K frame spring kit?

LLF

NES Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my S&W model 19 with a reduced power spring kit. There seem to be at least 3 kits on the market -- Wolff, Wilson Combat, Miculek.
Any members have any experience with these?
Any advice appreciated.

Tried all 3, they all seem to do about the same thing, which was very little.
If you have a trigger pull gauge that'll tell you where you are vs where you want to be.
Somewhere on the you-tube, Jerry M pitches his own spring, and somewhere in that vid makes it a point to say he only uses Federal primers because they don't require as much force to ignite. He plays around with the strain screw some.
Honestly, I've had better luck stoning, sanding and polishing the frame guts. Done it on 3 N frames, 1 L frame and 1 K frame.
I use mostly Win primers so I try to keep the d.a. pull around 9lbs. With Feds I can do about 8lbs.

I have used Wolff kits a couple of times with good luck. However, it is important to understand the limits.

The break weight of the DA trigger pull is dominated by the mainspring. So is the reliability of primer firing: go too light on the mainspring and you'll get light primer strikes.

The break weight of the SA trigger pull is dominated by the rebound slide spring. Go too light on the rebound slide spring and your trigger reset will hang up.

The flat leaf mainsprings in all S&W revolvers except J-frames are, for practical purposes, a fitted part. Actually, it is the strain screws, not the springs, that are fitted. But the result is the same. The leaf mainsprings cannot just be swapped between frames with consistent or usable results. The strain screw needs to be the correct length to provide the correct tension. Depending on the frame, the spring, and the screw, things may work out nicely, or you may need a screw that is longer or shorter. If you need a screw that is longer, then you will need a new screw.

None of the spring kit vendors are clear about fitting the strain screw. I think this is unfortunate, but there is a viewpoint that if you don't already know all about this, then you are not really prepared to swap springs.

I have had good results with Wolff reduced power springs, but you very typically need a longer screw. Some people prefer the Wilson kits because they more often, but not always, work with the existing screw. I have not used the Miculek springs, but he is very clear that they are designed for competition guns using Federal primers only.

Some years ago, I wrote a long article about working with the triggers on S&W revolvers. The article is much longer than most people want to read, but it is not difficult, and most of the info will be helpful to anyone who wants to work inside revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom