Katz Deli NYC

Just an FYI that I discovered that Katz Deli in NYC ships their pastrami nationwide.
I have eaten there twice in my lifetime and now knowing they can ship to my home, I will need to move some of my ammo funds to them.

Priorities.

Anyone else been there ?

I'd take Sam LaGrassa pastrami over Katz any day.

Katz is a place that's famous for being famous, like Mike's Pastry or Kelly's Roast Beef. Everyone knows Modern is better and almost any random rb place on the northshore is better than kellys

Matamoras is the PA side. Port Jervis is NY.

If you’re doing the transit you never touch NJ. Although you can easily take a side road and go into NJ, but nobody does that. 🤣

I guess I'm nobody, but I knew that. I would take Exit 1 and head the 1/4 mile or so into NJ, because gas was cheaper than in New York or Connecticut. According to iExit Interstate Exit Guide | Your Roadtrip Pitstop Finder, though, that's no longer the case, but they still have to pump the gas for you in NJ.

Just returned from Helfand's, ordered the large corned beef sandwich, excellent sandwich.
Gotta love a Jewish Deli staffed by Hispanics [rofl]
Chef walked around asking diners how everything was, I told him I'd been waiting for the opening since August.

I'd take Sam LaGrassa pastrami over Katz any day.

Katz is a place that's famous for being famous, like Mike's Pastry or Kelly's Roast Beef. Everyone knows Modern is better and almost any random rb place on the northshore is better than kellys
I was in the Financial District on a drill weekend 10 yrs ago and walked to LaGrassa's and they were closed. I was pissed!

I was in St Pete's FL a few weeks ago and there was this outstanding Italian market, it was insane, they had everything there. 90% of the clientele looked like retired at 45 years old on $8k monthly pension plus disability NYC cops and detectives.

They had Carnegie Deli pastrami for $18.00 a lb, so we got some. It was the best pastrami I have ever had! They do sell it online but it is over $30 a pound, and no meat outside of USDA Prime Grade dry aged ribeye's are worth that much money per pound IMO.

So.. Anybody know of anyplace locally that sells Carnegie pastrami deli style by the pound? I would have went back, but it was Saturday and they close on Sundays.

Thanks to this thread I started getting cravings for good pastrami, so... I made some myself! Quite the process, I started with a 9.5lb brisket, trimmed a lot of the fat off, cured it for 7 days in a curing solution, desalinated it for 24 hours after the 7 day cure, then finally seasoned and smoked it. We have a winner!

-chris

20221121_170838.jpg

Looking forward to trying Helfands. Thanks for the tip

The place near me, with only ok sanwiches, has a great one that I've copied to make at home. Its a regular BLT but... add egg salad. Making it at home with high quality bacon, a summer tomato and my own preferred egg salad recipe is one of my favorite meals

I love plain old tomato sandwiches in the summer. Bread, thick slice(s) of fresh tomato, plenty of mayo (preferably Dukes) salt & pepper. You can use those Martin's potato rolls with one thick slice of a big tomato and have a couple sliders

Modern Pastry is trash. Royally f***ed up our wedding cake in direct contravention to the order their rep had written on their own slip, and they tried to get out of correcting it.

Would never bother with them again if they were the last bakery in Boston.

We'd go there after they had closed to public and get delicious sandwiches. They were baking for the morning and the place smelled great.

The killer thing about Bovas was not the rest of the stuff they had but it basically was the only place in the North End you could get a slice of pizza qt after like midnight at one
point. Bovas is an isle of relief in a city that shuts down way too early.

Back
Top Bottom