• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keep your dogs out of the woods

Just a PSA, people should be particularly careful about keeping their dogs out of the woods or put an orange vest on them during deer season. I was hunting in Maine the other day and shot a coyote (yes I'm sure it was a 'yote) and while I checked for a collar, made sure it was the right size and color it is easy to mistake some breeds of dogs for a coyote especially in low light or at a distance. So just be careful nobody wants to shoot a family pet and nobody wants their family pet shot but accidents do happen.

Dogs have rights too. J/K, ggood advice.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Just think of all the trouble Dorothy Gale would have avoided if she had kept her dog on a leash!

Not a hunter, but many in my family are. They always said that there are certain hunters out there that will intentionally shoot a dog because they harrass the deer.

Last edited:
Not hunting related, but has anyone noticed an increase in the number of ticks?

I've been pulling 20+ off my dog every outing...fortunately very few attach. With the cold weather this should get better.

Not hunting related, but has anyone noticed an increase in the number of ticks?

I've been pulling 20+ off my dog every outing...fortunately very few attach. With the cold weather this should get better.

Absolutely. Every time we go out I find a half dozen on him (he's only 20lbs) and a couple on me.

This time of year the dead leaves on the ground are a big part of the problem.

I've needed a few doses of doxycycline after being out in the woods lately also. Now I douse myself with bug spray with deet.

For tick protection, try permethrin. It's supposed to kill ticks instead of just repelling them, and it won't damage your clothing like DEET can. I was out in the field a lot for work a couple of summers ago and that's what I used. My coworker didn't bother putting any on and ended up with a tick-born illness. I never found a single tick on me, and we were working in the same area.

Used some can of stuff from EMS back in the spring for turkey... sat and watched a tick crawl along my treated leg for an hour before I decided to move and kill it.

Might want to be careful with what you get.

Used some can of stuff from EMS back in the spring for turkey... sat and watched a tick crawl along my treated leg for an hour before I decided to move and kill it.

Might want to be careful with what you get.

Ticks are pretty tough to kill. I have a small container of isopropyl alcohol that I drop them in after I remove them from the dog. I've seen a few of them live up to 10 minutes completely submerged.

As posted in the other tick thread, a "tick twister" is a cheap and easy way of getting attached ticks off without leaving the head in or squeezing their guts inside of you. They're a couple of bucks at most pet stores and are incredibly easy to use.

Not a hunter and I have not spent any time in the woods where anyone might be hunting. This weekend I will be working on my property which is smack dab in the middle of Bambi alley.

I will be out working with a chain saw and will have my big orange tractor in the area where I will be working. I'm thinking about chipping a pile of brush which should make it obvious that someone is there.

Is there anything else I should do to make sure anyone wandering thru realizes that I am there? I don't want to put up posted signs since I don't care if people hunt or pass thru.

Is it also safe to assume that on Sunday the woods are safe?

Gomer - no hunting in Mass on SUnday.

Still, I'd carry to return fire, just in case. While some deer may be able to yell, "Don't shoot! I'm a people!" most don't have the ability to be properly licensed, so they can't get a gun, and they have no thumbs, so they can't shoot.

An orange vest is not going to protect a dog running in the woods during deer season!

Someone tries this in a state where I can protect my property and they are liable to have a very bad day.

Even in states where you can protect your property hunters _MAY_ be allowed to shoot a dog that is actively chasing a deer just an FYI.

(credit: CBS)
Filed under
Local, News
Related tags
Deer, DNR, Dog, Jim Konrad, Minnesota Department Of Natural Resources

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Dogs caught chasing deer may be killed by a person other than a peace or conservation officer, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Just one example, but in a lot of places only game wardens, animal control and LEO's can shoot dogs chasing deer (not sure why they would wait for them to chase deer why not just shoot them on their owners leash?). In other places ANYONE that catches a dog chasing deer is legal to shoot them as in the quote above.

An orange vest is not going to protect a dog running in the woods during deer season!

I disagree, it's going to let the hunters know it's not a coyote/wild dog, and as long as it's not actively chasing deer I find it unlikely most hunters would shoot a dog just because. Nobody I know would do that and I have a large group of family and friends that hunt. If the dog was chasing a deer some of those people would take a shot at it though.

Even in states where you can protect your property hunters _MAY_ be allowed to shoot a dog that is actively chasing a deer just an FYI.

Just one example, but in a lot of places only game wardens, animal control and LEO's can shoot dogs chasing deer (not sure why they would wait for them to chase deer why not just shoot them on their owners leash?). In other places ANYONE that catches a dog chasing deer is legal to shoot them as in the quote above.

I disagree, it's going to let the hunters know it's not a coyote/wild dog, and as long as it's not actively chasing deer I find it unlikely most hunters would shoot a dog just because. Nobody I know would do that and I have a large group of family and friends that hunt. If the dog was chasing a deer some of those people would take a shot at it though.

Here is a list of people who would shoot a dog not for chasing a deer but just for Barking at it... Go figure????

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/139341-Farmer-Shoots-Dog

I get that, but that would mean I was stupid enough to let the dog run off like a jackass, regardless, they will still be having a bad day, even *if* the dog was chasing a deer. They'd have to prove it though.

Heard on my hand held radio while out hunting in a small area where we all tune to the same channel

Guy 1: Fires a shot and says "I just shot a coyote near your stand can you check it"
Guy 2: Hay Genius, the coyote you shot has a collar on it
Guy 1: Huh, how did the coyote get a collar, oh sh!t, will you take the collar off

I get a loose dog on public land or trespassing on someone else's property. But people don't seriously think they can hunt on someones private property and shoot their dog b/c it's chasing a deer or barking??

That sounds like a good way to get yourself pink misted; most folks are pretty fond of their dogs. [thinking]

Last edited:
SWAT
Secretly Waiting At the Treeline.....

funny-awesomeness-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom