily changeable back and is MUCH MUCH more permanent than what S&W does with the M&P 15/22 mags. If you aren't familiar with them, there is a little tab at the back that limits the movement of the follower. Grab the tab and break it off and the 10 round mag becomes a 30 round mag. I bought a bunch of these mags for customers in CT 2 months ago. The 30 rounders were all backordered. But the 10 rounders were plentiful. (Don't bother, the 10 rounders are all gone now)

I will submit to you that since this is far in excess of what S&W has done to limit its mags to 10 rounds, its within the spirit and the letter of the MA law.

Don

true, but pinning the mag to 10 rounds will effectively remove half of the cool/fun factor from the gun.

i'm curious what 22wmr looks like on the gelatin? any videos?

I agree completely. Thats why I said, that if you are going to pin the mag, you might as well buy something else.

go to youtube. tnoutdoors does a ton of gelatin testing of all kinds of rounds. The CCI velocitor was really impressive and thats only .22 LR

Picked one up at Shooter's Outpost for $329 yesterday after getting thir Facebook alert. I was just driving home and couldn't resist the short detour. I recall it selling for hundreds more when it first came out, and still sells for more elsewhere now. (see how I'm talking my way into the great deal justification?)

It comes with 2x30rd mags. As it's not a carry gun (IMHO) two mags will suffice.

I might bolt a Red Dot on the top but will use it with the fiber optic open sights for a while. They make an extended barrel with threads but don't recommend use with a suppressor (which I do not have anyway). But a lightweight 22WMR 30rd suppressed pistol would be fun for undetectable plinking.

And yeah - ammo costs the same as 9mm Blaser Brass from WalMart (but you can reload the 9mm).

Maybe I'll get the extended barrel and paint the tip orange - it's pretty much a toy gun. [smile]

Picked one up at Shooter's Outpost for $329 yesterday after getting thir Facebook alert. I was just driving home and couldn't resist the short detour. I recall it selling for hundreds more when it first came out, and still sells for more elsewhere now. (see how I'm talking my way into the great deal justification?)

It comes with 2x30rd mags. As it's not a carry gun (IMHO) two mags will suffice.

I might bolt a Red Dot on the top but will use it with the fiber optic open sights for a while. They make an extended barrel with threads but don't recommend use with a suppressor (which I do not have anyway). But a lightweight 22WMR 30rd suppressed pistol would be fun for undetectable plinking.

And yeah - ammo costs the same as 9mm Blaser Brass from WalMart (but you can reload the 9mm).

Maybe I'll get the extended barrel and paint the tip orange - it's pretty much a toy gun. [smile]
I have always wanted one of these for plinking out back and at $329 I might have to. Did they have any left?

I held one at Acme Armament.

Besides feeling oddly light and cheap, the grip is what unsold me on it: extremely smooth….if your hand sweated at all, that thing would slip and slide all around or at least FEEL like it would.

I think it's a great idea, and FAR cheaper than the closest family member (FN 5.7) but I prefer something with a little more "presence" in the hand.

Im sure shooting one would change my mind a bit, but aesthetically/ergonomically speaking I'm all set. I couldn't speak to the most important part of the pistol i.e; reliability and accuracy.

Overall, I think it IS a cool pistol, just not for me.

Adhesive-backed rubber or adhesive-backed sandpaper tape would likely solve any grip issues. Or stippling if you like mutilating your guns.

Yeah, there's a vendor that makes grip tape specifically for the PMR30. Found some Speer 40g 22WMR Hollow Point at Walmart for $14/50rd, so grabbed 2 boxes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Personally I like the idea for someone like my wife. I'd rather her carry 30 rounds of a bullet she can handle and throw lots of them downrange at an attacker. I certainly wouldn't want to stand in front of the business end. I wasn't born with Kevlar moobs. [smile]

But the point is moot until we move to a free state outside of the northeast. We'll spend so much time in Mass once we move that she couldn't carry it anyway.

I'm doing this from memory, but I thought the PMR-30 used an old Zytel magazine, and there are preban versions available. Maybe from a Grendel pistol?

Back
Top Bottom