Just wondering if this would be legal.

doobie

Banned
0) No possession of an LTC/FID
1) Remove the stock of an AR-15 lower (making it no longer a firearm in the eyes of MA)
2) Keep the barrel separate from lower
3) Enter MA with no ammo, just the stock, lower receiver, barrel, and empty low cap magazines.
4) Return to NH, pick up ammo, stop at gun club in NH without having to go home?

Or the above and assemble AR-15 at a MA range with someone with a LTC, then disassemble before leaving?

If it is legal, could one do the same easily with a pistol?

Note As much as I want to see them have more fire power in their possession... I don't want to become a client of Cross-X or Scrivener!

1) Remove the stock of an AR-15 lower (making it no longer a firearm in the eyes of MA)
3) Enter MA with no ammo, just the stock, lower receiver, barrel, and empty low cap magazines.
4) Return to NH, pick up ammo, stop at gun club in NH without having to go home?

Or the above and assemble AR-15 at a MA range with someone with a LTC, then disassemble before leaving?

Note As much as I want to see them have more fire power in their possession... I don't want to become a client of Cross-X or Scrivener!

It would be OK to bring the parts and build it the first time but even that would be hairy. Once an AR lower is made into a full rifle, the lower is always a firearm.

Here is another way..

Common courier is exempted from the transportation / storage laws. So either change your name to common courier or become a common courier and package the gun with the destination address on it.

I am good huh?

1) Remove the stock of an AR-15 lower

Why are you removing the stock? An AR-15 lower without an upper isn't a firearm anyway.

doobie said:

If a non-firearm can be easily turned into a firearm, it is a firearm (says MA case law).

doobie said:

It's not legal. If you have the parts, you have the gun.

Mike-Mike said:
Once an AR lower is made into a full rifle, the lower is always a firearm.

Not true.

Common courier is exempted from the transportation / storage laws. So either change your name to common courier or become a common courier and package the gun with the destination address on it.

I know you were joking, but I've heard people seriously suggest trying this route before. You generally have to be licensed to be a common carrier. So it's not as easy as just saying, "I'm a common carrier".

jdubois,

Once an AR lower is made into a full rifle, the lower is always a firearm as far as transfers are concerned.

is that better?

Yeah, I know, forking money over to mass is like feeding the bears, but the non-resident permit is only about five times the cost of the resident ones.

And if what I think I read at http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm is accurate, you may only need to have a competition or show to attend.

True, but the rifle still needs to be Mass legal.

In other words, I can take my pre-ban M14 clone or post ban AK to a Mass competition, but NOT my no-ban AR. So you know, that AR has ALL the evil features.

Four words:

"Good luck with that".

[laugh]

-Mike

Three more words;

"Playing with fire." [laugh]

if what I think I read at http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm is accurate, you may only need to have a competition or show to attend.

Yes, that is a valid way to have a pistol or revolver in state without an LTC. However, that only applies to non-large capacity firearms.

Once an AR lower is made into a full rifle, the lower is always a firearm as far as transfers are concerned.

Are you referring to state or federal laws? I'm not sure where you're getting that definition from.

Back
Top Bottom