• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kansas may issue CCW to blind

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support everyone who can legally carry a firearm but shouldn't the ability to see be a requirement?

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/feb/12/kansas-law-change-may-allow-even-blind-carry-conce/

The changes also removed language from the law that gave the attorney general the right to deny applicants a license if they “suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon.

A spokesman for Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt — whose office oversees the concealed carry program — conceded this week that the office is uncertain whether it has the authority to deny a concealed carry license renewal for any physical reason, even if the applicant is blind.

I imagine there are legally blind folks that shoot a hell of a lot better than some of the people I've seen at the local firing range.

I'm all for removing laws, even if it means that a blind person can carry. If they were ever attacked I'm sure they'd like the option of unloading a .38 in the attackers gut instead of taking a beating and letting the police mop up later.

I imagine there are legally blind folks that shoot a hell of a lot better than some of the people I've seen at the local firing range.

I'm all for removing laws, even if it means that a blind person can carry. If they were ever attacked I'm sure they'd like the option of unloading a .38 in the attackers gut instead of taking a beating and letting the police mop up later.

I can understand that but my fear is them not being able to see where they're shooting at. That's my biggest concern.

Take a look at the target frames at your (or any) club....apparently working eyeballs are not the be-all and end-all of shooting accurately....

Exactly. I'm not one of the folks looking to screw people out of their rights. I'm one of the ones fighting for them.

What about some blind shooters that use an adapted audio system to aim their guns at the range? I have read about this system for target shooting

Plus this is the typical crap a paper spews about denying somone a permit based upon a "physical infirmity". Guessing if they feel you are too small, weak, walk with a limp, are left handed or missing a finger they should be able to deny you a permit "for your own good". Nothing out there says the right to bear arms is restricted to only those that are acceptable to the government.
They used an extreme example to make the restirction seem "reasonable", the one word I am sick of hearing when dealing with 2A rights. Imagine if somone told the paper that they have no 1st ammendment rights because their view is in the minority or is a view that the mainstream finds objectionable. Different toon then...

Last edited:
Their law now allows amputees or other people with physical problems to still carry a gun. The comment about the blind is hand-wringing. In my state a carry license will let you carry brass knuckles, switchblades, hatchets, etc., but unfortunately it has similar "infirmity" language, so no serious knives for blind people in Florida.

There's a blind gun owner that posts on this forum, BTW.

Let's see what's more dangerous... a blind person with a gun or a government will not allow the the right to self defense.

pfft, legally blind? no problem thats why god invented shotguns

Last edited:

JeepGuy nailed it.

WTF does being blind have to do with exercising your rights? Being blind means you should be fair game for thugs and fiends? Good for Kansas.

Take a look at the target frames at your (or any) club....apparently working eyeballs are not the be-all and end-all of shooting accurately....
now imagine how theyd look if everyone shot with their eyes closed......

now im all for free gun ownership.....but there has got to be some reason.......

i have no problem with blind people owning and collecting guns.......but to believe a person who cannot see can safely use a gun to defend themselves is asinine.

i mean, blind people cannot drive cars(and dont start about driving is a privilege and not a right).....

Last edited:
Great, another out yourself thread.

I see a couple of you felt the need to skyline yourselves nice and early.

Great, another out yourself thread.

I see a couple of you felt the need to skyline yourselves nice and early.

yeah, god forbid someone express their opinion........perhaps everyone with a conflicting opinion just shouldnt say anything at all.

yeah, god forbid someone express their opinion........perhaps everyone with a conflicting opinion just shouldnt say anything at all.

It's getting more and more like that here. You should be able to have an honest opinion and not be harrassed by the majority.

now imagine how theyd look if everyone shot with their eyes closed......

now im all for free gun ownership.....but there has got to be some reason.......

i have no problem with blind people owning and collecting guns.......but to believe a person who cannot see can safely use a gun to defend themselves is asinine.

i mean, blind people cannot drive cars.....

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. I agree that I would say that a blind person couldn't own a firearm or even go to the range and shoot. I just question how he's gonna aim at the right target if he can't see it. I'm worried about the safty of everyone.

when do we stop issuing CCW permits to the fatties for our own safety? that's considered a disability in many states.

last i checked.....fat people can still see what they are shooting at.

when do we stop issuing CCW permits to the fatties for our own safety? that's considered a disability in many states.

Therein lies the problem. Just how fat or just how blind disqualifies you? Who makes the judgement? It's a another can of worms that can give the man the power over you.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. I agree that I would say that a blind person couldn't own a firearm or even go to the range and shoot. I just question how he's gonna aim at the right target if he can't see it. I'm worried about the safty of everyone.

And when they shoot the wrong person, they will be punished. Let punish people for their actions, not because of increased risk. Worrying about everyones safety is what has been the start of every stupid law

My original post was not inteneded to be wholly ironic.

Blind people likely would shoot worse than sighted people. But there are many sighted people that can't keep it on the paper , either. And, what is "blind"? My mother is legally blind, but with adaptive lenses she can read the obits, and watch "The Price is Right". In the unlikely event that she were to want her old .32, what would the answer be?

If it's all about visual acuity, does that mean that carrying in dark places should be outlawed for sighted people? Or if they have adaptive equipment (e.g. a light on a rail) it's good?

As for outing onesself, I personally welcome the opinions that I read here (even the ones that I don't agree with) but, Yankees fans at Fenway should know that they'll be heckled, as would Sox boosters in NYC. It's just the way the game is set up. If you express an opinion that's off from the mainstream consesnus, you should expect a reaction.

And when they shoot the wrong person, they will be punished. Let punish people for their actions, not because of increased risk. Worrying about everyones safety is what has been the battle cry for every stupid law

so if driving was a right.....would you support blind drivers?

.......after all.....there is no guarantee they will crash......

and for clarification.....when i say 'blind'....im talking 100% cannot see a thing.

so if driving was a right.....would you support blind drivers?

.......after all.....there is no guarantee they will crash......

and for clarification.....when i say 'blind'....im talking 100% cannot see a thing.

Yes, because I judge people by their actions not their probabilities

Since Vermont doesn't require a license to carry concealed, and therefore requires no eye exams prior to a person being "able" to carry, uh, how many blind Vermonters are carrying?

I don't recall hearing of ANY bad things resulting from that oversight in the Vermont law.

I can understand that but my fear is them not being able to see where they're shooting at. That's my biggest concern.

You DO realize that lack of a concealed handgun license in Kansas does NOT prevent one from legally purchasing and using firearms.....right?

So presumably legally blind people in Kansas and most other states (where licenses to own, buy, and use firearms do not exist) already have and use firearms.

Would you go around confiscating them all?

Will a blind person be limited in the number of situations in which he can safely shoot? More than likely. But what about if he is being beat up by his attackers? You think he doesn't know PRECISELY where they are when they're punching him? You think the blind woman doesn't know where her rapist is? Your position is to deprive them of the right to self defense in EVERY situation outside the home because they MIGHT not exercise perfect judgment of when they can and cannot responsibly use their gun.

Quite frankly it smacks of the same logic that anti-rights people use when new CC laws or Castle Doctrine laws are put in place - "It'll be like the wild west! Blood will run in the streets!" That never happens. People, by and large, are capable of self-restraint and don't take the responsibility of carrying a firearm lightly. CC permitees rarely cause any kind of trouble or collateral damage. Why do you think blind people have a massive lack of judgment in comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom