• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Karma for Peterborough

Money works differently at the scale we live at vs the scale millionaires live at.

Go ahead, drive into a Rolls Royce dealership in a Chevy and ask for a test drive in a a '21 Ghost.

Here, I'll make it easy - there's a dealer in Wayland!

View attachment 516385

It's a steal at $392k
Better [smile]

2019-bugatti-la-voiture-noire.jpeg

Now send an email to the towns AP person saying your bank information has changed.
Now wait for the money to come in. When it does, immediately buy crypto, run it through the least secure exchanges you can find, moving in and out of the most garbage crypto, after all so what if you lose a few hundred thousand.
Eventually cash out in some country with lax backing regs and poor law enforcement.
Fini
And that's exactly what they did.

So, when are you using those ill-gotten gains to buy back the Monadnock range for future NES shoots?

And that's exactly what they did.

So, when are you using those ill-gotten gains to buy back the Monadnock range for future NES shoots?
If it had been me I certainly would... hint hint to whoever did this Monadnock would take an anonymous donation.

And to be clear, my post was meant to be educational, not instructional. And it doesn't always work. Of the three I know about two failed. One the AP person didn't fall for it and the other they stopped before the money left the US bank. In both cases no one was arrested, at least not yet, so it's a low risk crime as long as you are in some other country. You'd have to be stupid to run this scam from inside the US.

If it had been me I certainly would... hint hint to whoever did this Monadnock would take an anonymous donation.

And to be clear, my post was meant to be educational, not instructional. And it doesn't always work. Of the three I know about two failed. One the AP person didn't fall for it and the other they stopped before the money left the US bank. In both cases no one was arrested, at least not yet, so it's a low risk crime as long as you are in some other country. You'd have to be stupid to run this scam from inside the US.
Not to get all nitpickedy,
1A01B2DC-867B-4B4F-9CA5-947C3777855F.jpeg

I had no idea a Rolls Royce dealer even existed... I just figured that if you were the type of person who could buy one of these, you'd have "guys" that just know what to do to go acquire one. You don't want the riff raff wandering into your store and getting their greasy hands all over your car.

I had sometimes wondered if I could just wander into a dealer and test drive a Ferrari or a Lambo, assuming such dealers even exist at all. I don't look rich. Or sophisticated. And, I'd probably pick my 2007 Cobalt with no power anything options and rust down the sides, to drive up to the dealer with. It would be extra funny if I actually was rich and had a Pelican case full of cash with me, and after they flip me off and refuse to service me, I just open my Pelican case and say "Awww... I even brought all this cash with me to buy the Lambo, but I guess I'll have to go elsewhere with it. So sad!"

You are mostly right.. I talked to the guy who delivers the cars for Chambers in Wayland.. These guys buy cars at home and get them delivered into their garage by a covered 1 car transport carrier, if you are buying a RR or Lambo you don't really need to see the car lol.... The only walk-up customers in Wayland are for the Alfa Romeo's :D The biggest tip the guy ever got was $500 IIRC.. Kinda surprised me, thought he would get bigger tips than that delivering $250k automobiles.

Last edited:
Let's run through this.
First they identify a target, this wasn't a random phishing attack, it was targeted. A small town with aging staff that has a project that uses electronic transfers for payment. All this information is public.
Phony up some business documents, or get creative and incorporate in Delaware online using phony corp officers. It's all done online, not much verification involved.
Go to a bank with your phony or real corp documents and a fake tax ID number, or get a real tax ID number for the corp (again online and easy), set up an account. Banks don't really give a shit, they will look at the business information and open the account.
Now you have 2 choices. Either buy a domain that is similar to the one the construction company uses, maybe replace an L in the name with an i so when you setup your email from address you use an uppercase i and it looks like a lowercase L (just one example), but the computer knows what it really is so any reply will go to your email. Or hack into any email account of the construction company, people are idiots, this is not that difficult.
Now send an email to the towns AP person saying your bank information has changed.
Now wait for the money to come in. When it does, immediately buy crypto, run it through the least secure exchanges you can find, moving in and out of the most garbage crypto, after all so what if you lose a few hundred thousand.
Eventually cash out in some country with lax backing regs and poor law enforcement.
Fini

To me anyway, that all sounds very difficult right up to the point where the crypto is successfully purchased. Then it would all be easy for me. Of course, I have utterly no idea where to look to obtain all that information. And then how to successfully convince a bank to create an account. Obviously some people understand this stuff, so I guess that would be easy for them.

