• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9

Here's my newest toy, Kahr PM9. What's effed up is that I had to go all the way to Las Vegas to buy a handgun manufactured in Worcester, MA (my hometown). It's on Martha Coakley's banned weapon list (the non statist version I mean).

Last edited:
There is a MA Martha Coakley approved PM9 model. It has a loaded chamber indicator and external safety. I got mine last October at a MA gun show.

There is a MA Martha Coakley approved PM9 model. It has a loaded chamber indicator and external safety. I got mine last October at a MA gun show.

Oh, it's already available in MA. Mine has no external safety and it just has the original loaded chamber indicator (like a Glock almost). I think that using an external safety pretty much defeats the purpose of the weapon. The trigger has such a long pull and it's even safer than a Glock. If I had one of the MA versions I just wouldn't use the safety.

Oh, it's already available in MA. Mine has no external safety and it just has the original loaded chamber indicator (like a Glock almost). I think that using an external safety pretty much defeats the purpose of the weapon. The trigger has such a long pull and it's even safer than a Glock. If I had one of the MA versions I just wouldn't use the safety.

The only issue with having a safety, but never using, or training with it is if it accidentally gets engaged in your pocket or holster then you draw and... nothing happens when you squeeze the trigger. If I had the PM9 (MA version), I would either train with the safety, or remove it completely to avoid a malfunction under stress. With my SR9c, I always keep the safety engaged, but have my muscle memory trained to sweep it off on the draw same as I do with a 1911.

The safety can just be left off. It would be impossible to engage by accident. It's hard to engage period.

One thing I learned about these Kahr magazines and chambering a round is that it's different than a Glock. It's possible to slingshot a round in if you pull the slide COMPLETELY back and COMPLETELY remove your fingers from the slide and not ride the slide. Kahr recommends that you lock the slide and then hit the slide release and that's completely failsafe. With a Glock you can lazily pull the slide back and even ride it and a round will still chamber. Not so with the PM9.

At first I was getting jams but I hadn't read the instruction manual and I was lazily pulling the slide back like I do with my Glocks. This baby is not a Glock. It's a lot smaller than a Glock. It's a tiny gun with a strong spring so you need to handle it differently.

Hey fellas, I recently got a new Remington 870P (Police Magnum) shotgun and I should have a pic up tomorrow. I want to install my GG&G side saddle before I photograph it.

...and I hate that damn safety. It always dings up my hand/thumb when I shoot it. I do like the pistol though. Only thing I don't care for is it frequently will fail to feed if the slide is locked back, I insert a fresh mag, and rack using the slingshot method. Its in the manual not to do that though. It says use the slide lock/release. I just don't like that method.

Always on my hip, have retired most of my CCW for the PM9. That firearm is legit, accurate, lightweight, and perfect for the this time of the year. In my opinion the absolute best alternative to a .380.

Always on my hip, have retired most of my CCW for the PM9. That firearm is legit, accurate, lightweight, and perfect for the this time of the year. In my opinion the absolute best alternative to a .380.

Thanks for your input. That's been my preliminary observation (a "legit" defensive tool), but glad to hear from someone with more experience.

I carry the slightly bigger brother, P9, everyday. You'll love the pm9. Also good choice with the all black. That's what mine is; I think they look better.

This. I don't leave home without it. I've been training with the safety using my "thumb knuckle" to flip it up quickly which seems to be yielding good results with practice. Leaving it off is just as much an option. Love the PM9.

This. I don't leave home without it. I've been training with the safety using my "thumb knuckle" to flip it up quickly which seems to be yielding good results with practice. Leaving it off is just as much an option. Love the PM9.

Glad to hear you're able to make the safety version work for you.

Do any of you guys carry the PM9 in your pocket? If so how do you do it, what holster, maybe no holster, etc.?

Glad to hear you're able to make the safety version work for you.

Do any of you guys carry the PM9 in your pocket? If so how do you do it, what holster, maybe no holster, etc.?

I carry mine in a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster with a spare mag in my back pocket. The pocket holster stays put when you draw. The trigger pull is long but very smooth. It is surprisingly accurate and can shoot +P ammo.

Way better than a 380

I carry mine in a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster with a spare mag in my back pocket. The pocket holster stays put when you draw. The trigger pull is long but very smooth. It is surprisingly accurate and can shoot +P ammo.

Way better than a 380

Cool, thanks. Just wondering, I was reading some guys complaining that the rounds would fall out of the spare magazine while in a pocket. Has that been your experience at all? Maybe that's why you carry your spare mag in the back pocket? Thanks again.

