Kansas man survives shooting himself in the head

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
SALINA, Kan. | A 36-year-old Salina man survived shooting himself in the head after pulling the trigger of a gun he thought was empty.

Shannon D. Austin avoided serious injury when the .22-caliber revolver discharged a bullet above one of his eyes Sunday morning, said Salina Police Deputy Chief Carson Mansfield.

The shooting occurred when Austin's neighbor, Michael Urich, stopped by to tell him he had been in a fight at a local bar, police said. Austin fired the revolver — which he thought did not contain any bullets — several times in the air in a show of support for Urich.

Urich told Austin to stop, but Austin then turned the gun toward his head and pulled the trigger.

The bullet hit Austin's skull above an eye, but didn't penetrate the bone.

Austin was treated at a local hospital, where police ticketed him for shooting a firearm within city limits.

Source: http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/675554.html

Not all that unusual. I guess at the last minute the shooter flinches plus the skull is harder than most imagine. A few years back we had a murder/suicide. An elderly man wanted to put him terminally ill wife out of her misery and shot and killed her. He then put a 357 to his head. Unfortunately it was at the wrong angle and he lived although severely handicapped at this point. The part that sucked was it was my friend's family and it fell on me to tell him.

He only gets a ticket?[thinking]

In MA you'd get life in prison and anyone within a square block from you would be charged with possession of a deadly weapon because they are in the same street block of the incident. The shooter would be charged with brandishing a firearm, public endangerment, civil unrest, inciting a riot, and treason. [smile]

fail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom