K31

I couldn't comment on Varget specifically, but some powders get weird in a bad way with light loads. Secondary explosive effect or something like that- not really a detonation but macht nichts- end result is the same shorts-changer, if you are lucky. The mid load for 2520 was given to me by a guy that for the last few years usually wins events at Perry. Also, I'll use a light load of 4198 based on recommendation that I verified via other sources. Those are the only two light loads I use that are not specifically listed by the powder manufacturer.

The above target shot with 2520 is very consistent with other targets I have shot with this load via this rifle as well as one I had before. In each case, there is evidence of gas coming back over the cartridge. Hotter loads don't do this- I assume the brass is expanding and sealing the pressure from blowing back. Total supposition on my part, but the physical evidence is there. I bet that if I were to fire form some brass then neck size only, the reduced 2520 groups would tighten up a lot. So long as the loaded cartridges cycle OK. I bet the guy killin' it at Perry and elsewhere has his brass very well prepped for his particular rifle.
Correct some powders dont do well reduced.
As you seen you dont get full case obturation with a light load , this is why you get gas blow back. Fire forming and neck size is one solution along with some use of faster powders.
Theres known published data out there that works so no need to do any testing.
H4895 is the only powder Hodgdon claims for thier powders can be safely reduced. For bother cast and jacketed bullets.
The use of faster powders help also as it will have that initial peak pressure that expands the case.
H4895 works well for me in so many applications.
Varget also. So i go with what i can get. Right now varget takes up a lot of shelf space so i use that for most "normal" loads from 223-8mm mauser.

Any good suggestions for 7.5 swiss bunny-fart loads loads good for 100~200 yards?
I'm probably being paranoid but I'd like to wear out the barrel on my K31 as slow as possible but still would like to practice with it.

Any good suggestions for 7.5 swiss bunny-fart loads loads good for 100~200 yards?
I'm probably being paranoid but I'd like to wear out the barrel on my K31 as slow as possible but still would like to practice with it.

I've been using 35gr IMR4895 behind 168gr BTHP with great success in PPU Brass, and it seems to work well in my K11 and 1911 Long rifles as well, although point of aim is about a foot lower with either of those due to the sights. I may attempt to look for taller front sight posts at some point to compensate for this.

When you torqued the screws down where you measuring or trying to reach a certain ft pounds or just going by the feel of the screws tightening up? If measuring to a certain point, what did you set them at?

This winter I'll try Trail Boss and cast 165 grain bullets.
Un related but my trail boss test today was ehh. I have not tried cast in the K31 and I see no reason why those ranch dogs won’t do well though. I will run 2400 for the K31

I've been using 35gr IMR4895 behind 168gr BTHP with great success in PPU Brass, and it seems to work well in my K11 and 1911 Long rifles as well, although point of aim is about a foot lower with either of those due to the sights. I may attempt to look for taller front sight posts at some point to compensate for this.

wow you can go pretty low huh? I'll look into it. thanks!

When you torqued the screws down where you measuring or trying to reach a certain ft pounds or just going by the feel of the screws tightening up? If measuring to a certain point, what did you set them at?

i went by feel but can check the torque value and will post it.

Front sight opposite.
Shorter front sight brings impact up
Taller brings impact down.
Move it left shots go right , Right goes left

You can try a combination of light bullets and Trailboss powder or reduced loads with H4895. I have a link in previous post.
One person i knows runs the 125g SMKs and light side of H4895

I just picked up some Trailboss at Cabelas over the weekend. In the fall/winter I'd like to try some powderpuff loads in my K31. The 170 gr gas checked coated bullets over trailboss shot well from my A3 at 120 yards. Curious how the K31 handles them.

I just picked up some Trailboss at Cabelas over the weekend. In the fall/winter I'd like to try some powderpuff loads in my K31. The 170 gr gas checked coated bullets over trailboss shot well from my A3 at 120 yards. Curious how the K31 handles them.
really depends on the rifle bullet combo. The K31 generally has a short throat.
I have not taken the time to check my 30 cal molds The 3 I have are all nose heavy = they have very little taper so they get close to the lands quickly. I was going to pick up a K31 old from NOE but never got around to it.

311-195-RF-J1 2 cavity 1GC 1PB (K-31), NOE Bullet Moulds

I installed the 2.4mm wide sight like a telephone pole vs a street sign pole[rockon] I think this might be my last year shooting any type of rear notch style sight. Even with my Rx the rear sight is not very clear. last time I had a "double" edged rear sight. Pain in the ass.
I need to see where it shoots. Of the 4 sights I bought they are either taller or shorter. I started with the one that's the least amount of point of impact change about 1.8" higher at 100 yards. Should be ok ? If not I will install the taller and file as needed. Although the taller one will come in handy for cast loads. Hope to get out Monday or tues to check zero.

I was not ready for this trigger and first shot went left and low. Sitting , sling but with bags front and rear. If I can shoot 1/2 this good prone and keep it inside 8 ring in OH (AH) I might try a different load. The wider front sight really helps but I still see a double leading edge on the rear sight

View: https://imgur.com/a/nFnOjZt

JFC, is $800 the new norm for a K31?! Referring to the one for sale in the dealer classifieds....

It happens with them all. I remeber thinking $1200 for a crate of mosins was expensive.
if i knew more about swiss rifles back when samco global was selling them for $139 i would have bought a few vs garands and other rifles. Would have picked up a swedish sniper if i knew better then also.

Prices on all Scmidt-Rubin guns are through the roof but a lot of them don’t move at the new prices. Local Cabelas has racks of 1889s, 96/11s, and both K11 rifles and carbines for 550-650. Saw a beautiful tiger striped K11 Carbine months back for 650, with BPS taking them over they can’t negotiate so I passed. Last week I walked back in and it was down to 499 so I went for it.

D0DD8702-4EC5-44AD-B25C-53ADD221AD57.jpeg

Prices on all Scmidt-Rubin guns are through the roof but a lot of them don’t move at the new prices. Local Cabelas has racks of 1889s, 96/11s, and both K11 rifles and carbines for 550-650. Saw a beautiful tiger striped K11 Carbine months back for 650, with BPS taking them over they can’t negotiate so I passed. Last week I walked back in and it was down to 499 so I went for it.

View attachment 247557
That's purty

i dont thing -$500 is to bad. Theres really not a lot of the swiss rifles over all and only a small portion getting here to the US and maybe non left to make it over here?
For a rifle(K31) spanning about 25 years of production with less than 600,000 made its good they are as cheap as they are. If I spot a nice one with a nice stock I would pay $500 or so.
Really nice guns and great triggers. I like my K31 trigger better than my RRA National Match in my AR both are 4.5lbs ish but are night and day different.

i dont thing -$500 is to bad. Theres really not a lot of the swiss rifles over all and only a small portion getting here to the US and maybe non left to make it over here?
For a rifle(K31) spanning about 25 years of production with less than 600,000 made its good they are as cheap as they are. If I spot a nice one with a nice stock I would pay $500 or so.
Really nice guns and great triggers. I like my K31 trigger better than my RRA National Match in my AR both are 4.5lbs ish but are night and day different.
True.

If I didn't already have one, I'd bid on this K31. Looks like a real nice tiger striped stock?
Smith & Wesson Itzerland K31 #866855 7.5x55mm 7.555mm Swiss

I installed a taller front sight to bring my impact down a few inches. Also moved it a touch to the right. If all went well i should be centered up. I will be loading up another batch of test loads. 6 rounds of my current load and then 6 rounds of a lighter load. Current load is a bit heavy and if i can get good groups with less im all for it. I think i will sell a few more things and pick up the swiss diopter target sights for early xmass gift to myself. I have some dental work to pay for first.

Back
Top Bottom