• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keeping a firearm at work

Another : keep it on my person...

If it is not on the hip its not worth shit

It is more for the commute when it is on my person. However since wearing it around the workplace is NOT an option I would rather have it in my office so I have a chance at getting to it f necessary than in my safe at home.

If you have private file cabinets or something like that I don't see why you couldn't get something to hide it for the day. I'd rather have access to my gun in a safe than no access at all. If you can't conceal it at work, then lock it up in the office. It's better than nothing.

Is there part of your job that prevents you from being able to carry it concealed? I would echo the sentiment that if it's locked up it's not worth it, but I can understand your reasoning for wanting to.

Uhm....am I the only one that things we shouldn't be talking about this? People troll this site and I personally would not want to share my opinion on the issue.

why? are you promoting or admitting doing something illegal?

I would never promote anything illegal....worked to hard for my permit. However, I think that this is one of those topics that shouldn't be discussed in an open forum. Many of us have opinions on this issue, but sharing them may not be the best thing.

I would never promote anything illegal....worked to hard for my permit. However, I think that this is one of those topics that shouldn't be discussed in an open forum. Many of us have opinions on this issue, but sharing them may not be the best thing.

Unless you work somewhere that guns are prohibited by law, there's no reason we can't discuss it, as no one would be breaking, or advocating breaking any laws. Some companies have policies against firearms/weapons, and one should be well aware of his company's policy and the consequences of violating said policies, but simply sharing opinions about perfectly legal acts should not be condemned.

Unless you work somewhere that guns are prohibited by law, there's no reason we can't discuss it, as no one would be breaking, or advocating breaking any laws. Some companies have policies against firearms/weapons, and one should be well aware of his company's policy and the consequences of violating said policies, but simply sharing opinions about perfectly legal acts should not be condemned.

This.

The only employer I've had in the last 40+ years that allowed firearms in the workplace was the town PD I worked at in the mid '70s (firearm was required....duh!). All other employers had a policy against firearms in the workplace and some of those forbid firearms anywhere on company property. Violation of these policies would result in losing your job with prejudice, but no laws would be broken except for perhaps some law of common sense. In all those years of working, including the last 10 riding the commuter rail into south station every day, I've never felt I needed a firearm at work or during my travels - except where the job required it.

Do I think law abiding gun owners should be allowed to carry a firearm anywhere they feel the need to for personal protection? Absolutely. Will anything like that happen here? Absolutely not in my lifetime.

Last edited:
My company only had a violence policy until they found someone polishing the feed-ramp of a pistol barrel many years ago. Sorry, but they said nothing when a co-worked came to work on his motorcycle with a rifle strapped to the side.

Why? For some people here, it is:

A. Legal
and
B. Not against their company's rules.... (And even in this case, I suggest people do what they think is right, not what some silly rulebook says that has no relation to state or federal
law... )

I'm not really sure what the problem here is. Nobody is saying you're compelled to post what you do here, either. [laugh]

-Mike

Hmm...with the chance of being made so low, do those of you who work where firearms are prohibited still carry?

I've often considered carrying in...certain places I shouldn't....when I turn 21. There would be absolutely massive consequences, but they would be even larger should the time arise when I would need a firearm and not have it.

I own the business, and it would be kept in my office that noone else goes into. The problem is, I always carry, but at least 2-3x/week I have to head to either City Hall, or a local school...so since I don't have trigger locks, or a safe at work..I would just leave my gun at home those day, which I'm not a fan of. I don't understand why we shouldn't be discussing this....

I own the business, and it would be kept in my office that noone else goes into. The problem is, I always carry, but at least 2-3x/week I have to head to either City Hall, or a local school...so since I don't have trigger locks, or a safe at work..I would just leave my gun at home those day, which I'm not a fan of. I don't understand why we shouldn't be discussing this....

No reason you shouldn't discuss it, just ignore the MA indoctrinated sheep that are bleating. In this case, I'd say if you are CCWing then want to travel somewhere carry is prohibited, get some kind of lockbox for an office drawer.

Does this count? [laugh]
IMG_0420-1.jpg

Last edited:
To the OP, I would never put a trigger lock on a loaded gun. Nothing goes near the trigger unless it's my finger ready to shoot. Instead of a trigger lock, I would opt for a lock box and put my loaded pistol in there. Next to having it holstered and on you, it's the next quickest way to bring it into action.

My work does not allow guns on premises, so I don't have the option.

Back
Top Bottom