• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr,229 or 239

I have limited trigger time with a 229 and found it to be very well made, accurate and reliable, but not a fit for me. I'm wondering if you are in a location where you could go and rent some or all of these guns and give them a try?

They're all good guns, but they're three different animals.

If you are looking to carry something, a Kahr is probably going to work better for that purpose because most of their guns are flatter and smaller. On the other hand I've carried my P228 and P229 with little difficulty.

-Mike

They're all good guns, but they're three different animals.

+1

Very different animals. Kahr K9/K40 are very small, very slim guns. Easy to carry concealed. The K40 recoil is stiff. The K9 is not. Kahr's have a very long, smooth trigger pull, with a relatively long reset. They are accurate, but take some work to shoot quickly and accurately. These are single stack guns. They have a nice low bore axis, so they don't have much muzzle rise.

The 229 is a much, much larger gun, with a double stack magazine, and a DA/SA. The DA trigger is ok, the SA trigger is pretty good. It will take a fair bit of work to be able to quickly and accurately fire the first DA shot and the second SA shot. Sigs are generally pretty accurate.

The 239 is a single stack gun, significantly smaller than the 229, but still much bigger than the K9/K40. I find the 239 to feel top-heavy in your hands. It has the same DA/SA trigger like the 229. I find the 239 to have a lot of muzzle rise, probably due to the high bore axis. It is a single stack gun, with a capacity similar to the K9/K40, but still significantly larger.

You really should try to shoot them if you can, because they are very different guns.

I didn't like the P239 I shot, but loved the P229. Haven't shot a Kahr yet. Don't currently own a Sig.

What I'm about to add simply confirms the wisdom of MassMark (to wit, that you have to try all three and see which "fits" you best):

I think the P239 in 9 mm is one of the finest off-duty carry autos I've ever encountered.

It is extremely easy to shoot and extremely accurate (you need both to be effective).

While the stocks feel funny at first (too hard), they work quite well.

The pistol is absolutedly reliable.

The pistol is a dream to field strip and clean properly (which means that you'll do it), and it is not particularly sensitive to lube level.

I probably couldn't fully conceal mine in a tuxedo (doubt I'd try), but for everyday use I have an expensive pancake and an inexpensive paddle and have never encountered an issue with either.

Back
Top Bottom