Keep it or sell it

A buddy of mine is having some financial difficulty. This guy is the type of friend that will truly give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it. So when I found out about what was going on with him, I offered to help the guy out and purchase one of his pistols. I ended up with a gen 4 Glock 26. This guy loves his carry pistols, so there wasn't much choice in what to buy. The thing is, I already have a Springfield XDS (9mm), and a Glock 19. So I truly do not need another carry pistol.

Should I keep it or sell it? I know this is a personal thing to ask, but I am just looking to see how other people feel about it.

Id go along with Rockrvr1. The difference in concealing a 26 vs a 19 is negligible (at least for me at 6’ 205lbs). Plus you already have the xds. So if holding on to it Wouldn’t work then sell it. After all your buddy can always by another glock.

Last edited:
Is it at all sentimental to him, or just a commodity?

Like Rockrivr1 said, if you are not in financial need why not hold onto it for a while and tell your buddy he can buy it back when he has the cash

I can tell he likes it.

Im not hard up for cash at the moment, so I will hang on to it for a bit, until he gets back on his feet, then ill offer to sell it back to him (for the same price he sold it to me for).

Thanks everyone!

Do unto others...

What would you want if you were in his shoes?

You chose well!

As someone who has benefitted from this (on the other end) in a big way, on two different occasions, if I was in the OPs shoes I'd just hold onto the thing for awhile if the money isn't an issue.

-Mike

I'd do the same as the good Dr., put it in the back of the safe and hold onto it until the guy is back on his feet and stable financially, then mention that you keep it safe for him and offer it back to him. I've only ever sold 1 firearm because I needed money 30 years later I still regret that sale.

I've only ever sold 1 firearm because I needed money 30 years later I still regret that sale.

I agree with you there, I sold a bunch of my guns many years ago due to financial issues and regret every one of them. I would have a great collection of guns I can't get anymore if I didn't. I told my self I would never sell another gun after that and so far have held up to that.

I’m with all the others. If you don’t need the money then hold on to it and offer to sell it back to him for the same amount

I can tell he likes it.

Im not hard up for cash at the moment, so I will hang on to it for a bit, until he gets back on his feet, then ill offer to sell it back to him (for the same price he sold it to me for).

Thanks everyone!

you can also offer it for triple the price on NES classifieds, may be someone would buy it [laugh] meanwhile, you never know

I would've just loaned the money if that's an option. He can keep the G26 so he doesn't get robbed to make things worse.

I'd probably hold onto it and sell it back to him at the same price (if he wants it). But seriously: who has an emotional attachment to a Gen 4 Glock 26??

Consider yourself a caretaker, doing a favor for a friend.
When the time comes work something out but don't sell it without his first dibs.
And if feasible, just give it back.

"Personally I would keep it and tell your friend that you'll hold onto it so when he gets back on his feet he can buy it back."

Thats the "friend thing" to do!

Back
Top Bottom