I love my PM9 and currently pocket carry it in a Blackhawk Size 4 pocket holster (Size 3 was too snug). Rounds will slowly shimmy out of the magazine if you use that little watch pocket on your jeans. I just use a velcro cell phone case clipped to my belt though.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. Just wondering, I was reading some guys complaining that the rounds would fall out of the spare magazine while in a pocket. Has that been your experience at all? Maybe that's why you carry your spare mag in the back pocket? Thanks again.

I suppose it could happen, but it has never happened to me in the 2-1/2 years I have owned it. Don't get me wrong, I only carry it in the summer time when the weather calls for a pair of shorts and a Tshirt, but when it is really hot, it is nice to know that I have it with me.
I will also carry it when concealment is a must or if just running out to the store etc. Great little gun.

I love my PM9 and currently pocket carry it in a Blackhawk Size 4 pocket holster (Size 3 was too snug). Rounds will slowly shimmy out of the magazine if you use that little watch pocket on your jeans. I just use a velcro cell phone case clipped to my belt though.

Awesome! I just recently bought a Blackhawk size 4 for my Glock 27 but haven't tried it with the PM9 yet. Blackhawk says that size 4 is good for subcompact 40S&W and 9mm (which means Glock I'm sure), but glad to hear it works for the PM9 too.

Last edited:
I suppose it could happen, but it has never happened to me in the 2-1/2 years I have owned it. Don't get me wrong, I only carry it in the summer time when the weather calls for a pair of shorts and a Tshirt, but when it is really hot, it is nice to know that I have it with me.
I will also carry it when concealment is a must or if just running out to the store etc. Great little gun.

Great to hear, thanks. I'm really excited about this little gun. I can't keep my hands off it :).

Out here in Vegas there are so many summer like days a smaller CC like the Kahr is even more valuable.

The safety can just be left off. It would be impossible to engage by accident. It's hard to engage period.

I don't own one so I'm not familiar personally with the safety on the PM9, only have read that it is a bit awkward to use. On my SR9c it is very easy to engage/disengage in a natural motion similar to a 1911, which is why I use mine since I have had it accidentally engage as well as disengage while carrying. I figure that if I train to always sweep it off on the draw, then I will never have an "uh oh" pulling the trigger under stress and have nothing happen. If I buy a PM9 (which is on my short list of mouse guns), I will try to get a free state version without a safety if possible, or just wait until I move because like I said, I don't want any hardware on the gun that can malfunction if it gets snagged on something and engages.

I don't own one so I'm not familiar personally with the safety on the PM9, only have read that it is a bit awkward to use. On my SR9c it is very easy to engage/disengage in a natural motion similar to a 1911, which is why I use mine since I have had it accidentally engage as well as disengage while carrying. I figure that if I train to always sweep it off on the draw, then I will never have an "uh oh" pulling the trigger under stress and have nothing happen. If I buy a PM9 (which is on my short list of mouse guns), I will try to get a free state version without a safety if possible, or just wait until I move because like I said, I don't want any hardware on the gun that can malfunction if it gets snagged on something and engages.

I think you're right about training with the safety on, if you have a MA version, that way you're covered either way. If you concealed it thinking the safety was off, and it accidentily became activated, you could find yourself trying to pull the trigger on a locked gun. If you're trained to always disengage the safety, whether it's off or on, you'll be covered (assuming the split second of time you lose won't be a factor).

This is what happens when you get temporary political hacks in office who think they need to butt into every aspect of your lives. Liberal idiots, literate idiots, if you will. It still pisses me off and I'm 3000 miles away now.

I hate the SR9c safety. It's way too large and I'm afraid I'll engage it if my thumb hits the massive piece of shit. Plus when I did the trigger work, it was a bitch to put back together. It works by pivoting and then locking on a detent (which is tiny). I spent hours trying to find the thing. I don't know, Ruger is a FUDD company and they love adding obscene safeties to their firearms. I mean seriously, what does it have like 3 safties? Mag disconnect, that huge red LCI, and a manual safety [rolleyes]

I love my SR9c but this is my only gripe with it. I couldn't rip the mag disconnect out quick enough. I might dremel down the flag someday so it doesn't stick up so far but meh, it's not a priority.

I hate the SR9c safety. It's way too large and I'm afraid I'll engage it if my thumb hits the massive piece of shit. Plus when I did the trigger work, it was a bitch to put back together. It works by pivoting and then locking on a detent (which is tiny). I spent hours trying to find the thing. I don't know, Ruger is a FUDD company and they love adding obscene safeties to their firearms. I mean seriously, what does it have like 3 safties? Mag disconnect, that huge red LCI, and a manual safety [rolleyes]

Don't forget the safety in the trigger.

Disclaimer: I love my SR9c despite its bountiful safeties.

Back
Top Bottom