• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kalamazoo, Sheriff vs knife attacker

Let just ask the same question this way,what if that person who is all f^*ked up is a family member or friend,would you want the cops only choice is to shoot them.
If someone like that is running loose then his tribe failed him, or they cut him loose. Shit happens. It's possible one could consider this a looney bin failure, especially if this was a known mental health problem guy, then the system clearly failed. I sure as hell am not going to blame the cop here.

If someone like that is running loose then his tribe failed him, or they cut him loose. Shit happens. It's possible one could consider this a looney bin failure, especially if this was a known mental health problem guy, then the system clearly failed. I sure as hell am not going to blame the cop here.

This.
There are outlets and options before it gets to this point. I’d feel the same way if this were a combat vet, purple heart recipient, family member with issues, whatever. The bottom line is, if I know I have a family member with issues and we, as a unit and or society in place of a family, don’t address these issues, this is the end result. It’s no less sad regardless of prior circumstances, but I’m still not going to shift an emoticon of blame to the poor bastard that wound up confronting everyone else’s “we need to get him some help” problem when it finally comes to a head. The system may have failed him, his family, his friends, everyone may have failed him. That doesn’t change the fact that he met one cop, with one choice, and one eventual result.

I am not saying the cop didn't do the right thing,I would have done the same thing.
What bothers me is that's the only option they have today for this.

What are the alternatives to a report of a man with a knife?
If Chicago government and police brass keep going FR -
when there's no longer such a thing as a justified shoot -
you're only going to have to watch what Chicago PD officers do
in the same situation.

It'll include things like staying in the cruiser until overwhelming backup arrives;
even driving off to wait for the cavalry.

The bracelet he is wearing is negative off the top/cheesy
Ends up right in front of the camera as well. Seems like a bad idea to wear in the off chance something like this happens lol
Puh-leeze. (As I've said elsewhere on NES but can't find with a modest search),
the Intarwebs are clogged with bodycam videos where
the gun gripped in both hands periodically blocks the entire view of the target,
and absolutely blocks the view at the time of every shot.

They have long range tasers,bean bags,nets, ETC. that could have stopped him just as fast as a bullet.
They even have patrol cars.

I can only imaging a bodycam slowed down his mental/actual response as he weight the outcome of a good shoot...
As if a gas station/quick-e-mart doesn't have more cameras
than Cecil B. DeMille filming the crossing of the Red Sea.

... this guy ^^ who was shot, brings me no joy that he died, but wtf, it is what it is, he caused this.
Unless he was certifiably insane; not that that makes it the cop's fault.

If someone like that is running loose then his tribe failed him, or they cut him loose. ... It's possible one could consider this a looney bin failure, especially if this was a known mental health problem guy, then the system clearly failed. I sure as hell am not going to blame the cop here.
^ This.

It's reasonable to assume that he didn't go nuts/stupid
for the first time in his life after he arrived at the gas station.

As long as he was crazy beforehand,
it's on whoever didn't lock him up, or whoever cut him loose.

If this guy is a mental health issue than this is functionally no different than the same guy throwing himself in front of a train.... and nobody would be blaming the train engineer for his death...
The only one blaming the train engineer would be the train engineer.
They hate running over suicides; talk about a PTSD, etc. situation... [angry]

We need social workers on the street. Lol

Honestly, the biggest issue I’ve got is the officer didn’t really get forceful. Seems like after the first couple of warnings the volume should go up to 11.

I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt they escape all the time. Occassionally shit is just a tragedy all around.

If the guy was unstable and got away from the fam for a bit before they could subdue him... its not really anyones fault just a series of incidents that individually might not be that bad. But stacked they result in that dudes death.

Honestly, the biggest issue I’ve got is the officer didn’t really get forceful. Seems like after the first couple of warnings the volume should go up to 11.
Seems to me a service weapon reaches 11 pretty well.

Some incident footage I saw in the past month was very unimpressive:

hurr durr Hurr Durr Hurr Durr HURR DURR HURRDURR <Bang! BangBangBang!>.​

It really came off as no different than those parents of unruly children
that you see threatening them with classics like "this time I really mean it"
and "now I'm going to count down from 10 instead of 3".

And oh by the way, the imbecile who wouldn't follow orders with guns in his face
may have interpreted it as just like when his parents yelled at him.

If he had two whole parents, that is.

I'm not saying I have the gift of command,
but recreating a Happy Meal Meltdown seems like a non-goal.

Puh-leeze. (As I've said elsewhere on NES but can't find with a modest search),
the Intarwebs are clogged with bodycam videos where
the gun gripped in both hands periodically blocks the entire view of the target,
I am saying his bracelet is “thin blue line” bs.

Watching the video and seeing him wearing that automatically taints the opinion of him for many (jury). This case is pretty open and shut of course

Nothing wrong with him blocking the camera in that situation

OK, sorry; I didn't lift a cuticle (until now) to watch the video a second time.