You are mostly right.. I talked to the guy who delivers the cars for Chambers in Wayland.. These guys buy cars at home and get them delivered into their garage by a covered 1 car transport carrier, if you are buying a RR or Lambo you don't really need to see the car lol.... The only walk-up customers in Wayland are for the Alfa Romeo's :D The biggest tip the guy ever got was $500 IIRC.. Kinda surprised me, thought he would get bigger tips than that delivering $250k automobiles.
I was doing business with FMW and Bentley Boston long before Herb bought the place.
Many owners walked thru the doors long before the internet.

So like 25-30 years ago ?

Im kinda like talking about the current century man [smile]
I'm old. What can I say? They were picking up and delivering the fleet long before it became the norm. Let me see if I can find a picture. Most of my stuff is already up north.

Let's run through this.
First they identify a target, this wasn't a random phishing attack, it was targeted. A small town with aging staff that has a project that uses electronic transfers for payment. All this information is public.
Phony up some business documents, or get creative and incorporate in Delaware online using phony corp officers. It's all done online, not much verification involved.
Go to a bank with your phony or real corp documents and a fake tax ID number, or get a real tax ID number for the corp (again online and easy), set up an account. Banks don't really give a shit, they will look at the business information and open the account.
Now you have 2 choices. Either buy a domain that is similar to the one the construction company uses, maybe replace an L in the name with an i so when you setup your email from address you use an uppercase i and it looks like a lowercase L (just one example), but the computer knows what it really is so any reply will go to your email. Or hack into any email account of the construction company, people are idiots, this is not that difficult.
Fini

No doubt that is (possibly) how it was done for the bridge money- $1.1m.

Interesting part is the thieves also got a $1.2m monthly payment that was going to the ConVal School District....

how that was intercepted may change what happened for the bridge money.

All employees in the relevant offices were suspended for the investigation....

Interesting part is the thieves also got a $1.2m monthly payment that was going to the ConVal School District....

Betting suspension with pay. For a few years my wife was required to take 2 weeks vaca back to back to break any cycle of potential theft or laundering.
We were both like OK!!!
Banking rules changed but we didn’t.

Towns have multiple accounts, and school departments are run like a separate organization with their own accounts and financial people. The town electronically transfers money to the schools just like any other payment. So they divert the payment just like any other. An email that looks like it comes from the schools says, "our backing information has changed, from now on use xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and the trusting, stupid, recipient makes the change without making a call to verify it.

Towns have multiple accounts, and school departments are run like a separate organization with their own accounts and financial people. The town electronically transfers money to the schools just like any other payment. So they divert the payment just like any other. An email that looks like it comes from the schools says, "our backing information has changed, from now on use xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and the trusting, stupid, recipient makes the change without making a call to verify it.
The school district covers multiple towns in the area- it is a separate entity from the town. So yeah, it could happen.

The question is did the scammers use the same bank and account route to take the funds in both instances and move them into virtual currency? Or did they set up another account?

Did the employees not notice that both the district and the construction company changed banks? If the same account was used for both, how did that not raise an eyebrow?

I can see the construction company being easier to change, but I'll bet the school district has been using the same bank and account for years, and the $1.2m was a monthly transfer. If you've been making a big monthly payment for a long time and are told to change where you are sending it, I'd certainly confirm I had the new details correct before hitting send.

The school district covers multiple towns in the area- it is a separate entity from the town. So yeah, it could happen.

The question is did the scammers use the same bank and account route to take the funds in both instances and move them into virtual currency? Or did they set up another account?

Did the employees not notice that both the district and the construction company changed banks? If the same account was used for both, how did that not raise an eyebrow?

I can see the construction company being easier to change, but I'll bet the school district has been using the same bank and account for years, and the $1.2m was a monthly transfer. If you've been making a big monthly payment for a long time and are told to change where you are sending it, I'd certainly confirm I had the new details correct before hitting send.
All good points, yet someone clicked SEND. The world is full of idiots and mindless municipal drones are the worst.

I saw something about Franklin NH stopping this, just because the clerk called the mayor to ask, "Did you really send me this?"

The answer was no.

(Also, I was surprised to learn that Franklin has a city form of government.)

A was quietly thinking to myself that this might have been the work of a computer-savvy, jolly, bespectacled, bearded fellow with close ties to MR&GC?
I saw him the other day, but didn't have time to chat.

I saw something about Franklin NH stopping this, just because the clerk called the mayor to ask, "Did you really send me this?"

The answer was no.

(Also, I was surprised to learn that Franklin has a city form of government.)

If there is only one hand that touches outgoing financial transaction in a town, that is a problem. Should be a systematic set of financial controls which validates every transaction. All it takes is two people with a checklist. Now, those two people can be difficult to scrape together in little nothing towns like Monroe, Dorchester, Ellsworth, or Dalton.

