KAC rear sights legit?

The supply of stolen government property (or DRMOed property) has dried up, so prices are back up. This thread was created on the very tail-end of the dump onto the market.

You are incorrect.

I'm not going to advise anyone to buy or not to buy, but the seller OP referenced (at link #10 in this very thread) has told me that he has some more, and that HIS source for them acquired the sights at a DRMO auction.

Is that true? I have no way of knowing.

If your conscience is uneasy, perhaps make an inward pledge to yourself to never mount them on a safe queen or a range toy, and only to mount them on a rifle which you would use to defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. That way Uncle Sugar isn't out a thing, and neither is the taxpayer--the sights are still serving the cause of national defense, they just found their way down the food chain onto the rifles of the unorganized militia.

Personally I would never buy a single set, much less four, because I would not want to be seen as a Larper, or a gear-fixated homosexual, or an airsoft poser. In fact, like many on this site who were dead set against open carry at Lobby Day, I plan to vote for Bernie, and I don't even like guns. But hey--you do you. This is America, and America is about freedom.

Also what’s the consensus on Troy sights? Do they have an “alternative lifestyle” or you can buy with confidence

I have no problem believing that the government is wasteful enough with our tax dollars that they would DRMO a hundred thousand dollars worth of perfectly good military equipment.

Indeed. They’ve given away tens of millions worth of MRAPS so local pds could have their very own special swat tanks, so a few hundred k is a mere drop in the trough.

So what IS the line of thought on "BUIS", anyhow?

If it is only for "backup", and is stored in a down position 99.9999% of the time, wouldn't light weight plastic do just as well? And in that case, which ones? You really don't need to overthink this for "BACKUP" sights, do you?

That said, what would fit the above description? (Think light, inexpensive, and not a lot of thought into it necessary.)

If it is only for "backup", and is stored in a down position 99.9999% of the time, wouldn't light weight plastic do just as well? And in that case, which ones? You really don't need to overthink this for "BACKUP" sights, do you?

That said, what would fit the above description? (Think light, inexpensive, and not a lot of thought into it necessary.)

Quality primary optics fail so little and have such good battery life that if i see a guy with an aimpoint micro on a rifle but no backups i dont even give it a second look anymore.

Stolen kac irons for the price of plastic ones is a no brainer, who cares if they're stolen, the government stole my money to buy them, stealing from the government isnt really theft.

I like to have them and use them. I do remove the optic so I can use the BUIS. I like the Matech I have you can buy them used for under $50 and use the standard front sight. I also have KAC and Troy but I promise I’ll sell the Troy. Also I’ll sell anything smith and Wesson, colt and HK but that’s only because other people thinks HK hates us. I think the magpul for the money are fine or whatever came stock with your upper is fine too.
If you are building a “clone”. You need clone correct sights.
I do prefer HK style front sights because that’s what I was more familiar with using a G3.

I have the KAC Buis because they came with my rifle. I have to say having used a bunch of different irons over the years, the KAC's are by far the nicest ones I've zero'd.

The usefulness of a BUIS is very dependent on the use of the rifle. For modern combat applications where patrols rarely last more than 36 hours and supply lines are close? They’re not that useful anymore given how reliable modern optics are. You would also have teammates that can pick up your slack and support by fire/CAS on a radio if needed. People just going to the range or using the gun for home defense also don’t really need a BUIS. Repairs/logistics are close by, and in the distance and violence of action of a home invasion, trying to flip up BUIS won’t be very helpful either. Do-witnessed to some degree, I could see if people really want redundancy for home defense.

However, if you are taking a rifle on a week long+ trip into deep woods and would have no means of repairing a broken optic, they make a little more sense. Same goes for anybody who wants a rifle to be capable in the apocalypse.

I have the KAC Buis because they came with my rifle. I have to say having used a bunch of different irons over the years, the KAC's are by far the nicest ones I've zero'd.

How sturdy are they compared to Matech sights? For a particular application, I’d like folding rear to be adjustable for range, but the Matech doesn’t return to zero well enough when flipped up for shots past 300. Even out to 300, it’s larger aperture and wiggly-ness make it noticeable harder to shoot precisely than a carry handle.

How sturdy are they compared to Matech sights? For a particular application, I’d like folding rear to be adjustable for range, but the Matech doesn’t return to zero well enough when flipped up for shots past 300. Even out to 300, it’s larger aperture and wiggly-ness make it noticeable harder to shoot precisely than a carry handle.

I hate matech sights, they feel like shit, wobble around, and its easy to knock the elevation adjustment off your zero. The Knights sights are definitely better.

The usefulness of a BUIS is very dependent on the use of the rifle. For modern combat applications where patrols rarely last more than 36 hours and supply lines are close? They’re not that useful anymore given how reliable modern optics are. You would also have teammates that can pick up your slack and support by fire/CAS on a radio if needed. People just going to the range or using the gun for home defense also don’t really need a BUIS. Repairs/logistics are close by, and in the distance and violence of action of a home invasion, trying to flip up BUIS won’t be very helpful either. Do-witnessed to some degree, I could see if people really want redundancy for home defense.

However, if you are taking a rifle on a week long+ trip into deep woods and would have no means of repairing a broken optic, they make a little more sense. Same goes for anybody who wants a rifle to be capable in the apocalypse.

Yeah. Id be more worried about an aimpoint getting shot off my rifle than it breaking or the battery dying tbh lol. Same with most any high end optic, nightforce, leupold, trijicon, s&b, kahles, etc.

I like to have them and use them. I do remove the optic so I can use the BUIS. I like the Matech I have you can buy them used for under $50 and use the standard front sight. I also have KAC and Troy but I promise I’ll sell the Troy. Also I’ll sell anything smith and Wesson, colt and HK but that’s only because other people thinks HK hates us. I think the magpul for the money are fine or whatever came stock with your upper is fine too.
If you are building a “clone”. You need clone correct sights.
I do prefer HK style front sights because that’s what I was more familiar with using a G3.

Well colt, s&w, and hk all suck too so you'd be doing yourself a favor.

Thoughts on the knock-offs/copy-cats?

Back
Top Bottom