Watching the video and seeing him wearing that automatically taints the opinion of him for many (jury).
The fire trucks in Morris Plains, NJ have Thin Blue Line decals.
And courtroom tactics for today's society makes this an issue for uniform regulations?

I bet there are defense attorneys in Los Angeles who try to get rape cases sprung
because the cops have American flag shoulder patches.

Those jurisdictions deserve to reap the consequences of a jury that sucks for those arguments.

OTOH, if folks want to discuss Flag Code,
I've got some gravitas in that department.

Understood, thanks.

Let just ask the same question this way,what if that person who is all f^*ked up is a family member or friend,would you want the cops only choice is to shoot them.
Cop should have just gone home, let that F hole walk away, maybe my kids walking to the store bump into him around the corner, then what?
I have no sympathy for someone who CHOOSES drugs, my kids, my wife, my brothers, you choose that life!
I tried cocaine once in my life, it was the best thing ever, seriously, I woke up the next day and chose to never do it again because I knew it would kill me someday.
Good shoot, and good ammo discipline, that shit expensive!

How so?

Not an attack, but what’s your thinking?

Cop was alone. Armed suspect immediately approaches and makes repeated lunging movements in his direction. Without backup escalation of force dictates a lethal response. He’s not going to attempt to tase with one hand and maintain a shooting grip with the other.

What are the alternatives to a report of a man with a knife? (I don’t know what the call was or why the officer showed up, other than a reasonable assumption) Dispatch the counselors? Leave the public at risk and wait for two cruisers to meet up and show up simultaneously?
I vote dispatch counselors and get it on video!

I vote dispatch counselors and get it on video!
Keep in mind that most mental health counselors are white.

You better make sure they check their privilege at the door before they council this troubled Black clown.

Or, else he'll have every justifiable reason to cut them to ribbons.

Keep in mind that most mental health counselors are white.

You better make sure they check their privilege at the door before they council this troubled Black clown.

Or, else he'll have every justifiable reason to cut them to ribbons.
Councilors would also generally be predominantly liberal, so it’s kinda like a get two birds stoned type of thing. Maybe three or four if we’re lucky!

Given that the guy walked into the gas station and called 911 himself to get a LEO on the scene and didn't threaten anyone else, it's pretty clearly suicide by cop. Deputy doesn't know what's going on, and even if he did, it would be STUPID to assume that a suicidal man wouldn't stab you just because he wants you to shoot him. JFC, many depressed pilots have taken planes full of passengers with them! The deputy handled it the only way it could be handled. Maybe some day they will have something that reliably puts people to sleep within a second or two of deployment, but not today.

I'm not a cop, and know they are trained to shoot center mass, but maybe a "warning" shot would have been appropriate.
Knee cap the kid? Maybe shoot him in the foot? I know it goes against the gospel, but I would try something to keep from ending the kid. Pretty sure I could have gotten off another shot if it did not work. Guess that's another reason it is good I never went into law enforcement.

Playing Monday morning quarterback here... Ask the kid his name, then use it if he responds. "Nice to meet you Johnny, I am Joe. So what did the bitch do that got you so wound up? It's always a woman's fault...."

But at the end of the day, it was a clean shoot. Cop played it by the book and showed a lot of restraint, only firing one round. The article I read said the kids family was devastated. The cop is going to have to live with that.

There is something wrong when a reply to a situation like this
is still to shoot the person.
i can only say - the concept of life preciousness of useless f***-ups is greatly overrated in this country. a good old darwin at work, that`s all.

on a more serious note - if a companionate life loving creatures decided to stop incarcerating dangerous mentally sick people - the only other solution is to kill them like that. i guess it is more merciful than locking them up in mental institutions.

Watching the video and seeing him wearing that automatically taints the opinion of him for many (jury). This case is pretty open and shut of course

I don't think there's anything wrong blocking the cam this time. But that definitely could cause issues in another case they gotta move that placement

Was this an example of suicide by cop? This guy was just provoking the cop up until the bang sound.
Yes and yes. Before this he walked into the gas station and asked them to call 911. They dialed it and handed him the phone. He did the talking. They dispatched a deputy to the scene for "suspicious occurrence". Then when the deputy arrives as expected, he provokes the deputy until he fires. Now you might have some different requirements for "suicide by cop" but me, if you call the cops to a scene where there is nothing going on, wait for them to arrive, and then proceed to provoke them with a knife, you're going to get shot. But you might be right to be skeptical. Maybe he only wanted a BJ from Kamala Harris and thought he might get a shot at it if he became the next Jacob Blake.

We have all this non lethal equipment out there,and our reply is still the same thing, I was learning
43 years ago. Hey if it works why change things,as long as the cop gets to go home at night
They have long range tasers,bean bags,nets, ETC. that could have stopped him just as fast as a bullet.
Don't carry and use mace or taser only. Then use all that for your house if and when someone kicks the door in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom