KA-BAR TDI

Which model? They are all legal as far as I know, But Boston has length limits to be aware of.

Boston, MA: It is illegal to carry on your person or in a vehicle any knife with a blade longer than 2.5-inches unless it is to be used on a job “which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife.” A special city license is required by most knife retailers (only department and hardware stores exempted .

The "small" TDI has a 2.313" blade and would be ok.
The "Large" TDI has a 3.688" blade and would not be "Boston OK"...

Thanks! I was thinking about the smaller blade. Not that I'm in Boston very often, I'm thinking the smaller one will be easier to conceal.

Last edited:
There are a few members here that know quite a bit about the TDI, its use and can give you a ton of support.

I figured they would have tapped in by now, but I'm sure they will be along shortly.

From what I've read about the knife, it is a policeman's last-ditch weapon. So, you know it has to be effective...

~Enbloc

Beth,

There is also a "Law Enforcement- Investigator" model that looks nice... and extra grippy.

Ka-Bar-TDI-Investigator-Law-Enforcement-Fixed-Black-BHQ-107377-jr-large.jpg

The standard "LE" one gets the best reviews though...

ka-bar-tdi-knife-02-1480-black-plain-large.jpg

I have probably 5 of these. They are awesome. Incredibly sharp, MA legal and carry well. I keep one in my car and work Van. One in the house and extras for stuff like hiking. They’re super lightweight so I clip them into gymshorts if I go on night-hikes and stuff. Never know what crazy animal you may run into.

I've owned and carried one for many years now. It's a nice design, good grip and reasonable price. I've never worried about Boston's knife length laws. Unless you are doing something stupid with a knife, gun or drugs, I doubt that Boston PD gives a damn about the feel-good law.

Oddly, It might be a "collectable" in a few years, as I can not see a lot of them being sold... 🤔

Just looking at the Ka-Bar TDI online - I like the looks of it. Anyone know if it's legal in MA? Anyone have any experience with it?

Very good 'get your hands off me' knife. Very clearly made for fighting and nothing else. Strange blade angle, I use only forward handed strong side. Needs its own fighting style.

Block a baseball bat swing like you would normally, except with that in your strong hand, at the limit of the swing shift your bodyweight into the blade and let the knife travel up the bat acting like a guide and you'll take that person right out of the fight.

If you're into pretty karate dance movey hand circle gang signs then there's a lot of pretty viable parry and cut/strip stuff there too, but with no finger hole retention is a problem for making circles, the karambit it the better choice here.

Might be very good back handed weak side for gun retention, but if that really was your game then you'd probably want a regular fixed blade fighting knife just for the reach.

Last edited:
I like that it looks like you could still land a punch to an attacker's face if that might end the fight without a lethal blow. Is this the case?
Or, would the ergonomics of the knife break your hand doing so?

kabar-5.jpg

I ordered a TDI-Investigator through Amazon To take advantage of adding another "Below free-shipping" item.

The cost + tax was $40.27 (which still came in cheaper than L.A. Police Gear with ship+tax and deducting discount)

If actually found some online knife dealers selling them (or, trying to) for $95 bucks. 🤪

Should be here tomorrow...

Would get the large and or the Space Cadet if a Group Buy materializes...

71EMgl6LEIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
If you're serious about a group buy, I'll wait..... I've got one in my cart. Just going back and forth between the Investigator and the Law Enforcement model
I’m serious. I just have to see what is available and get pricing. Then do the usual feeler with admin approval. Stay tuned or pm me.

I could save maybe $5 off from Amazon. But add in shipping to me and logistics of getting them to people this might not be worth it. Sorry.

Personally I’d prefer a Karambit to this KaBar. Similar shape and size, the Karambit style feels excellent in my hand with the looped retention ring that also allows for less lethal strikes to bone, nerves or right to the face with a following blade. Just my .02, I’m not a knife fighter by any means.

The one I carry is a full auto OTF Karambit from RavenCrest. It’s been in my pocket for over two years now with zero failures to fire or retract. D2 steel, just a very sharp little tiger claw with great retention and usefulness of style. 🤷‍♂️👍🏻☕

Back
Top Bottom