• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Someone please tell me that this is just an April Fool's joke...

Katrina Victims to Get $2K Debit Cards By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The federal government plans to begin doling out debit cards worth $2,000 each to adult victims of Hurricane Katrina, The Associated Press has learned.

Homeland Security Department Secretary Michael Chertoff described the plan in a conference call with state officials Wednesday morning. The unprecedented cash card program initially will benefit stranded people who have been moved to major rescue centers such as the Houston Astrodome.

"They are going to start issuing debit cards, $2,000 per adult, today (Wednesday) at the Astrodome," said Kathy Walt, a spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

The cards could be used to buy food, transportation, gas and other essentials, according to a state official who was on the call and requested anonymity because the program has not been publicly announced.

In Boston, Gov. Mitt Romney said the cards will be offered "to people in shelters as well as people who are not in shelters but who have evacuated the area and need help." He said the hope is the cards will encourage people to leave shelters voluntarily.

It's unclear how much the debit card program will cost the government, but it could run into the hundreds of millions of dollars since hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced.

Homeland security officials did not immediately release details of the plans after the call with governors, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency was still sorting out which individuals would be eligible.

Not everyone will qualify for a debit card, said Ed Conley, a spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Houston.

"For instance you may have some people who have insurance and insurance is meeting their living expenses while they have been displaced. You have some people who may be looking at an option such as a cruise ship where all of their needs are going to be met. It is going to vary by family," said Conley.

When it comes to distribution of the cards, Conley said, "we are scheduling an appointment with the family and then providing it to them."

Chris said:
Nope, 2K of your tax dollars right to the pockets of everyone who lines up as a refugee.

Chris - keep up dear boy - they're being called evacuees now. And, since I'll be paying to help them out, I'll only be donating to the animal help and rescue fund now.

Moderator said:
Many of theese people don't have any forms of ID. This is a scamers dream. arggggg.....

My first thought exactly. Especially if there's more than one hand out spot per affected area/city/county....talk about a nightmare.

C-pher hun - I do hope you realize that we aren't slamming the folks you know down there. I'm pretty positive the people you know aren't the ones stealing plasma TV's and are part of gangs that are shooting at ambulances/troups/etc.

Yea, I know. But do know that only the people in the projects are like the people that you are talking about.

There are many towns where people have lost their homes, clothes, etc...

If you see how many houses are underwater, they people that had jobs, worked and were able to BUY those homes. All those people don't have anything. They don't have ways to get thier money because if they belonged to a small bank. It might not be working.

Maybe I'm more upset because I grew up down there. I saw pictures of my neighborhood and it was underwater. All those people have nothing anymore. I have friends that have been relocated to Texas. Thank god that the Aggies are letting the Tulane basketball team relocate there. Otherwise he would be out of a job until Tulane is back up and running. But, he's not in Texas. No money, no clothes, and no where to live. He's not sure if they are going to let him live in the dorms there or not. But Yes, he's happy to be alive.

But he's got to figure how to find a place to live. How to buy clotes. How to pay his child support for his four kids.

I'm just saying, of all the people affected, it's only a small amount that are the a**h***s looting and living off the government.

Buy stock in whatever company makes big ugly oversized gold jewelry.

I have a feeling that there is gonna be a lot of people getting looted for thier .gov cheese cards..Uhhh I mean debit cards.

I find it hard to believe there is a Republican in office.They should use this $2K x 1,000,000 to build new .gov housing or something.

This president is really starting to piss me off.Does he actually think throwing 2 thousand bucks at people that most likely never managed that amount of money in thier life will make things better for them ?

Bush is a friggin idiot.

Back
Top Bottom