*Franklin has been slooooowly cleaning itself up. At least in appearance, but there is a noticeable difference from when I first drove through there a few years ago and now. Perhaps the town is levying taxes off drug sales on the main drag and putting the money to good use. 🙃

The town was actually giving $$ to the company building that bridge??? LOL. i drive by it once a week and see little to no progress other than occasionally dropping a piece of heavy equipment into the river. Never have i seen so many people standing around doing nothing for that long. it will be another 5 yrs. at the rate they are going.

The town was actually giving $$ to the company building that bridge??? LOL. i drive by it once a week and see little to no progress other than occasionally dropping a piece of heavy equipment into the river. Never have i seen so many people standing around doing nothing for that long. it will be another 5 yrs. at the rate they are going.

It is what lefties do... make sure everything is slow, expensive and corrupt. So, they are following the pattern used to do road work in Massachusetts, basically.

In general, road work in NH can happen impressively fast, at least when lefties don't have their hands too much in it. I often see that a road needs resurfacing, and they have the milled and resurfaced in a week. Meanwhile, that same work going on in MA can take months or even years. When I was unfortunate enough to still reside in Massachusetts, I observed them taking 4 years to put in a red traffic light in Billerica along route 4 by the fire station. Oh, and they talked about it for 4 years before that. And that last year of "work" they actually had everything done including the light dangling over the road, but they couldn't be bothered to turn it on until the following year. Just to drag it out a little longer.

Oh right, Peterborough... yeah, that's gonna be forever, wouldn't surprise me if they are still doing it 5 years from now. I do acknowledge this has more complexity than resurfacing or maybe some other bridge work like they did down in New Ipswich by the mill there, and they need a retaining wall... but still, it is already at the point of ridiculousness. They even thought it was a good idea to build a new library, at the same time, right next to this bridge work. LOL. A library. They haven't figured out that the Internet is a thing yet? And, they'll never allow anyone in that library anyway unless they are vaccinated and triple masked, or you'll get the sickness. My town never reopened the library... if you want a book, you call them up and they'll deliver it for you. LOL. Who would use a library like that? It requires browsing lots of books to find what you want.... you don't just see a title and say deliver it to me and hope it is sufficient. Or, you can use the Internet!

Oh right, Peterborough... yeah, that's gonna be forever, wouldn't surprise me if they are still doing it 5 years from now. I do acknowledge this has more complexity than resurfacing or maybe some other bridge work like they did down in New Ipswich by the mill there, and they need a retaining wall... but still, it is already at the point of ridiculousness. They even thought it was a good idea to build a new library, at the same time, right next to this bridge work. LOL. A library. They haven't figured out that the Internet is a thing yet? And, they'll never allow anyone in that library anyway unless they are vaccinated and triple masked, or you'll get the sickness. My town never reopened the library... if you want a book, you call them up and they'll deliver it for you. LOL. Who would use a library like that? It requires browsing lots of books to find what you want.... you don't just see a title and say deliver it to me and hope it is sufficient. Or, you can use the Internet!

Do you tip them, like the Pizza guy?

BTW, that's a good idea (delivering, maybe picking up the books at home. If they promote it well, people might start reading again, and they can enlist kids on bicycles to do the book running. They'll work for cheap or even volunteer for school credit.

Do you tip them, like the Pizza guy?

BTW, that's a good idea (delivering, maybe picking up the books at home. If they promote it well, people might start reading again, and they can enlist kids on bicycles to do the book running. They'll work for cheap or even volunteer for school credit.

Good question, and I have no idea. I actually do know the kid who works there since he's a friend's son, maybe I could ask them how it all works.

I've only ever entered our own library twice, shortly after moving here. And it wasn't because I didn't know how to Internet yet. I learned our house was on/near the property of a famous historical guy from several hundred years ago, and I was hoping the town had records of where famous guy's property boundaries were so I could look it up. Sadly, they had no such records.

Good question, and I have no idea. I actually do know the kid who works there since he's a friend's son, maybe I could ask them how it all works.

I've only ever entered our own library twice, shortly after moving here. And it wasn't because I didn't know how to Internet yet. I learned our house was on/near the property of a famous historical guy from several hundred years ago, and I was hoping the town had records of where famous guy's property boundaries were so I could look it up. Sadly, they had no such records.

Build a picnic pavilion and start having car shoots. You will find out quickly where all property lines are.

Maybe check your local historical society, if there is one. They often have records the library does not.

Back
Top Bottom