• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keeping a firearm at work

I put a trigger lock on mine and keep it in a locked cabinet that only I have the keys for. I am sure that I only need to keep it locked in the cabinet but I double it up just the same because it is work, not home.

I take the train so I like it for that. Once at work there is no need to carry but I have it in case someone goes Mucko.

Just curious, Do other people have access to the area? Is it your business? What if you get laid off or the building is evacuated? Can you get back in the building?

I'm not being argumentive, just curious. This is an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Just curious, Do other people have access to the area? Is it your business? What if you get laid off or the building is evacuated? Can you get back in the building?

I'm not being argumentative, just curious. This is an interesting discussion.

That is a concern. However, it is locked in the vault and only I have the combo. I would get back in eventually if the building were evacuated. It is in my office and I could grab it very quickly.

If I get laid off I will clean out my stuff and get it.

Biggest risk is if I got fired I would be asked to leave and they would box up my stuff. Generally however you get called into the office and told right when you get in or the pass card is disabled so it would still be on my person.

My company does not permit weapons of any kind on the property and it is a fireable offense to be caught with even pepper spray. However if I could have a firearm I would put it in a quick access gun vault in a desk draw.

My company does not permit weapons of any kind on the property and it is a fireable offense to be caught with even pepper spray. However if I could have a firearm I would put it in a quick access gun vault in a desk draw.

Same here. But, if I was going to carry at work, I'd do so with this.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=682b-w

They work great concealing a P3AT or PM9 under a button down dress shirt. Or, so I've heard.

If I went into work with a loaded firearm: I would be fired. It is stated in our employee handbook - clear and simple: NO firearms at work.

You need to check with companies policies BEFORE you do anything.

"There is no excuse for ingnorance of the law" - not sure who said that originally, but it is true.

I have worked in a couple of situations where I could have had a loaded firearm stored in my desk.. The first I didn't need to. It was a collection agency/repo agency and the owner had a shotgun in his office. I was the general manager so I always had access. The second place, why bother. I carried it with me.

If the company doesn't have a beef with it and you've got a truly secure place to store it, why not? I would just be damn sure it was secure. Having it stolen by a janitor or something would cause no end of problems.

Ok, if I wanted to keep a gun at work, would a trigger lock be good enough? Or do I need a lockbox of some kind?

A trigger lock slows access to a teenager or other unauthorized party. It does nothing to stop a thief who can steal the gun and then take all the time they need later to remove the lock.

A gun vault or other lock box slows the process even more.

A gun vault in a hidden location is probably best.

It depends on what your objective is.

If I went into work with a loaded firearm: I would be fired. It is stated in our employee handbook - clear and simple: NO firearms at work.

You need to check with companies policies BEFORE you do anything.

"There is no excuse for ingnorance of the law" - not sure who said that originally, but it is true.

That's not a law. It's a rule.

FWIW, I'd rather be fired and alive looking for a new job, than dead and well, not having a job.

locking it up.....

when seconds count, your gun is only minutes away...if you're lucky.

I don't have any trouble opening my gun vaults in seconds. The touch pad is incredibly straight forward.

If I don't have a gun on me, it's in a gun vault.

Even if I didn't live in MA, I'd use the gun vaults to prevent unauthorized access. When I'm out of the house the guns move to the big safe for theft/fire protection.

Back
Top Bottom