• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kansas Firearms Company Unveils 9mm “Smart Gun”

Also, naming your company SmartGunz is even dumber than that guy who named his short-lived dating app "LoveFinderrz" with two r's and a z

I'm impressed, the managed to make a 1911 even less reliable.

It’s so smart, it doesn’t even need ambi controls! Maybe there’s no safety??
Christ, if Sig can make the stupid safety available on both sides you’d think a smarht gun could too. Why a 1911 in 9mm? Also, had they gone the Glock/Sig route they could have got it to shoot on its own.

The whole things a joke... mandating is a joke...In some states they have passed laws mandating things that don’t exist. you would think for the price tag youd get two gloves...It just doesn’t work.

Closest thing to a viable option will be RFd inplants in your hands. Which likely would be ruined every time you go to the grocery market and pass your hand over the degusing strip.

This “technology” doesn’t solve a single problem.I’d argue it creates more

View attachment 442085

Gun control activists from Michael Bloomberg to Joe Biden have been demanding the introduction of “smart guns” into the civilian market for years now, but the technology has proven to be much easier to use in concept than in the real world. That might change now that Kansas-based firearms manufacturer SmartGunz has announced the release of a 1911-style 9mm “smart gun” later this year.

The SmartGunz 9mm Sentry uses an RFID chip which is contained in a glove that must be worn by the shooter in order for the gun to fire. In order to use the pistol, the operator not only has to wear the special glove, but must depress a “safety activation switch” before the gun is ready, which the company says “ensures each SmartGunz firearm fires each and every time when it is supposed to AND ONLY when it is supposed to fire.”

I have nothing against “smart guns” in theory, but I’m absolutely opposed to any mandate that would require all non-smart guns to be pulled from store shelves, which is actually what Joe Biden has proposed. From Biden’s campaign website:

Nobody’s bullying firearms dealers who try to sell these guns, because these guns haven’t gone to market. The only previous “smart gun” that was offered for sale was the Armatix iP1 pistol, a .22-caliber handgun that also used RFID technology to unlock the gun before use. Given the high price tag and the fact that the gun was apparently able to be “hacked” with just a few simple magnets, there are good reasons why the iP1 never caught on.

The new SmartGunz pistol is also going to be pricey, with a suggested retail cost of $2,495. The cost alone is going to make the pistol a non-starter for many gun owners, but there are also plenty of folks like me who just don’t see that the supposed benefits of a so-called smart gun outweigh the potential drawbacks.

Adding any additional steps to make the firearm functional also adds additional potential points of failure for the firearm. What happens if you can’t find your glove as someone’s breaking into your home? What happens if you need to use your off-hand to hold the gun or become incapacitated and need someone else in the household to use the gun in self-defense? What happens if the battery fails when you actually need to use your firearm in self-defense?

Guns can already jam or misfire, but a so-called smart gun adds even more potential problems to the mix. Again, I’m not opposed to the idea in theory, though I wonder how the release of the SmartGunz pistol is going to go over in New Jersey, where every gun store in the state may be required to keep the gun in stock once it’s released to the public.

If someone wants to spend $2,500 on a smart gun, more power to them. Personally, I don’t see that the benefit outweighs the cost or the potential problems, but that doesn’t mean that I think no one should be able to purchase one if it comes to market.

Biden’s idea to mandate smart gun ownership, on the other hand, is a non-starter. It’s my body that’s being protected, and it’s my choice on how to protect it. I don’t want a smart gun, I don’t need a smart gun, and I won’t abide by any demand that I give up my “dumb guns” and replace them with a Biden-approved model.
Nope, never.

https://smartgunz.co/about/ (Archive link)
Americans are killed or wounded every day by handguns, whether they are targeted victims of violence, children or bystanders harmed by accidental weapons discharges, or people suffering from mental illness intent on taking their own lives.
Paragraph 1: Reinforce the "...killed...by handguns..." narrative. Great start.

It’s like mandating that the Boston bombers need a glove to Activate an explosive a 10 year old could make..kids today still are blowing up there tonka trunks with fireworks..:

Until people start looking at the real problems in America it’s all just political theater

mixed in with the other stupidity,

1) My wife and I cannot use the same gun
2) Singlestack 9mm, really?
3) Glove required
a) I don't wear clothes to bed let alone a glove, can you honestly imagine putting a glove on to deal with an intruder?
b) Concealed is concealed - except for that glove
4) Complex system that's going to be prone to failure

is the "prevents suicide". Tell me just how it does that. If I want to use a firearm to commit suicide - I'm going to use one of my own - not somebody else's.

I want to see the vibration test results. Does the PCB or the SMT components crack after so many rounds fired? Did they test the electronics at high temp and humidity, or cold? Did they test the glove at high temp or humidity, and cold? what’s the MBTF on that gun? A typical polymer striker fired MTBF is like 20-50k rounds. What is the shelf life of components? If I put it in the closet for 5 years, do I need to buy another glove? What happens if you get Hoppes #9 on the circuit card or the glove? I’m guessing there is zero data for any of this.

What's a crowdfunding website that is pro-2A?

If folk will pony up the $2,495 (plus another hundy for ammo), I'll take the hit to my man card and pre-order one of these in order to reverse engineer the lockout, do a Day-1 warez style release of an unlock hack turning the smartgunz back into a normal "dumb" gun.

GunsAmerica said:
In an interview with GunsAmerica, Holland assured potential users that the mechanism is reliable, and he called the design “simple and elegant.” He did not know whether the mechanism could be circumvented if the gun were taken apart, but he said the mechanism is self-contained and cannot be hacked electronically.
1-Full-Showing-RFID-SIDE.jpg

Article says "patent pending", so details should be easy to come by...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom