• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keeping your equipment secure at the range

Goliathan

NES Member
Being spoiled like I have been, 99% of my range experience has been at indoor ranges with target retrievers. The only outdoor experience I have is either in the military, shooting in the woods with buddies, or hunting. I've never really had to worry about stuff getting stolen.

So, when shooting at a club range where you have to go for a walk to get your targets, what do you do with your stuff? This probably seems like a stupid question to all of you old salts, but as a new guy if I'm at the range alone, I dislike the idea of leaving stuff sitting on a bench many yards away.

During the orientation at MF&G, we were told about a recent incident where some guy walked out of the woods, scooped a gun off the bench and disappeared again. This possibility bothers me. It's one thing if there are other club members around, I guess you can agree to have someone stick back at the firing line and watch the stuff, but you can't always count on that. There's also the (remote, hopefully) possibility that other people at the range may be less than honest.

So what do you do? Holster up and bring it with you? Don't worry about it? Never go alone?

Being spoiled like I have been, 99% of my range experience has been at indoor ranges with target retrievers. The only outdoor experience I have is either in the military, shooting in the woods with buddies, or hunting. I've never really had to worry about stuff getting stolen.

So, when shooting at a club range where you have to go for a walk to get your targets, what do you do with your stuff? This probably seems like a stupid question to all of you old salts, but as a new guy if I'm at the range alone, I dislike the idea of leaving stuff sitting on a bench many yards away.

During the orientation at MF&G, we were told about a recent incident where some guy walked out of the woods, scooped a gun off the bench and disappeared again. This possibility bothers me. It's one thing if there are other club members around, I guess you can agree to have someone stick back at the firing line and watch the stuff, but you can't always count on that. There's also the (remote, hopefully) possibility that other people at the range may be less than honest.

So what do you do? Holster up and bring it with you? Don't worry about it? Never go alone?

Well, I can't say it's ever been a problem at my particular club, but I suppose that scenario of someone waiting in the woods and scooping up a gun while you are a couple of hundred yards away setting a target is always a possibility. I've actually had fleeting thoughts of this, or someone shooting me with my own gun while I'm down range. For this reason, I ALWAYS have my regular carry piece on my hip, just in case. Not sure it would help much with no cover, but it's better than being completely unarmed and defenseless. The reality is that most club members that I've ever met where I shoot are very courteous and respectful, so the only real concern would be that outsider scenario out of the woods or something.

Never gave it much thought really, just leave my stuff on the bench and walk downrange. I'm not too concerned when the range has a few people on it but the times I'm alone, yeah, I have had it come to mind. In the old days when I shot a hi power bolt gun and I was alone, I'd take the bolt with me. Now, I don't walk much further than 50 yards and honestly, I do look back but that's mainly to see if anyone new has shown up. I just want them to know I'm down there.

Well, I can't say it's ever been a problem at my particular club, but I suppose that scenario of someone waiting in the woods and scooping up a gun while you are a couple of hundred yards away setting a target is always a possibility. I've actually had fleeting thoughts of this, or someone shooting me with my own gun while I'm down range. For this reason, I ALWAYS have my regular carry piece on my hip, just in case. Not sure it would help much with no cover, but it's better than being completely unarmed and defenseless. The reality is that most club members that I've ever met where I shoot are very courteous and respectful, so the only real concern would be that outsider scenario out of the woods or something.

Same here its crossed my mind a couple of times.

I have my carry on me downrange, but also will trigger lock if I am going to be messing around with a target stand, going to walk around or whatever.

There are ways of at least making the guns inoperable. A long cable lock through all of the handgun barrels and around a post or bench leg works. Remove the bolt from long guns if possible, or use above method.

I have the luxury and good fortune to have a son and son in-law that shoot with me. These guys I can trust with my stuff and more importantly, my life.

One loaded gun always rides in a holster down range with me as well. Just in case.

When alone.. only 1 firearm (rifle/shotgun) unlocked and uncased at a time (except for the CC handgun). When I go downrange, it gets slung over my shoulder and goes with me.

FWIW- Unless I REALLY know the other shooters, I prefer to be at the range by myself.

If there is parking right next to the range, then leave your long guns in the car until you're ready to shoot. I usually bring an ammo can and place it on the bench to hold the spot. Then go down range and set up multiple targets. Just wallpaper the stands with my targets and I might put some targets in the lanes next to me if no one is there. Then I go back to the car and bring my firearms. This is usually good enough for a range session.

A very valid concern brought to light by an unfortunate event! We do now have cameras on the range (and numerous signs announcing that fact) to hopefully dissuade any aspiring thief from doing it again.

In general it is not fellow club members that would be the issue, but the "out of the woods" and gone risk. And NO you can not shoot someone (and avoid criminal charges and likely conviction) stealing a gun off the bench while you are downrange! Can't protect property in MA by use of deadly force!!!!!

I usually shoot with my Wife so I can leave her at the bench and setup targets. Recently I went to MF&G twice when I was the only one there for a good part of the time. In those cases I left the rifles in the car, setup and then brought them out one by one to shoot. When shooting pistols I'm usually shooting at no more than 27' (BR&P) or 21' (MF&G) so I'm not far from the bench. At BR&P there is usually another RSO nearby as well.

I've ordered myself a simple OWB belt holster to use for the time being. I guess I'll carry it with me since it's the only gun I've got (for now!). When the inventory goes up I'll have to re-address things I guess.

If I'm shooting rifle and I'm by myself, I take it with me downrange. Always have a handgun on me too.

I've always carried a holstered handgun down range. If another member is not there, I'll carry a rifle down too. My range isn't fenced in and I've personally had 2 non-member guests bypass the gate and wander in to chat about club membership.

Never know, so might as well be prepared.

When alone.. only 1 firearm (rifle/shotgun) unlocked and uncased at a time (except for the CC handgun). When I go downrange, it gets slung over my shoulder and goes with me.

FWIW- Unless I REALLY know the other shooters, I prefer to be at the range by myself.

Same here. The times I'm at the range I'm usually the only one there. I wear electronic hearing protection because your ability to hear sounds, especially behind you, is much better than ear plugs or non electric hearing protection. If I'm on the pistol range I always have a pistol I'm not using loaded and sitting on the bench. If I'm on the rifle range and I have to walk to the target, the pistol comes with me and the rifle too.

I've thought about it. When I head downrange, I always have my pistol with me. If anyone picks up one of my rifles, they are instantly pointing it at me and therefore I am justified in shooting them. [smile]

A pistol stays on the hip.
Long guns stays in the car until after the first targets are set up.
I've locked up guns or put them in the car for target changes once in a while, but if I recognize anyone else on the range, or there's lots of different people I don't usually bother.

I always carry a loaded sidearm and if I'm by myself walking down to the 200yd line I sling my rifle with me. Anything else I have stays on the bench including any other firearms. Bullets tend to dissuade thieves.

Not something I worry about at my range. I'll leave all my guns just sitting there when I walk 200 yards down range. My range isn't near a major metro so it's not the kind of thing we worry so much about. That said, I always keep a loaded pistol on me outside of the range, so the same thing applies at the range. Even if my Glock is just loaded with FMJ, for range use, I'll still load it and put it in my holster when I go down range. Gives you an option if someone were to try stealing your guns or use them to fire at you.

If you're real worried, I'd say get a cable lock. Run it through the breach on all the guns and lock them to something large and heavy. Wouldn't have to be anything heavy duty. Something like this would work http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Retractor-Combo-Cable-3-Feet/dp/B00FA5HDC8/.

717E6Gx0P0L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Either I stay back with my equipment, or my kid does.

Children are wonderful range rats. My 13y/o told me its not fair that he puts up all the targets. I told him we can alternate but he has to pay for the ammo he uses......He hasn't complained since.

I am FAR more concerned about having my gun rights stolen through allegation of a secure storage violation that actually losing a gun. I will often leave my car unlocked at a match for convenience, but any guns left in the car are in a locked case or have a trigger lock. If they are stolen I will report a stolen gun lock with "oh, by the way, it was attached to a gun".

Gives you an option if someone were to try stealing your guns or use them to fire at you.
If you think that pulling your gun is a viable option if someone tries to steal your guns (but is not threatening you with them), you need a refresher on the Mass legal-political system L)

Pistol on the hip and rifles in the truck when I'm down range.
I've been told the same story at orientation at Woburn Sportsmen's!

I don't go alone much, but if I'm by myself guns come downrange with me.
We always have one of us stay on the line not only to watch the guns ,but to make sure no one else on the line pulls a shit show while someone is downrange.

If you think that pulling your gun is a viable option if someone tries to steal your guns (but is not threatening you with them), you need a refresher on the Mass legal-political system L)

If he does that, fear not! He'll get a rapid refresher in the MA legal-political system, poste-haste.

A few comments above about always having a loaded handgun on the bench, just in case, as well as slinging a rifle over your should when you go downrange. I wonder how that might jive with some club's rules about using open bolt indicators and no handling of firearms when anyone is downrange.

No worries at my club about bandits coming out of the woodline. As for other members, I already trust them with my life, I'm not worried about the walk to the 100 yard line.

A few comments above about always having a loaded handgun on the bench, just in case, as well as slinging a rifle over your should when you go downrange. I wonder how that might jive with some club's rules about using open bolt indicators and no handling of firearms when anyone is downrange.

Best to have a loaded gun on your hip, rather than sitting on the bench. Something I've practiced ever since I got my first carry gun in the mid 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom