• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr CW380, First Impressions and Ammo Questions

This past weekend I bought a new Kahr CW380 to be carried in a pocket.

First impression is that its a quality pocket pistol well worth the money over my other 2 choices in initial quality. I was also looking at an LCP and Bodyguard and after handling all 3, and working their different features, it was an obvious choice for me.

Disclaimer: I had no false hope expecting a brand new gun to be flawless and ready to depend my life on it at round count: 0. Just looking to get the gun to fire reliably, and learn the break-in process better. I think Kahr says 200 rounds, but I think that might be optimistic.

I picked up a box of Sig 'Precision' range ammo, lubed the gun, and loaded the mags and went out back to fire it for the first time. LOTS of what Im going to call Failure to return to Battery. I'm not sure if this is the right term but the slide would get stuck halfway closed with the next round jammed.. Initially I thought it was my grip, but I changed up and its not my grip.

Sometimes, I could gently push the slide forward with the pad of my thumb, sometimes I had to persuade the slide back and forth often ejecting the round and moving onto the next on in the mag, sometimes with the same result.

Moving forward, I would like some input on ammo and different bullet shapes, as I noticed the Sig ammo has a flat nose that was catching on the top edge of the barrel as it rotates into place. (sorry I don't have pictures of this). Compared to the boxes of Blazer I just bought (and have not shot yet) which definitely has a round nose. Will the round nose Blazer feed better? Once the gun cycles reliably, will I have the same issues with hollow points? Also, before I get the chance to shoot next, I'm going to rack the slide about 157,000 times so any mating surfaces can seat.

All 50 rounds from the box were fired. The little gun is accurate, the trigger is long (DAO), but smooth and felt recoil was far less than anticipated. And it absolutely will disappear in a pocket.

There are a few reports that Kahr's can be picky with ammo, The Kahr at MFS refused to even cycle or fire the Fiochi.

I have a cw380 and struggled through the first 300 rds with this same problem. It wouldn't happen every mag but sometimes multiple times in the same mag. I cleaned again and shot another 250 rds and it was better but still occuring. The manual says that 500 rds is the break in period, so just kept rolling with it. I then had 100 rds failure free so figured it was sorted out. However took it to the range the other day and began to experience the problem again. If it continues to be a problem after 1000 rds, I will ask Kahr about it.

If you figure out something please post about it.

failure to batter on the CW380 i had the same issue. the problem was the striker channel was full of grease and gunk. it's a bitch to get int here to clean out but will probably solve your issue. if you're unable to dissasemble slide then some spray cleaner pushed through the striker channel can probably accomplish the same. do not lubricate in the channel.

in terms of ammo pickiness, the CW380 will become less ammo picky with more rounds fired through it. keep the gun clean. there's really no way to predict with certainty what ammo will and will not function. personally i see no point in 380 hollow points (with exception of the hornady FTX projectile) since they don't penetrate worth a crap. underwood loads the all copper Lehigh projectiles that are excellent, cycle well in every 380 i own and seem to perform well. price is limiting factor.

Last edited:
There are a few reports that Kahr's can be picky with ammo, The Kahr at MFS refused to even cycle or fire the Fiochi.
I've never had any ammo issues with a Kahr K9 that I had owned for 15+ years, or my pm9 which I've had for 4 or 5 years.

Keep in mind that rental guns are not cared for the way the most of care for our guns. I recently rented a gun at a range and it was absolutely filthy. And I had issues with it.

I find round nosed bullets work best. It is such a tiny gun and getting the bullet from the mag to the chamber is quite a feat. Any round nosed range ammo should work fine (like the Blazer you have) and for self defense ammo, try the PolyCase Inceptor bullets. I have found them to feed more reliably than hollow points. And the break in period is real, so hang in there and don't get discouraged. It is a quality gun and worth it.

The blazer should work better, if it doesn't clear up you may have to the end of the barrel reamed, stay away from fochia

FWIW, I bought a Springfield 911 in .380 and it's eaten various brands of range and carry ammo without issue from day one. Very pleased with it.

Thanks everyone for their replies so far. I have no plans on giving up after 50 rounds.

From what I could see when the flat nosed bullets jammed, its a mixed result of the bullet shape getting caught on the top edge of the barrel opening, AND the orientation of the bullet as it leaves the mag follower (nose dive?). Both issues were observed.

The plan is to run a bunch of round nose ammo through it, and then play with a mix of different shaped bullets to see if there's a direct correlation. Also, Magguts. There seems to be enough people talking online about these exact issues, and the remedies you are posting. Contacting Kahr and/or machine work will be a last resort.

The Springfield 911 looked nice, but its bigger and more expensive than I wanted in a pocket gun.

1) fiocchi 380 tends to be loaded light and may not be good for a modern tilting barrel design. most people outside the US are shooting old crap blowback .380's so Fiocchi is likely loading their ammo accordingly. it's not crap ammo it's just not warm enough to cycle some 380's like a kahr.

2) battery failure and feed failure are different. are you having both?

3) the most common malfunction with a Kahr is the shooter engaging the slide stop. if you are having "feed failures", get the pistol jammed and look at the slide stop and ensure it is not engaged (every shooter will deny this malfunction until they see it themselves)

4) Kahr states a ~200 (?500) round break-in period and they mean it. if you're only at 50 rounds then fire ~200 more before deciding there is issue

5) people get very excited about "bullet profile", but feeding issues are just as likely related to inability of extractor to engage the case rim

6) when a new striker gun is failure-to-go-into-battery, occluded striker channel should be the first consideration. occlusion can be a manufacturing error although most commonly it's due to grease or preservation methods from the factory

7) the Kahr 380 can be limp-wristed into short stroking the slide. if there are cycling issues would have another shooter try as well

8) warmer ammo and heavier projectiles will ensure more robust cycling

9) if the mag-guts follower "fixes" cycling issues then there's something inherently wrong and i would not trust that setup for defensive purpose

10) your gun does NOT need barrel reaming or machine work

Last edited:
I am very close to acquiring a cw380 for pocket carry. The liquore store I work at has a no-firearm policy...although many do carry (aprox. 35 stores). I like the quality and, especially, the dao trigger. With one round chambered, there is no pre-loading of the striker.

It seems the choice in 380 pocket carry is fairly easy to make because of this firearm...as compared to the abundance of less-than-full size 9mm's.

During extensive research and comparisons to the other 380 options, it seems the Kahr may require a break-in with 150-200 rounds...albeit, with no recommendation of steel-case ammo.

A wonderful 14 minute youtube video by richarddbeck titled "How to get your kahr cw380 to cycle any ammo" refers to an extractor design. (Sorry I'm no good at posting url.)

The video shows and explains, very well, a problem with a corner of the extractor that does not allow any upward canting of a round as it travels toward the feed ramp. The author merely rounds the corner off.

There is speculation as to whether or not Kahr has taken notice and followed suit with current production practices.

Enjoy your little workhorse. I hope to myself, soon.

Back
Top Bottom