K31

Test fired 5 rounds of 110 grain nosler with 43 grains..... very rushed lunch time test and forgot both my sling and the rifle rest so this is just elbows on the table. center hold sights on 200m from last time out. First shot always goes wide with this rifle ? Like the M1s
so for the conditions I will take this group.....pictures in a few. The rear notch is tough for me to see clearly. I have Corrective shooting glasses so I can see the front sight and I tend to shoot rifles with rear aperture style sights not notch and post.... If I use my glasses that I can see the rear sight I loose front sight focus....so much fun.

not to bad for my eyes and rushing. should be just fine for pembroke vintage match.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd say that is pretty damn good at 200 yards. Nice job. I freakin love the K31.

mac1911, You shooting the K31 next Vintage? IIRC, the way Pembroke runs that match a Springfield is OK too? Just going by the flyer. If Springfield not OK, I'll bring my dog chewed M39.

K31 on my short list. I'd like to find one similar to yours, with tag etc. included. I'm out of guns I am willing to sell to fund such pick-ups, and also just tapped into the fun fund for a surprise college bill. Of course prices always going up, but seems like there are always some to be found.

mac1911, You shooting the K31 next Vintage? IIRC, the way Pembroke runs that match a Springfield is OK too? Just going by the flyer. If Springfield not OK, I'll bring my dog chewed M39.

K31 on my short list. I'd like to find one similar to yours, with tag etc. included. I'm out of guns I am willing to sell to fund such pick-ups, and also just tapped into the fun fund for a surprise college bill. Of course prices always going up, but seems like there are always some to be found.

Not sure what I will bring.
The Springfield is just fine for vintage... as far as I know vintage is any bolt action that was issued to any military any country from 1903a3 and earlier time period.

Here are my choices
1903a3 with cast loads
No4 mkII with HXP surplus not a winning combo
K98 8mm cast loads
K31 110 grain Armageddon
Type 99 but I'm to lazy to prep brass for that at the moment.
I'm,tempted to shoot out of comp and run the 1903a4 through its paces?

Based on that K31 score card you posted, yes- please shoot out of competition. [smile]

Not my best offhand....problem is the rear sight. I don't see it so well.
Maybe better this time around but I will be shooting a load I have not tested much.
That score was shot with PPU
I,really like shooting my 1093a3 with cast loads. It's just fun hearing the report pop then the Smack of the meplat hitting the target.

If you shoot your 1903 I'm sure your scores will be right up there.

The Enfield is tough keeping the shots in the black with that rifle is not easy...even with handloads

Last edited:
Not my best offhand....problem is the rear sight. I don't see it so well.
Maybe better this time around but I will be shooting a load I have not tested much.
That score was shot with PPU
I,really like shooting my 1093a3 with cast loads. It's just fun hearing the report pop then the Smack of the meplat hitting the target.

If you shoot your 1903 I'm sure your scores will be right up there.

The Enfield is tough keeping the shots in the black with that rifle is not easy...even with handloads

Still, that slow fire score was pretty impressive. How hard is it to reload the K31? Stripper clips work well?

If I get some practice in and make sure I don't have any self-inflicted equipment SNAFU's, I hope to get decent scores with the '03.

I'm really looking forward to the Vintage match in October........ Mac, you decide on the K31 or 03A3 yet?

I'm really looking forward to the Vintage match in October........ Mac, you decide on the K31 or 03A3 yet?

Have not decided and most likely will be last minute decision. Depends on how lazy I am at processing brass over the next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, that slow fire score was pretty impressive. How hard is it to reload the K31? Stripper clips work well?

If I get some practice in and make sure I don't have any self-inflicted equipment SNAFU's, I hope to get decent scores with the '03.

I used a modern plastic reproduction clip. Was not hard and it worked well

http://www.northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c146/i1688

I have a K31 I have not shot in awhile. I am down to one box of FOX ammo. Where can I find 7.5 x55 in state or NH? Nothing out here in western ma. and I would like to start shooting the rifle again. I have not reloaded this caliber yet but have some brass.

Four seasons has had it. Bass pro and cabela too.
If you have a free state address there are several on line vendors with both PPU and GP 11 is floating around out there.

That's a decent price......if I had some cash I would stock up on GP 11...

Yeah it's a real good deal. I ordered a case a couple months back just to have. I got plenty of brass/powder/bullets to make the ammo but having match grade GP11 on hand is always nice.

If you know someone living in a free state this vendor has the best pricing (free shipping):
http://www.ammoman.com/7-5x55mm-swiss-ruag-munitions-174-grain-fmjbt-swiss-surplus-gp11

i know a guy that knows a guy that got it for a dollar cheaper than that from an online vendor...shipped to a commie state with basically free shipping for military.
i asked the guy if he'd ship to me..."why would I give a damn about YOUR laws," he said. [rofl]

PM me for deets...anyone with less than 500 posts and an unfamiliar avatar might have to pass a loyalty test to be certain you're on our side before I disclose any information...

i know a guy that knows a guy that got it for a dollar cheaper than that from an online vendor...shipped to a commie state with basically free shipping for military.
i asked the guy if he'd ship to me..."why would I give a damn about YOUR laws," he said. [rofl]

PM me for deets...anyone with less than 500 posts and an unfamiliar avatar might have to pass a loyalty test to be certain you're on our side before I disclose any information...

Interesting. I only know of two vendors that have GP11 in stock and will ship to MA - both of which cost slightly more than the vendor I posted above. PM inbound.

