• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KAC SR-25 ACC vs SCAR 17S - Which one and why?

SMASHING MACHINE

NES Member
KAC SR-25 ACC vs SCAR 17S: Although I am essentially an indentured servant, I am highly interested in the supposed competition between these two rifles right now for battle rifle supremacy. Any researched input or opinion is valued.

Donkey balls are big and sweaty, and because they're flaming you might singe your eyebrows. Forget the risk of getting kicked by that Donkey.

If you like ar chargins habdle, then KAC, if you like AK charging handle get scar.

If you like short accurate 8lb rifle get scar . If you like 11-13 lb rifle .. get KAC.

Also..

SCAR MK20 is the KAC with scar features coming out soon.

There is a reason the scar keeps getting mentioned as an amazing rifle for the rhings it can do

I owned a sig 716 dmr , aka piston driven driven ar10 kac

And still went to the scar

KAC SR-25 ACC vs SCAR 17S: Although I am essentially an indentured servant, I am highly interested in the supposed competition between these two rifles right now for battle rifle supremacy. Any researched input or opinion is valued.

If ur looking for a lightweight, insanely reliable, surprisingly accurate, smooth shooting battle rifle, buy the Scar.
The KAC is more of a DMR rifle, to me these 2 rifles are apples and oranges.

If you like ar chargins habdle, then KAC, if you like AK charging handle get scar.

If you like short accurate 8lb rifle get scar . If you like 11-13 lb rifle .. get KAC.

The KAC is 8.4 lbs.

Are they really $4300? Wow, are they like HK, where they charge a huge premium cause the SEALS use them?

The KAC is 8.4 lbs.

Are they really $4300? Wow, are they like HK, where they charge a huge premium cause the SEALS use them?

Id like to see the KAC on a scale, unless they used a pencil barrel, a magnesium alloy rail and maybe a Ti bolt carrier, id love to know how they got it literally 1.5- 2lbs or more lighter than every other Ar-308 on the market.?

Regardless of price, which is absurd for the KAC, i'd still take the SCAR. For me the major upside was the operating system, mechanically its a more reliable system, easier to keep clean, super smooth operation (low recoil).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DI isn't reliable by any means, id trust both with my life, but the SCAR was made to have the snot kicked out of it and not have any worries, Its a notoriously versatile rifle and has had plenty of time proving this since it was first introduced.

For a SHTF Battle rifle this is an easy decision, SCAR all the way.

The KAC is a direct impingement gun. As such it suffers from all the same strong and weak points as a traditional AR.

Its also an AR with all its plusses and minuses, except that KAC makes it pretty ambidextrous.

The SCAR is a clean sheet. Its lighter, the stock folds, its piston driven. Which while not inherently a better system, is a cleaner system without a doubt.

There is no debating that DI ARs generally need more cleaning and lubricating than a SCAR to continue running, especially when shooting suppressed.
I have a 10.5" AR that I run with a 10.5" LMT upper with a can always attached. After 200 rounds it is pretty much bone dry inside, and dirty.

My SCAR 16 run suppressed a similar number of rounds will be spotless inside and any oil originally applied will still be there.

If I was kicking in doors, I'd take the SCAR 16 or 17.
If I was trying to hit something at 600 yards, I'd take the SR-25.

Don

SCAR 17 - more flexible platform with much third party support and built ground up to be piston not an adaptation.
I would also invest in the Handl Defense lower replacement - https://www.handldefense.com/
Look under "trigger modules" - I think you'll see the advantage once you check it out.
Beyond that it is accurate, reliable and solidly engineered.
Brian

At that price range I would start looking at the Nemo Omen or Tango. KAC is more bluster than performance at that price so between the two probably the SCAR.

Interesting input thus far. SCAR seems to be heavily favored. I often wonder if it is because of the asking price that people resent companies like KAC and punish them in this manner. No doubt, the SCAR Heavy is a beautiful rifle. Anyone had poor experiences with it?

Interesting input thus far. SCAR seems to be heavily favored. I often wonder if it is because of the asking price that people resent companies like KAC and punish them in this manner. No doubt, the SCAR Heavy is a beautiful rifle. Anyone had poor experiences with it?

I think once you open the budget to $5k that there is an impressive array of options that surpass the KAC in value for dollar. KAC has never been known for providing a high value-dollar ratio. High End products yes but value... Not so much.

At that price range I would start looking at the Nemo Omen or Tango. KAC is more bluster than performance at that price so between the two probably the SCAR.

I'll have what you're smoking. Nemo over a KAC? Jesus....

Pay a premium, get a premium OP. I have both. If I'm grabbing one out of the safe it's the scar, but only because my Elcan is on it.

I've only got 50 or 60 rounds through my SCAR 17. (SCAR Heavy is the term for the select-fire military version). However with no load development at all, but also sporting a Geissele trigger, it will shoot my 168 SMK handloads developed for my Savage 10 FCP into about one MOA. I'm talking a real MOA, average of several 5 shot groups. Not a cherry picked "best of" group of 3.

I consider this to be impressive for a pencil barreled, chrome lined, piston driven gun.

Don

p.s. Remember that all else being equal, a DI gun will be more accurate than a piston gun because the piston introduces bending forces into the barrel with every shot, which a DI system does not do.

[video=youtube_share;55Rt3l5CZKI]http://youtu.be/55Rt3l5CZKI[/video]

My SCAR 17 would also do 1 MOA w Norma match ammo. That said, I'd rather have a couple AR-10s that shoot just as well with more after market options than the SCAR 17. I predict it'll be let go during the next wave of panic buying or when it comes time to buy a house - whichever is first.

If the SCAR was the same price as the KAC i'd still choose the SCAR. IMHO it an all around better rifle, it's a no bullshit battle rifle.

I've only got 50 or 60 rounds through my SCAR 17. (SCAR Heavy is the term for the select-fire military version). However with no load development at all, but also sporting a Geissele trigger, it will shoot my 168 SMK handloads developed for my Savage 10 FCP into about one MOA. I'm talking a real MOA, average of several 5 shot groups. Not a cherry picked "best of" group of 3.

I consider this to be impressive for a pencil barreled, chrome lined, piston driven gun.

Don

p.s. Remember that all else being equal, a DI gun will be more accurate than a piston gun because the piston introduces bending forces into the barrel with every shot, which a DI system does not do.

[video=youtube_share;55Rt3l5CZKI]http://youtu.be/55Rt3l5CZKI[/video]

See, i hate these SCAR 17 comparison threads, they always turn out to be an accuracy battle, because honestly it's the only possible fault u can give the SCAR, and u cant really even call it a fault. People forget the intended purpose of the SCAR, they also don't know how surprisingly accurate in can be with good ammo, then they end up comparing it to another rifle that has a different purpose.
I don't like comparing 2 different rifles, the KAC has always been a DMR rifle, but then they chop the barrel to 16" and i guess it becomes a battle rifle? I guess it can be if u want it to be, but if that's the case then lets not nit pick the accuracy of either rifle. Like the FAL and the HK91, while both great classic battle rifles, neither are notorious for amazing accuracy like a KAC or a Larue, but both will go down in history for what we all know them as, u cant go wrong for owning either one, they are just less refined than the SCAR.
In reality i think the SCAR gets inadvertently compared to much higher end rifles for few reasons, it's price, it's actually pretty damn accurate, and it has proven itself to be a great 308 platform.

My SCAR 17 would also do 1 MOA w Norma match ammo. That said, I'd rather have a couple AR-10s that shoot just as well with more after market options than the SCAR 17. I predict it'll be let go during the next wave of panic buying or when it comes time to buy a house - whichever is first.

I find the SCAR is all i need to fill that badass SHTF role. If it's quantity u like then to each there own, if u have a specific purpose for that said rifle then that's another reason for multiple guns, but other than that the SCAR fills a lot of roles very well.
And what would u really need to change on the SCAR that can't be changed, there are tons of custom SCAR parts on the market now? Triggers, stocks, rails, every lower small part u can change on an AR u can change on a SCAR, Lower receivers to accept standard mags are available. You could upgrade almost every part on the scar (except the BCG, which isn't necessary) and still cost less than the KAC.

