• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KB1UMC today!

KB1UMC?

17782.jpg

[laugh][wink]

If you can hit the Paxton 146.97 repeater you'll probably be able to reach most of us.
Congrats!

KB1SVW

Thanks everyone. Being in Mansfield and only owning an HT at the moment hitting Paxton (50 miles away) is out of the question. Give me a few weeks to survey radio options and pick something up more powerful and perhaps I will be able to do so. How much power would I need to to reach that far? Would 25-50 watts be enough?

Thanks everyone. Being in Mansfield and only owning an HT at the moment hitting Paxton (50 miles away) is out of the question. Give me a few weeks to survey radio options and pick something up more powerful and perhaps I will be able to do so. How much power would I need to to reach that far? Would 25-50 watts be enough?

Depends, are you talking mobile or base? If base, what's your altitude?
Assuming your altitude is around 125ft above sea lvl, about 40-50 watts through a 5/8 wave antenna should be plenty. Not 100% sure on that. Most of my experience has been with my base setup, and because I'm about 1175' above sea level, there are some significant differences. [laugh]

Last edited:
That makes sense. I'm about 200', but behind a somewhat dense wall of trees.

I've seen the radio recommendations made in another thread and will do some further research to figure out what to get to start with. I'm also going to begin study for the General.

I work in Foxboro.... Are you on the Sharon, Attleboro or Walpole repeaters? Should have no problem with a HT hitting those....

I can also hit the Bridgewater repeater which is really odd considering I can't seem to raise N. Attleboro or Walpole.[hmmm]

If you want a rocking good time, come down to 68 Stevens Road in Swansea this weekend. We have a multi-club Field Day event at the Swansea Town Hall Annex. The Taunton boys are putting up the big Mosley tri-bander. Plenty of fun and lots of food.

John, appreciate the invite. I spent yesterday at the Clay Center with my son (KB1UGX). Nice people. Lots of food. The kids were amazing running these HF rigs. Very cool and learned alot. Just joined ARRL today and will be getting my 8900R setup today in my home office. 73's to all.[grin]

C-pher, that would be cool. Got the 8900R setup in my office today. Looking at an SWR meter (borrowed Diamond SX-40C) the 2M band on that MFJ-1729 is looking great @ 1.3. The 70cm band though was pushing 3.0 on the SWR with that antenna. Not good. Trying to figure out why now...perhaps its because I'm cheating and have the 1729 stuck to an AC unit hanging out my window? Nah... [grin]

I can hit both Wrentham and Sharon easily with this...just on 5w and that's enough.

Welcome to the fold!

K1HS

Marines - Providing Enemies of America an Opportunity To Die For their Country Since 1775

Last edited:
C-pher, that would be cool. Got the 8900R setup in my office today. Looking at an SWR meter (borrowed Diamond SX-40C) the 2M band on that MFJ-1729 is looking great @ 1.3. The 70cm band though was pushing 3.0 on the SWR with that antenna. Not good. Trying to figure out why now...perhaps its because I'm cheating and have the 1729 stuck to an AC unit hanging out my window? Nah... [grin]

I can hit both Wrentham and Sharon easily with this...just on 5w and that's enough.

If you want, send me a PM in the evening and I'll hit the basement and we'll talk. Just let me know and we'll go from there.

Back
Top Bottom