• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kayak duck hunting

I was wondering if anyone had experience waterfowl hunting from a kayak? Would it be legal for me to paddle and jump shoot ducks? Asking because the regs say one cannot shoot ducks under motor/sail power until movement has ceased. My reading comprehension skills would lead me to say what I discribed above is legal, but it’s Massachusetts so I wanted to be sure.

I was wondering if anyone had experience waterfowl hunting from a kayak? Would it be legal for me to paddle and jump shoot ducks? Asking because the regs say one cannot shoot ducks under motor/sail power until movement has ceased. My reading comprehension skills would lead me to say what I discribed above is legal, but it’s Massachusetts so I wanted to be sure.
Should be legal. Like the reg says.....can't shoot unless the boat has halted all movement.

Last edited:
can't shoot unless the boat is cometelt halted all movement.

That's for powered boats, sail included. Try and make a Kayak not move. Hell the wind pushes it and it's NOT a sail boat.

I've hunted from a row boat forever and no warden or Eviro cop ever hassled me.Stop rowing, pick up shotgun and you are good to go. 2 people, one can gun while the other rows.

That said, trying to hunt from a Kayak is not on my list of wants. I've done it from a canoe and won't do that anymore. Between swinging the shotgun and the recoil when off balance a bit, it's not on my things to do list. Don't forget the life jacket requirement. Try shouldering a shotgun with one of those on.

That's for powered boats, sail included. Try and make a Kayak not move. Hell the wind pushes it and it's NOT a sail boat.

I've hunted from a row boat forever and no warden or Eviro cop ever hassled me.Stop rowing, pick up shotgun and you are good to go. 2 people, one can gun while the other rows.

That said, trying to hunt from a Kayak is not on my list of wants. I've done it from a canoe and won't do that anymore. Between swinging the shotgun and the recoil when off balance a bit, it's not on my things to do list. Don't forget the life jacket requirement. Try shouldering a shotgun with one of those on.
I took a duck hunting seminar with a federal fish and wildlife officer. He told us all forward progress must stop......motor paddle or sail. That's where I base my post from. I should have said "forward" motion not just movement.

Last edited:
I took a duck hunting seminar with a federal fish and wildlife officer. He told us all forward progress must stop......motor paddle or sail. That's where I base my post from. I should have said "forward" motion not just motion.
So what are you supposed to do? Watch the ducks take off and fly out of range while you back paddle to stop the kayak? Personally, I don't shoot at swimming ducks. I wait till they stop. Jack.

So what are you supposed to do? Watch the ducks take off and fly out of range while you back paddle to stop the kayak? Personally, I don't shoot at swimming ducks. I wait till they stop. Jack.
I was told by that fed that the concept of that rule is to keep you from doing just that! You aren't supposed to paddle, motor, sail into a flock on the water to flush them into flying and shoot while still moving.

This thread is pointless until someone cites the actual "regs".

(But we own two 17'2" sea kayaks;
there's a photo of them in the NES Glossary -
under "lost muh guns in a tragic boating accident").

This thread is pointless until someone cites the actual "regs".

(But we own two 17'2" sea kayaks;
there's a photo of them in the NES Glossary -
under "lost muh guns in a tragic boating accident").
Here's your reg

Motorized Vehicles & Boats: A person shall not hunt migratory game birds from or in connection with a motor driven land conveyance, aircraft or any kind of motor or sail boat used in concentrating or driving birds either for himself or for others. Further, no person may hunt from or by means of any motor boat or sailboat unless the motor has been completely shut off and/or sails furled and all progress has ceased.

The only debate is if a paddled watercraft needs to have forward motion stopped before loading and shooting. As I stated.....I asked that question from a fed f and g guy at a seminar and he said paddled motored or sailed needs to have forward progress stopped before loading......to keep people from busting flocks from a moving boat to get them to flush.

As always I'm no expert....do what you do.......as your results with the boys in green may vary.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Here's your reg

Motorized Vehicles & Boats: A person shall not hunt migratory game birds from or in connection with a motor driven land conveyance, aircraft or any kind of motor or sail boat used in concentrating or driving birds either for himself or for others. Further, no person may hunt from or by means of any motor boat or sailboat unless the motor has been completely shut off and/or sails furled and all progress has ceased.

The only debate is if a paddled watercraft needs to have forward motion stopped before loading and shooting. As I stated.....I asked that question from a fed f and g guy at a seminar and he said paddled motored or sailed needs to have forward progress stopped before loading......to keep people from busting flocks from a moving boat to get them to flush.
In other words, Agent Willenholly was totally blowing smoke -
the law plainly doesn't apply to paddlecraft.

I've read state online "legal pamphlets" that claim that as a vessel longer than 16',
I need to have a fire extinguisher if I have a stove -
even our MSR Whisperlight hiking stove packed in a cargo compartment.
But when you read the actual law, it doesn't apply to paddlecraft.
Have a nice day.
Likewise, I'm sure.

In other words, Agent Willenholly was totally blowing smoke -
the law plainly doesn't apply to paddlecraft.

I've read state online "legal pamphlets" that claim that as a vessel longer than 16',
I need to have a fire extinguisher if I have a stove -
even our MSR Whisperlight hiking stove packed in a cargo compartment.
But when you read the actual law, it doesn't apply to paddlecraft.

Likewise, I'm sure.
As I said.....your results with the boys in green may varry.

Bonus: the premise of the reg. is ironic - our experience with the black ducks on Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks is that they bum rush you for food. Up Browns Tract Inlet, in the middle of a swamp a mile from civilization, I had one hop on the foredeck to rescue me from granola bar overload.

I remember a cartoon with a duck hunter in a canoe or kayak, fires his shotgun off to the side and rotates in the water axially.:D

I have hunted from my kayak but it was awkward, uncomfortable and just generally a pain in the butt.
I bought a small plastic boat that’s made for duck hunting 6 years ago and it’s an awesome little craft to hunt from on solo hunts. Beavertail Final Attack is the name of it. Backrest, blind cover and aluminum door frames, and motor/battery were separate. All in all the whole setup was just under $1K.
4620C1A1-40AF-4BDD-9B1E-10711D6E82C6.jpeg

I bought a small plastic boat that’s made for duck hunting 6 years ago and it’s an awesome little craft to hunt from on solo hunts. Beavertail Final Attack is the name of it. Backrest, blind cover and aluminum door frames, and motor/battery were separate. All in all the whole setup was just under $1K.
That's awesome.
The 17'2" Dagger Atlantis sea kayaks were $1285.00/ea in Jun'98.

I have hunted from my kayak but it was awkward, uncomfortable and just generally a pain in the butt.
View attachment 256115
Not a bad deal. Looks very stable. Do you hunt saltwater?

Back
Top Bottom