Seems as though the going rate is about 53¢ a round, which seems fair enough.
Don't know about shipping expenses and shipping to MA, however. Sorry.

I have a K31 I have not shot in awhile. I am down to one box of FOX ammo. Where can I find 7.5 x55 in state or NH? Nothing out here in western ma. and I would like to start shooting the rifle again. I have not reloaded this caliber yet but have some brass.

Glenn's in North Reading has this too.

dont think I can do much better

Got to sneak out at lunch and do some testing

155 nosler custom comp 2.850" OAL 45 grains H4895
100 yards USGI sling off the bench.... First 5 shots

I could not wait around for the range to go cold to retrieve my 2nd target but I held off low and left and put 10 rounds down range. through my scope I seen 2X 6-10s 2-9s

Got to sneak out at lunch and do some testing

155 nosler custom comp 2.850" OAL 45 grains H4895
100 yards USGI sling off the bench.... First 5 shots

I could not wait around for the range to go cold to retrieve my 2nd target but I held off low and left and put 10 rounds down range. through my scope I seen 2X 6-10s 2-9s

I tried some IMR4064 and it just didnt do well for me....best group out of 3 5 shot groups

Im going to try some 110s with the 4064 next week...if I can get a nice group ike the 155s I will shoot the 110s at the match

geez...been wondering what powder to buy for my swiss reloads...guess 4895 deserves more than a fair shake.

NICE shooting mac! no disrespect intended, but aren't you an old-timer?

i can't shoot that well with my 34 year old eyes and my USMC trained trigger finger!

- - - Updated - - -

do you used the 155 noslers exclusively?

i have SMK 168's and nosler 175's kicking around...but don't really need either for the distances i'll be shooting with irons on the K31 and K11.

geez...been wondering what powder to buy for my swiss reloads...guess 4895 deserves more than a fair shake.

NICE shooting mac! no disrespect intended, but aren't you an old-timer?

i can't shoot that well with my 34 year old eyes and my USMC trained trigger finger!

- - - Updated - - -

do you used the 155 noslers exclusively?

i have SMK 168's and nosler 175's kicking around...but don't really need either for the distances i'll be shooting with irons on the K31 and K11.

no i m a sping chicken in this game 45 years old....up untilrecently I was the kid at the local clubs shooting cmp!
I practice alot with my pellet gun and it keeps me from getting rusty... I might shoot some good groups but I struggle to get them where I want them to go.
I will have to change my hold for this rifle and hold a little low and left. I dont have time between now and the match to go back and adjust front sight. I might give the front sight a tiny little bump to get centered up a little better....but the 10 ring is 3 moa so I should at least drop several shots on the 3 oclock of the 10 ring..if my eyes are working i will use some Kentucky windage at the match

155s I have on hand I use any 150-168 bullet that will be ok in the platform im loading for. Not picky Hornady,Nosler, Sierra what ever I find on sale in bilk when I have some cash. I just stocked up on 69 and 80 grain Nosler Custom comps and 168s as they where cheaper than the 155 this time around.

Monday i will try 110 varmint bullet with IMR4064 I want this powder to work for me but it just has not in anything I tried? So far Varget and H4895 do well by me in 90% of the rifles I load for. VV N150 does well also but to expensive.

One good thing about H4895 is you can find the reduced load formula on hodgdons web site and load reduced loads. I load 147 grain pulls for my 30-06 bolt gun with 35 grains of H4895 fun load good to about 100 yards ...great for young shooters..

Last edited:
Nice shooting mac! Looks like those 155s work very well - especially for a bullet that costs ~17 cents.

Interesting that the 4064 loads didn't shoot that well. As you saw from my range report, 4064 worked very well with the 168s. I'm sure you could play around with the charge weight to tighten them up but prob not worth it if 4895 is working.

just does not like the 110s

I have concluded my K31 just does not like the nosler 110 grain varmint bullet.
4 powders, 4 different charge weights and nothing did well... About 3 MOA at best.

Will to with the H4895 and the 155 nosler CCs
Good for 10 ring and some Xs

The K31 back in the safe until next year.

All in all the K31 for me has been the best value in the milsurp shooting.
Out standing trigger for a general issue rifle. well built smooth action and tough to beat for the price range.
I shot CMP Vintage Military Match at 200 yards today and did pretty well.
My only issue with the K31 is its small notch rear sight. If the K31 had a rear aperture sight I think it would be worth another 20 points...
I could not have been more pleased with it today. Although I shoot lefty and its not a very LH friendly platform I still managed a decent score and was able to get off all 20 rounds in rapids in time.

not the easiest to see but for the first 35 rounds I put all but 5 in the black.

score from today

[

Last edited:
Nice job! Yeah that rear sight is tough for me too, and I'm only 28. I can only imagine how worse it is for older guys with crappier eye sight....

Nice job! Yeah that rear sight is tough for me too, and I'm only 28. I can only imagine how worse it is for older guys with crappier eye sight....

It sucks .... you get 25 min to shoot 25 shots in slow prone.... I have to bang them out in about 12-15 min or my eyes get all wigged out.
I have a everyday correction of +1.50 which I can see most rear notch sights fine but not so much the the front sight and down range is blurry
So I use a +.50 lense to bring the front sight into nice crisp clarity but I loose that focus on a rear notch...and things get blurry down range with anything much stronger...
for example I use a +.25 rear peep insert on my AR i get just enough front sight focus and still see down 600 yards or so with out getting that sea sick feeling

Back
Top Bottom