Juvenile record - what to do?

I couldn’t find an old thread on this.. If there is, my apologies....

About 10 years ago as a juvenile I got in trouble. I was about 16-17 at the time and was told it would be wiped from my record when i turned 18. Now a grown and fully responsible adult almost 10 years later I would like very much to get my Pistol permit.

What do you knowledgeable fellows think is my best course of action. Do I check the YES on the app for prior run ins with the law and write a letter explaining the details. Or do I write No and hope it doesn’t pop up to bite me in the butt..

Again, I’m sorry if this has been answered. I know a lot of people on this board probably know the answer and can guide me in the right direction. Your help is appreciated!

A location will probably be a big help in answering this question (edit - unless the 860 is CT). As well as a little history (not necessary the whole story, but the jist of it).

Last edited:
Yes I am located in NW Connecticut.

I was with some friends who entered a vacant house without being invited.

Like I said its been about 10 years since then and my record has been spotless (not even a traffic ticket)

The attourney would be an option but I wanted to get peoples opinions on the situation on here first before proceeding.

Thanks so much guys for your input.

If you lie on your state application, or any BATFE form you are FUBAR'd

Check the box yes, enclose a letter if you want, but it is going to show on the background check anyway so pretending it didn't happen is only going to get you in deep fecal matter.

Pull your record and see if it's there. It's that simple. If it isn't, then you do NOT have to lie. It's as if it never happened. You were a minor at the time, after all. I had more than one "indiscretion" before I turned 18 and they were removed from my record when I did turn 18. NEVER EVER had a problem getting a top secret and beyond clearance in the Navy, buying a firearm, etc...and I have CCW permits in three states, including Connecticut...never been denied. ;)

Last edited:
Answering incorrectly on these forms may be considered a crime in and of itself. You really need to retain the services of a competent firearms attorney. Attorney Lisa Steele has done appellate work in CT. She would not be appropriate for the inquiry that you need, but she may be able to refer you to someone in CT: Attorney Lisa Steele, Bolton, MA
(978) 368-1238

dustin860: I strongly suggest that you do not count on legal advice gotten from an anonymous source on the internet. Alteeza may be right. Or not.

Hire a competent attorney. It won't cost much. And you'll be sure of the answer.

m1911 - im going to contact the person you gave me and see if she can point me in the right direction also.... thank you so much

The only black mark on my record is an assult charge form a fight I got into at age 17, some 23 years ago when I go my CT CCP. I called the town it happened in got the details and put them accurately on my application. The detective processing the app. told me if I had tried to lie or omitted the info., I would not have gotten the permit. Since I was otherwise clean and truthful I was granted the premit.

Altezza

Thanks for your advice. Do you know where I can pull my record and check? I hope your correct ;)

Just go to your local town police station and have them run an FBI background check to see what shows. Might cost you some money, but it won't be much. That's how my town did it for me when I got my permit in Connecticut...filled out the paperwork, sent to the FBI and bingo! Permit in the mail in less than 6 weeks. If they ask you why, just tell them it's for a job or something.

Just curious... Have you ever been denied when buying a handgun when they call the 4473 form in? If not, you shouldn't have any problems getting your CCW permit.

I already wrote a letter giving light to the situation and what happened. I also explained that it was quite some time ago. I got 3+ character ref as well.
I figure its better be forthcoming then have it come out and be automatically denied. I just hope it will go through

to answer your question i have never tried to purchase a gun before so i have no idea :(

No disrespect to Altezza, But just because a Juvenile record is sealed DOES NOT mean it can not be viewed (in Massachusetts at least). a Juvenile record may be sealed and not available for review by a general CORI check. It may also mean that a Juvenile record can not be considered for certain things. But it most certainly can be viewed (in massachusetts at least). As a police officer if I conduct a Board of Probation check on someone it will show all arraignments both adul;t and juvenile regardless of their disposition

I hadn't been told I could go buy a handgun without the permit.

I thought the proper order was to obtain the permit then purchase the firearm.

I hadn't been told I could go buy a handgun without the permit.

I thought the proper order was to obtain the permit then purchase the firearm.

Yeah, you're right. In MA, you do need some sort of permit to purchase a handgun. Same in CT. Either an eligibility certificate to purchase or the full carry permit. I don't even know why there's an eligibility certificate because you pretty much have to jump through all the hoops and pay the money just as you would to get the carry permit, which is good for 5 years instead of only 60 days.

No disrespect to Altezza, But just because a Juvenile record is sealed DOES NOT mean it can not be viewed (in Massachusetts at least).

"In Mass" being the operative term. My convictions were in CA and AZ. I've personally looked my record several times and there is NOTHING listed. Not even convictions with dismissed, annulled, sealed, etc. Perfectly clean and empty in that section. Had my record pulled many, many times in the Navy for security clearances and such. So, it does vary from state to state.

Back
Top Bottom