Katz Deli NYC

I really have to get a smoker.. Was looking at Recteq and the small kettle style smoker/grill($400) and I thought it was cool until I started reading the reviews about temp fluctuation, plus they moved all manufacturing into China...

Smoked pastrami using the method you use sounds amazing.
I have the Masterbuilt Propane smoker ($250) for over 10 years now with great results. it does take temp management, but not too bad. I spend a whole day smoking anyway.

20220709_080951.png

Get the McD app, McMuffin is $1
😂
When we first bought property up here there was a fairly new Mickey D’s on Indian Hill. Story was the town didn’t want it but the investor put it in anyway. It’s been vacant for about the past 25 or so years.

I have very little desire to eat that food in the first place so the app ain’t finding my phone. The self service kiosk is a joke as I’m not working in your store to feed myself. Next thing we know they will be handing customers a spatula and deep fry basket. 😂

A cheater way for pastrami is start with a store bought packaged corned beef. Rub with mustard and coat with a collection of spices including black pepper and coriander. I do soak it first for 24 hours to rinse out some sodium.
I do need to try and brine one from scratch. My wife doesn’t care much for corned beef or pastrami so I have to make smaller briskets.

I placed an order with them, should be here Friday I will let you know how it is.
When I was a kid this area had two Deli's I am talking the real Jewish ones.
Now there is this guy down the street, that thinks he is Deli because he sells
corn beef on a bulky, and no pickle on the side. What a f^*king looser.

been to most of those places in nyc. you can find just a good pastrami and corned beef around here if you look; there are some real jewish delis in the boston area, some jewish community groups make there own. chani's deli newton sq worcester has a great rep

I've been to Katz's a couple of times. Well worth the price. Awesome sandwich. I've also had pastrami at the legendary Carnegie Deli in Times Square (before they closed) as well as Harold's Famous Deli in Edison, NJ owned by a former Carnegie Deli chef. All great.

View attachment 645608

Harold's Deli pastrami sandwich
Harold’s is the nads…love it

Back in the day, 40's -70's there was a Jewish deli in almost every suburban Boston town. I lived in Norwood and we had one and when I worked in Canton they had a great one we used to order from. Unfortunately most are gone, causalities to Mickey D's and other fast foods restaurants. In HS I was a stock boy at Park Snow's in downtown Norwood and the sales ladies used to send me to the Jewish deli to pick them up sandwiches. I really miss those Jewish deli's and their corned beef and pastami sammies.

I have the Masterbuilt Propane smoker ($250) for over 10 years now with great results. it does take temp management, but not too bad. I spend a whole day smoking anyway.

View attachment 645677

I have the same exact one. I keep wanting to upgrade but despite a few quirks here and there, old faithful Masterbuilt keeps chugging away.
Only real problem with propane is on windy days, forget about it.

Seriously. Got a chocolate babka from Zaros at Penn Station as a joke while wife and I were waiting for our train. To die for. And by NYC standards it was probably just so so.

I was born in New Haven and had relatives that we visited for years up until about 15 years ago. Being close to NYC there were plenty of great family run delis on every corner it seemed. Home made and hand sliced everything. True barrel pickles, great breads and sandwiches piled high. I sure do miss having those up here in MA. Nothing comes close. What I wouldn’t give for a nice tongue sandwich and slice of kishke stuffed in real beef intestine.

Last edited:
I really have to get a smoker.. Was looking at Recteq and the small kettle style smoker/grill($400) and I thought it was cool until I started reading the reviews about temp fluctuation, plus they moved all manufacturing into China...

Smoked pastrami using the method you use sounds amazing.
Buy good quality American made...

Chain sub shops are garbage
I tried the Bedford JM’s just once. Kept going to Bedford House Of Roast Beef.
Firehouse isn’t great but a little better than the others.

The only thing you get with a chain is some sort of close to consistently. I still didn’t use them much.

I'm not sure you can call any chain sub shop quality. Especially here in the Northeast.
It's the only chain sub shop I get anything from, and even then in only the past six months or so. Really the only thing that interested me in it in the first place was the menu being vastly different from your run of the mill local sub shops.

Chain sub shops are garbage
On the south shore, I'll take what I can get(which is usually from a small mom and pop joint down the street).

