• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 - MA Compliant vs. Free State

I am in the market for a PM9 and I am tossed between the MA compliant version vs. waiting for a free state version.

Besides the MA Comliant version being covered in dumb enscriptions, the loaded chamber indicator and the safety, is there any other significnat difference worth noting?

Am I correct in understanding that the Free state versions ALSO have the enhanced trigger?

Kahr’s new enhanced trigger will be featured on Kahr models with external safeties and loaded chamber indicators. The enhanced trigger has a shorter length of pull compared to the Kahr standard trigger. The new enhanced trigger has a 1/4” length of pull with an approximate 7.5 lb. trigger pull weight compared to a 3/8” length of pull for the standard trigger. The trigger pull weight for the enhanced trigger is the same as the standard trigger, approximately 7.5 lb.

No external safety, no enhanced trigger.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-w-Night-Sights-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

I have the MA version and love it.

Last edited:
I am in the market for a PM9 and I am tossed between the MA compliant version vs. waiting for a free state version.

Besides the MA Comliant version being covered in dumb enscriptions, the loaded chamber indicator and the safety, is there any other significnat difference worth noting?

The mass version of the gun is way overpriced. That's the biggest "significant" difference.

-Mike

I bought mine in Vermont and if its an enhanced trigger you could have fooled me. I like the gun a lot but its a long pull with a long reset, its not a gun you buy because the trigger is tit. Its an expensive gun everywhere, maybe its more in MA but its not cheap hardware in Vermont either.

EDIT - I see you only get the enhanced trigger on the MA version because of the safety. Get the MA version and the better trigger.

Last edited:
I bought mine in Vermont and if its an enhanced trigger you could have fooled me. I like the gun a lot but its a long pull with a long reset, its not a gun you buy because the trigger is tit. Its an expensive gun everywhere, maybe its more in MA but its not cheap hardware in Vermont either.

EDIT - I see you only get the enhanced trigger on the MA version because of the safety. Get the MA version and the better trigger.

I've fired both versions and I don't really think the MA trigger is any "better". Maybe it has a lighter TRS in it or something, but it's still DAO, with a long reset. The pull weight might be different but it wasn't substantial enough for me to notice... maybe I would in a side by side comparison.

-Mike

I've fired both versions and I don't really think the MA trigger is any "better". Maybe it has a lighter TRS in it or something, but it's still DAO, with a long reset. The pull weight might be different but it wasn't substantial enough for me to notice... maybe I would in a side by comparison

-Mike

Same here i'll do a side by side comparison with my non mass and my buddys ma version next time i go to the range.

As previously noted, the MA version has an LCI and a safety that goes the wrong way. I also think the MA version isn't available in black. I'd go with the free state version if you can find one.

I've fired both versions and I don't really think the MA trigger is any "better". Maybe it has a lighter TRS in it or something, but it's still DAO, with a long reset. The pull weight might be different but it wasn't substantial enough for me to notice... maybe I would in a side by side comparison.

-Mike

From what I gather the pull weight should be the same, it's just got a shorter reset.

As previously noted, the MA version has an LCI and a safety that goes the wrong way. I also think the MA version isn't available in black. I'd go with the free state version if you can find one.

My P9 is the all black version, it shows holster wear pretty bad. I went two tone on the PM9. If you are a weeny like me and hate the look of worn shit, go with two tone. Sounds like the consensus is the enhanced trigger is not a noticeable improvement, that sucks I was thinking of looking into it for my Kahrs.

My P9 is the all black version, it shows holster wear pretty bad. I went two tone on the PM9. If you are a weeny like me and hate the look of worn shit, go with two tone. Sounds like the consensus is the enhanced trigger is not a noticeable improvement, that sucks I was thinking of looking into it for my Kahrs.

That's funny regarding the finish. Like you, I hate worn looking shit, but I hate 2 tone guns even more, so if I get a MA version I will probably cerakote it black anyway. The only way I could tolerate the mismatched slide would be to polish it, but I don't like a lot of flash on a carry gun in case my shirt rides up or something.

Not to derail here but I recently read an article somewhere arguing that black and matte finishes were superior to chrome for carry, the idea being that if you needed to keep it hidden in somehow from a bg, it doesn't reflect light and draw attention.

carry on

I'm convinced the safety was designed by someone in Marsha's office just to **** with my head.

The external safety allows the gun to have a trigger pull less than 10 lbs. Fine, just leave it off and treat it like a non-MA gun.

FWIW, I also have a pre-AG K9 Elite 98, with their enhanced trigger with a shorter reset. Nice piece of kit.

My PM9 is a black free state version. There's no holster wear on the slide whatsoever. However, it basically sits in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and I don't take it out of the holster unless I use it at the range. Also, the black finish on mine is Ionbond DLC which Kahr used to use. They changed to a different black finish after I got mine and I don't know what process it is.

Also, yes I know guns are supposed to be left in holsters, but in the 5 years I've had the PM9, I've never found any hint of rust on it.

Not to derail here but I recently read an article somewhere arguing that black and matte finishes were superior to chrome for carry, the idea being that if you needed to keep it hidden in somehow from a bg, it doesn't reflect light and draw attention.

carry on

The two tone Kahr's are matte for sure, not polished.

I shot one at the range about two months ago. Other then being really small the trigger was better then both of my M&P's with MA triggers right out of the box. Long pull but a crisp brake.

It doesnt matter , get what comes up 1st . I had one for 2 weeks, didnt like the long trig but was a well made easy conceal carry. safety never was in the way.shot dead on at 25 ft too.

Back
Top Bottom