• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just when you thought you've seen everything.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Loading up .223 tonight. I have about 3k rounds to get done over the weekend but I am not in any kind of hurry. Things proceeding smoothly when all of a sudden the powder check alarm is going off on every case (Dillon 650). Sure enough, every case has zero powder. I disassemble the powder die and it is chock full of backed up powder. I was thinking that maybe it started bridging (I am using Varget which is a stick powder and it is possible for it to backup into the powder funnel). Instead, what I find is a plug of gunpowder the size of a pencil eraser that has perfectly fit into the funnel hole. I had to poke it out with the primer weight rod. Darnedest thing I ever saw... I went back and weighed all of the completed rounds to make sure no squibs got by but all was well. Some kind of manufacturing defect with the powder.
This is one of those times when a powder check alarm is nice to have. My angle of viewing the cases kinda sucks when I do rifle (pistol I can see the cases and powder level). So for all those re-loaders out there that say a powder check is useless.. I disagree.

Back
Top Bottom