The best subs I've ever had were from a locals dive type sub shop in Aspen called Johnny Mcguire's Deli. There was no going in and ordering a roast beef or turkey sub and not getting the "you've gotta be shitting me" look. Heard they expanded to down valley to Glenwood Springs and then into Vegas. Once it got up and running in Vegas is where it all went down hill from what I was told, the owner not the shops. Money spent on other "things" is what I was heard, things LE isn't to fond of unless you're one of the beautiful people. Of course those issues led to all the sub shops closing. And yes, they used the bug for delivery.

Huge fan of the Trucker and 220-B.

1659579753629.png
1659579844119.pngButton Up Comics
1659580867435.png

"Send a Salami to your boy in the Army."

Don't ask, don't tell.

Did someone mention Braciole? 🤤

Bracky-Yoli???? [rofl](Rhymes with Ravioli. Or not.)

I think that Linguine's in Marlboro/Northboro still has it regularly. Might even be a regular menu item. It's pretty good. Their subs are good but the rolls there are too crusty and chewy. Gives your jaws a workout. GREAT bread, but just not for a sub.

I've had some excellent Reuben sandwiches in my life but most, frankly, suck.

I've had one Reuben than was absolutely amazing and I can't remember the place.

Any such delis on the wide track around NYC? I usually go westerly to Scranton and then head south through central Pennsylvania. I thus avoid most big cities until I'm well past new York/new Jersey latitudes.

Same question for genuine pulled pork.

All you have to do is get it at a rest stop/service center and that is the average price.
Even the burger king in Milford mass large whopper large coke large fry or onion ring is 13 something with tax

I will say i think there cheeseburger is better than a McDonald's double burger and 1.79 as opposed to McDonald's 2.59

Burger king drinks are insane at 3.00 for a large coke while McDonald's large is 1.00

With both places using the app is critical for free and discount stuff.
You know there's a problem when a large fry a side item is almost 5.00 alone.

Cumberland farms and 7 11 have gone insane there slushy frozen sodas are almost 3.00 for a large just a few years ago there were . 89 cents with a refillable mug.

By the time I find places like this I am 10-15 years too late, the place is under new ownership, it's all commercialized, overpriced and the quality is long gone.

Mike's Pastry I think is probably the biggest example of this.

Down hanover st towards the city away from the ocean, on the opposite side of the street is modern pastry. They blow mikes away with quality. One street over salem st is bovas 24 hoir bakery.
One 24 hours is awesome and midnight till early morning the fresh bread bakes. Not only a bakery they have food stuffs like pastas,sandwiches made to order on their bread, arancini rice balls stuffed with stuff. So good the food and bakery items. Also on salem st dinos subs and food. 4 foot long french bread subs, as well as traditional subshop type stuff. Salem st ernestos pizza. Pizza by the slice as well as whole pizzas. Two slices would be a hair shy of a medium domino's pizza. Those places are where the locals eat the prices are not tourist trap stupid. The quality is really good.

Down hanover st towards the city away from the ocean, on the opposite side of the street is modern pastry. They blow mikes away with quality. One street over salem st is bovas 24 hoir bakery.
One 24 hours is awesome and midnight till early morning the fresh bread bakes. Not only a bakery they have food stuffs like pastas,sandwiches made to order on their bread, arancini rice balls stuffed with stuff. So good the food and bakery items. Also on salem st dinos subs and food. 4 foot long french bread subs, as well as traditional subshop type stuff. Salem st ernestos pizza. Pizza by the slice as well as whole pizzas. Two slices would be a hair shy of a medium domino's pizza. Those places are where the locals eat the prices are not tourist trap stupid. The quality is really good.

This is the info I am here for!!!!!!
[rockon] 🥰🥰🥰😘

Disagree. We did the Taste Test this past June. Mikes hands down. I was shocked. Something was off on the Modern cannoli. The shell was meh AND the cream was meh. Mike's shells have ALWAYS been better. But someone swapped the cream on us.

They both did fill while we waited, as one should. And wrapped them in nice boxes to go.

FWIW, Arancini rice balls is directly translated rice balls rice balls. [rofl] Sort of like Automated Teller Machine Machine.

Back
Top Bottom