K98k-all-matching AX 1940

PatMcD

NES Member
I stumbled across this rifle in a Pawn shop in lewiston. Every metal part on this rifle matches. Had to buy it for $219.

[URL='http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/8eclD2Z.jpg[/img]'][/URL]

Now the bad part: She's been sporterized. D&T'd, sights removed, sporter stock. Kind of a big shame, as I understand AX's are sort of rare?

bit sad to see the DT but at least they look done right and they have plugs in them so The threads are almost certain to be fine. for $219 If you like mausers with matching numbers and eagles it would be hard to pass up for sure.
Heck even if it was just a very nicely done mauser sporter $219 is hard to pass on also!

That was a $2000 rifle for $200 (if still full stock). Rare date and code. I would have got it as well. Nice job. Get a Norwegian capture stock.

t

Last edited:
Now the bad part: She's been sporterized. D&T'd, sights removed, sporter stock. Kind of a big shame, as I understand AX's are sort of rare

Pat that’s an understatement! Spud or I can turn you on to a guy that has Norwegian parts. I agree w Tim. I would replace the stock and whatever else needed. Do it now while the parts are still around. Our friend gets them shipped in from Norway ( everything but barreled receivers). Norway is clamping down. So not much longer!

Awesome piece. I don’t think I have even seen one up close. Majpsud and I were drooling over one on GB a little while ago.

1940 was the year Erma changed it receiver code from "27" to "AX," thus the rarity, and ceased K98 production altogether in 1941. Erma made the second least number of K98's produced in WW2 (250,000), after bSw (Berlin-Suhler-Waffen: 60,000). Erma's WaA (Heeresabnahmewesen - Army Acceptance Organization) code in 1940 was e(Nazi eagle)/(over)280. The stock would be laminate and have a flat butt plate.

t

Last edited:
I'll take some pictures of the barrel tomorrow. I'm assuming it needs to be replaced.

If the barrel is not cut down, the sights can be replaced. Otherwise it may be too far gone cost wise to restore.

You can see the e/280 on some of the small parts; follower, ejector box, etc.

I had a nice 1937 bolt MM that I let go of last year.

t

Last edited:
Here's some more pics:
The barrel matches the receiver, but where the rear sight would be has been seriously messed with.

The front sight is also missing.

Here's a view of all the holes that have been D&T'd.

I have to be honest, the only reason i bought it was because it was a nice-looking sporterized Mauser by a maker I didn't recognize. My plan was to rebarrel it into something I'd like better (6.5x55, 7x57, 257 Roberts, etc). It was only when I got it back home that I looked up AX that I saw what a shame it was it had been ruined.

If I did try to get it back in fighting trim, it's still going to be a AX 1940 that has been rilled and tapped, with a mismatched barrel and stock. Is it worth it? Or continue on with my plan to rebarrel into something I want?

I'd throw some sights on it and call it a day, were you going to rechamber to 308 or a child?
A rechamber would have to be something 8mm or larger, which I don't want. I just got done with rebarreling an '03 into 35 Whelen.

Back
Top Bottom