K31

mac1911

NES Member
I just received my Swiss K31 with walnut stock. I must say its pretty darn nice. Only real flaw is the awful billboard import marks. I bought it to shoot so not a big deal.
Clean it up and post pics later. Bore looks very very good along with crown.
All the major parts match. Bolt,reciever,barrel and mag
Walnut stock is matching. Serial number puts this at 1940 production. Pics later when I get it back together.

only mark I could find other than serial #s in barrel channel and what appears to be date of production of stock under recoil pad 11 40

here you can see the import country of origin.....this was a little sad to see. I hit it with some oxpho blue just to get rid of the fresh baremetal lettering!

troop tag

the rest of the import stamp is covering the rear top of the reciever...
Still one of the best 300$ numbers matching 4lb 11oz trigger rifle I have purchased.

Last edited:
I think some people are getting slings and bayonets with them these days. When I was buying them it was just slings. Bayonets were hard to find.

I cancelled my order when I saw the billboard. What terrible placement. For cryin' out loud, mark it in a discrete place! I'll look for one that hasn't been defaced like that.

I cancelled my order when I saw the billboard. What terrible placement. For cryin' out loud, mark it in a discrete place! I'll look for one that hasn't been defaced like that.

I dont think they have the opption any more. Was explained to me that the new import stamp requirements make decrete placement hard. The worst part is they placed the country of origin right along the shield? Like I said I knew going in they would be marked horribly. I dont get to go out shopping for rifles and most shops locally never have them. I purchased mine for use in the cmp vintage match so I can live with the marks.
They have to stamp alot of info on there now VS earlier regulations like my M1 carbine stamped bluesky imp. cxity and state or my CIA city?, VT marked mosin.
https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/...fication-guidebook--firearms-verification.pdf dont know when they changed but my most recent M44 mosin carbine has the billboard also....sucks but what can you do?

Last edited:
I have a walnut stock K31 waiting for me at my FFL. From what you say, it might have a bad import mark. [frown]
I have one with a beech stock that I ordered from the same vendor a couple of months ago and it has a discreet mark on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle.

I have a walnut stock K31 waiting for me at my FFL. From what you say, it might have a bad import mark. [frown]
I have one with a beech stock that I ordered from the same vendor a couple of months ago and it has a discreet mark on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle.
Yes the import marks can be lame! I still cant be happier with this rifle sight unseen. 74yrs old 4lb 11oz trigger all numbers match (pulled stock to check)
By far the best all matching numbers milsurp I have purchased for 300$! Now if it shoots half as good as the interweb says I will be happy.
Friend of mine just told me 2013 camp Perry vintage match was won buy a k31. 289/300 8x
Also at first trials seems left handed friendly

Last edited:
I shot a friends a while back and was amazed at how accurate it was with surplus ball ammo. On par with any of my Swedish Mausers, which all shot great.

Those sights are getting mighty hard to use with age, though.

They're going for $300 now? !

I hate to sound like one of the old timers at a shop but I remember when they were $79. That was only about 8 or 9 years ago.

I hate to sound like one of the old timers at a shop but I remember when they were $79. That was only about 8 or 9 years ago.

I was saying the same thing I was seeing them around in 2007/08 for 160-200$ I didnt really have a interest then. More into garands/03s/carbines
but now that I have a few more of my "shooting" collection complete I figured I would snatch one before they go even higher.

I got my "excellent condition" K31 in March 2006 for $129. But, that was from a well-known online vendor who shortly thereafter stopped selling to Mass. Makes you wonder what the market prices would be around here if everyone was still freely selling to Massachusetts inmates.

got to the range

- - - Updated - - -

Ok it was a short range trip....my daughter was calling the shots and today was fishing not shooting...she did allow me I magazines worth.
1st shot. 6 yr old daughter says " ahhmm dad are you aiming at the sand or the target?" My response is "target why" daughter "cause you you hit high A LOT high". So I look and sure as sheet I see the dark splash of the under lying sand against the light dry stuff about 3 feet over the target...look at rear sight....set at 500m...set rear sight to 100 m setting no spotting scope so I just shot off the next 5 shots. Just a shy high and left of point of aim. More than happy!
Shooting the gp 11 ammo. Its a good stout round. Shooting sitting with just a tee shirt. It was fun. The striaght pull is nice for a lefty.
Recoil was there more manageable with a sling I'm sure. The smooth metal butt plate doesn't help.
The trigger......friken awesome for a milsurp rifle costing 300$

I love these rifles sooooooo much!!!! They are a sickness in a way. I have 2 walnut (41&43) and 3 beech (47,51,53), all in the last 6 months. The GP11 ammo rocks. Just ordered an S&K Scout mount and want to get a Swiss Products clamp on mount. Anyone have either of these???

