• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kalamazoo, Sheriff vs knife attacker

There is something wrong when a reply to a situation like this
is still to shoot the person.

How so?

Not an attack, but what’s your thinking?

Cop was alone. Armed suspect immediately approaches and makes repeated lunging movements in his direction. Without backup escalation of force dictates a lethal response. He’s not going to attempt to tase with one hand and maintain a shooting grip with the other.

What are the alternatives to a report of a man with a knife? (I don’t know what the call was or why the officer showed up, other than a reasonable assumption) Dispatch the counselors? Leave the public at risk and wait for two cruisers to meet up and show up simultaneously?

The bracelet he is wearing is negative off the top/cheesy
Ends up right in front of the camera as well. Seems like a bad idea to wear in the off chance something like this happens lol

I shooting was ok IMO. He could have kept backing up a little and waited a little longer but I was not in that situation
Hard to say you would do blank when you are not doing blank

We have all this non lethal equipment out there,and our reply is still the same thing, I was learning
43 years ago. Hey if it works why change things,as long as the cop gets to go home at night
They have long range tasers,bean bags,nets, ETC. that could have stopped him just as fast as a bullet.

There is something wrong when a reply to a situation like this
is still to shoot the person.
I know you meant this from a good place, and maybe one day we’ll all get it figured out, but my first thought was, ‘no, there’s something wrong with people who think they can do this without being shot.’

If that shitbird was going after one of my family members and I watched this cop show up and take the same amount of time and patience as he did in this video I’d be pissed and wonder why he didn’t shoot sooner. It’s all perspective.

Bottom line is some maniac (drugs? mental health? purge wannabe nut job? 100 other f***ed up reasons) was doing something that any of us (most of us anyway) would also shoot him for if that was a family member or friend or whatever being attacked and we had just arrived in time to see it and stop it. Crazy people don’t stop just to let you think about it for a minute.

We have all this non lethal equipment out there,and our reply is still the same thing, I was learning
43 years ago. Hey if it works why change things,as long as the cop gets to go home at night
They have long range tasers,bean bags,nets, ETC. that could have stopped him just as fast as a bullet.
In this instance, the cop did not know the guy had a knife and got pretty close before the perp showed it. I agree that it's a shame the kid died.

If that shitbird was going after one of my family members and I watched this cop show up and take the same amount of time and patience as he did in this video I’d be pissed and wonder why he didn’t shoot sooner. It’s all perspective.
This ^.

I can only imaging a bodycam slowed down his mental/actual response as he weight the outcome of a good shoot...

I know you meant this from a good place, and maybe one day we’ll all get it figured out, but my first thought was, ‘no, there’s something wrong with people who think they can do this without being shot.’

Bottom line is some maniac (drugs? mental health? purge wannabe nut job? 100 other f***ed up reasons) was doing something that any of us (most of us anyway) would also shoot him for if that was a family member or friend or whatever being attacked and we had just arrived in time to see it and stop it. Crazy people don’t stop just to let you think about it for a minute.
Let just ask the same question this way,what if that person who is all f^*ked up is a family member or friend,would you want the cops only choice is to shoot them.

The bracelet he is wearing is negative off the top/cheesy
Ends up right in front of the camera as well. Seems like a bad idea to wear in the off chance something like this happens lol

I shooting was ok IMO. He could have kept backing up a little and waited a little longer but I was not in that situation
Hard to say you would do blank when you are not doing blank
Plus there could've been the street behind him.

Team cop here

Hilarious beginning though.... what do you mean back up

Also this one looks reasonably cut and dry. But will they adjust the body cams?

If this had been controversial at all his arm covering up half the action could've been problematic for him.

Backup is the issue... if you had 3 officers there then yeah less lethal should be tried if possible. However what if the cop panics misses gets stabbed,killed. Then this guy is running around with a gun and some mags. Better to shoot when the issue is pressed

Plus there could've been the street behind him.

Team cop here

Hilarious beginning though.... what do you mean back up

Also this one looks reasonably cut and dry. But will they adjust the body cams?

If this had been controversial at all his arm covering up half the action could've been problematic for him.
Yeah.. I guess a car could have been behind him, a street, a cliff, etc.
I mean keep steeping back like he was. But yeah risk in that. What if he trips and falls and that is a bad situation for him

Let just ask the same question this way,what if that person who is all f^*ked up is a family member or friend,would you want the cops only choice is to shoot them.
Of course not, but I would understand if that family member was acting like an a**h***, threatening an innocent persons life (this cop in the video included) and was shot for it. An armed society is a polite society and animals like this are far too common these days.

I feel the same for this guy ^^ who was shot, brings me no joy that he died, but wtf, it is what it is, he caused this. That’s why in my other post to you I recognized that it came “from a good place and maybe one day we’ll get it all sorted out”.

Of course not, but I would understand if that family member was acting like an a**h***, threatening an innocent persons life (this cop in the video included) and was shot for it. An armed society is a polite society and animals like this are far too common these days.

I feel the same for this guy ^^ who was shot, brings me no joy that he died, but wtf, it is what it is, he caused this. That’s why in my other post to you I recognized that it came “from a good place and maybe one day we’ll get it all sorted out”.
Yea I say the same thing about those guys that came back from the sandbox, and snap they caused it.

Dirt bag dead. No word about the 450 or more that died in every city across the country from Blacks killing blacks.
Where is BLM and that Scum sucking douch nozzle Al Sharpton when all these kids are killed every night of the week. I know I know those blacks don't matter................

Yea I say the same thing about those guys that came back from the sandbox, and snap they caused it.
You have to deal with life threatening situations in real-time and with only what information you have. You can absolutely feel bad about the need to use lethal force and at the same time understand why it had to be used. And you don't get to play what-if. He was one officer with an imminent threat, he can't disarm himself to switch to less lethal, why do you think he wanted backup, the guy was more than close enough to close the gap and kill him if he tried. It's regrettable that the guy had to get shot, but that's the way it is sometimes.

It's even more regrettable if it turns out the person served and is messed up because of it, and I would feel terrible that it came to this, but I would still understand that the situation right then, in real-time, didn't leave any options.

Back
Top Bottom