Last edited:
I find i don't need multiple 308 rifles, the SCAR is all i need to fill that badass SHTF role. If it's quantity u like then to each there own, if u have a specific purpose for that said rifle then that's another reason for multiple guns, but other than that the SCAR fills a lot of roles very well.
And what would u really need to change on the SCAR that can't be changed, there are tons of custom SCAR parts on the market now? Triggers, stocks, rails, every lower small part u can change on an AR u can change on a SCAR, Lower receivers to accept standard mags are available. You could upgrade almost every part on the scar (except the BCG, which isn't necessary) and still cost less than the KAC.

I hate the hand guard layout / quad rail setup. And there may be a good after market but I'd guess just about everything (from small parts to barrels) cost 50%+ more than AR-10 parts?

I hate the hand guard layout / quad rail setup. And there may be a good after market but I'd guess just about everything (from small parts to barrels) cost 50%+ more than AR-10 parts?

If u can buy or build 2 AR-10's and also own a SCAR, u can afford to outfit a SCAR with no issue. U can eliminate the quad rails on the SCAR with a different rail (kenetic) or change the oem sections to keymod and or M-lock, there are companies than make them.

Last edited:
There is just no reason to spend that much money on either of em. Build a quality AR10 for 1500.. it will be exactly what you want and will probably be much lighter than either of them.

There is just no reason to spend that much money on either of em. Build a quality AR10 for 1500.. it will be exactly what you want and will probably be much lighter than either of them.

How will it miraculously be lighter, unless ur using unobtainium for all the parts, ? Now the price just went way up. Les than 8lbs for the Scar is about as light as u'll ever get without spending a mint on parts. I have "quality". 5.56 rifles that are heavier and quality 5.56 rifles that are lighter but come at a much higher cost. Everyone's opinion is different on quality, if u want quality price sets the bar.

Yeah 8lbs is heavy for something that cost 2500 - 3200 respectively.

You can very easily get a AR10 down around 7lbs or less for 1500.. thats half the money.

Regardless of weight.. even if it was the same weight. Your paying 3200 because its says Knights Armament on it? The SCAR is basically a whole different platform so that doesn't really apply here.

AR10s used to be pretty much shit. KAC WAS one of the only companies that could make one that worked. Its not that way anymore.. there is no reason to spend 3200+ on a 308 rifle unless you just have to have a KAC because its a KAC.

Last edited:
Yeah 8lbs is heavy for something that cost 2500 - 3200 respectively.

You can very easily get a AR10 down around 7lbs or less for 1500.. thats half the money.

Regardless of weight.. even if it was the same weight. Your paying 3200 because its says Knights Armament on it? The SCAR is basically a whole different platform so that doesn't really apply here.

AR10s used to be pretty much shit. KAC WAS one of the only companies that could make one that worked. Its not that way anymore.. there is no reason to spend 3200+ on a 308 rifle unless you just have to have a KAC because its a KAC.

We are talking about 308's here, 8lbs for a 308 is very light, if u can get it below that ur doing incredibly well. I'm betting u can't get below 8lbs on a basement build for $1500, unless ur using cheesy or super expensive unobtanium parts. I want something solid if I want a 308 battle rifle for SHTF scenarios.

The scar is a different platform, but we are talking about it, the OP is debating between that and the KAC, so it's relevant. I'll take the scars piston platform over the gas, to make a long story short.

I'm pretty sure the KAC is $4100, so no, I wouldn't buy it either, not for a normal gas gun, it makes the scar look like a bargain. But I have no issue paying for a high quality tool, and ill guarantee ull see and feel the difference between ur basement build and the KAC. Does it need to be 4100, hell no, but iI don't want a 1500 bottom of the barrel basement build, and I'm guessing the OP doesn't either.

Last edited:
I built a 16" 308 AR, direct impingement with the best of everything, at least as far as accuracy goes. (Mega billet receiver, Lilja heavy barrel with matching bolt) I'll weigh it tonight. I don't think its more than 8 lbs. The weight in an AR comes from all the crap people hang off them. Which isn't what we are talking about here.

Don

Back
Top Bottom