I had an S&K mount on one and used a Simmons Pro Hunter handgun scope with it. At the time I had it long eye relief scopes were hard to find without spending a fortune. That set up would allow me to put 6 shots in a 3" Shoot N C target at 100 yards.

I had an S&K mount on one and used a Simmons Pro Hunter handgun scope with it. At the time I had it long eye relief scopes were hard to find without spending a fortune. That set up would allow me to put 6 shots in a 3" Shoot N C target at 100 yards.

Good to hear and thanks. I run a Leupold 2.5x28 on a ruger gunsght scout. However for the K31 i just purchased a Hi-Lux scout 2-7x28. Really good reviews and decent price.

Finally got to shoot my k31 in a CMP MATCH. Forgot to take pictures of my targets. For a rifle I have only put 20 or so rounds through since I bought it . The rifle did well. Anything not at least in the black was all my wrong doing.
Here's my score card for 200 yard cmp match.

Used PPU 174 grain ammo. I did not buy enough GP11 to use for a match.
Bought PPU to use the brass for reloading.
Figure with a decent bullet I can turn more 9s into 10s. Now to just pray for better off hand .... Off hand 69 score was a decent group in the 7 ring and not sure why.
Sights are tough on these and would love a aperture style sight on the K31.

Last edited:
Nice job mac! Those tiny sights on the K31 are tough. I would also love to try an aperture sight, hell even those scoped K31s look sweet (can't use for CMP of course). They had a CMP clinic on Sunday at my club but I couldn't make it. I did shoot my K31 on saturday though after getting that 1984 GP11 ammo a couple weeks ago.

You didn't end up ordering more GP11? I suppose if you don't shoot it much maybe it isn't worth it? Though they do/can sell them by the 60rd pack so you don't need to order an entire case.

Nice job mac! Those tiny sights on the K31 are tough. I would also love to try an aperture sight, hell even those scoped K31s look sweet (can't use for CMP of course). They had a CMP clinic on Sunday at my club but I couldn't make it. I did shoot my K31 on saturday though after getting that 1984 GP11 ammo a couple weeks ago.

You didn't end up ordering more GP11? I suppose if you don't shoot it much maybe it isn't worth it? Though they do/can sell them by the 60rd pack so you don't need to order an entire case.

no ammo somethig else came up and I needed to replace my Spotting scope also. I plan to reload for the K31 although the price of GP11 is tough to beat even when you reload. I still might get some more.

Good job! Good to see some actually shoot instead of just accumulate hardware.
FWIW, there's a K31 for sale in CT for $300!
I can direct you to the gal (Cheshire area) via PMs.

Last edited:

Pics cut and pasted from her post:

Good deal - stock is a lot nicer than mine. Friend of mine was just asking me about where to buy a K31. If she ships to a C&R holder, my friend may be interested.

Edit: Nevermind, ochmude beat me to it lol.

If you pick it up and pass by I-95 Exit 93, bring it over to shoot on my private range (up to 100 meters). You can shoot more than simply GP-11 and Prvi, you know...

Last edited:
I'll be starting up a jobsite in lovely Waterbury next month. You're probably a good drive from there?

Pics cut and pasted from her post:

I will only own guns I can shoot and when I rach the point where I an no longer physically shoot I will pass them on to the next Gen of shooters.
this rifle looks very nice and most likely a later production. mine was made in 1943.

if i did just buy that t99 i would jump on this also

Yup, I got mine from AIM Surplus about 10 years ago for $89. I should have bought several while I still had my C&R. I let it expire.

Back
Top Bottom