just when i was getting used to no primers, now no powder...

allen-1

NES Member
I've actually got enough powder for at least another 20K loads - but with the way things are going, I figured I'd buy some more.

My "goto" powder is Hodgdon TiteGroup - and I can't find it anywhere his morning.

That was a bit of a surprise. I sort of expected to have to hunt a little bit, but I didn't expect this.

Anything remotely popular and i think pistol powders are more affected this time around.
Will be hard to find.
You have find several powders that will work for you and grab what you can. If the lgs is open tomorrow i going to see what they have that covers some of my needs. Might grab the last few boxes of 308 155s if they still have them

Here's a recipe for making your own black powder:
  • 74.8% saltpeter
  • 13.3% charcoal
  • 11.9% sulfur
Don't laugh. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll be reduced to making our own components if the democrats get their way.
They're watching us fighting over scraps now and soon they'll realize that they don't have to go after guns if there isn't any ammo.

I've actually got enough powder for at least another 20K loads - but with the way things are going, I figured I'd buy some more.

My "goto" powder is Hodgdon TiteGroup - and I can't find it anywhere his morning.

That was a bit of a surprise. I sort of expected to have to hunt a little bit, but I didn't expect this.

Any alternatives you can pick up?
I'm assuming you're using it for 9, theres got to be at least half a dozen other powders you could stick on the back shelf for just in case.

The time to buy powder was back when you couldn’t spend your money on Bullets or primers. Prices were pretty stable then too. If you shoot a decent amount, or have multiple family members shooting 20k worth of powder won’t last very long.

FTF on South shore in Hanover/Rockland/Pembroke/Marshfield area

Too far for a day trip; but his prices are valid - no gouging.

That same vendor had Titegroup in stock yesterday. Powder comes and goes fairly regularly. Nowhere near as difficult as finding primers.

• 74.8% saltpeter
  • 13.3% charcoal
  • 11.9% sulfur
Don't laugh. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll be reduced to making our own components if the democrats get their way.
They're watching us fighting over scraps now and soon they'll realize that they don't have to go after guns if there isn't any ammo.
I've been hoarding my pee for years

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fNvmdUrI8

I bought 8# of w231 on March 23rd last year...on top of the 5lbs I already had. Coupled with the 8lbs each of Unique and 2400, I think I might have enough pistol powder for the rest of my life.

Powder was/is/has been ‘normal’ priced through most/all of this nonsense. Just be vigilant. You literally picked the first week of USPSA matches to look for one of the most popular pistol powders on the market. Give it a couple of weeks and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

I grabbed a few pounds of autocomp a few weeks ago, just because it was cheap and on the shelf. Titegroup is my go-to powder as well but from what I’ve read, autocomp will do just fine for what I need. (Mild 9mm and .45acp)

• 74.8% saltpeter
  • 13.3% charcoal
  • 11.9% sulfur

I am glad I love to shoot my 45/70 and 44/40 as they were originally BP guns! I use Trail Boss in my revolvers and 5744 in my rifles, only have 5 pounds of TB and 3 of 5744 while I am well stocked on primers, I should actually sell some but will hang on to them, same with powder, I was trying to find the powder I liked so ended up getting lots of 1 lb cans of various powders, most unopened. I would hate to be one of those selling small & large rifle or pistol primers for $100 per thousand and pounds of powder for $75 or $100 but it is tempting

Like to see your #s
Finally dragged the chrono out. Very happy with function in my CZ75 but a little slower than my standard cfe pistol. I’m going to bump it up by .2 and maybe try again, maybe just load a few hundred.
Here’s the results vs the cfe 5.2gn load
B5882918-7F58-4B7F-B244-7AD434EBDCB0.png98B78672-E309-469F-88A3-A87CAB82019D.png

Last edited:
231 is great in pistols , very versatile
Only if you like fluff loads.
Finally dragged the chrono out. Very happy with function in my CZ75 but a little slower than my standard cfe pistol. I’m going to bump it up by .2 and maybe try again, maybe just load a few hundred.
Here’s the results vs the cfe 5.2gn load
View attachment 465139View attachment 465140

231 basically sucks for 9mm unless you're into the whole mouse fart thing. Not good for replication of a factory load or carry ammo, etc.

Only if you like fluff loads.

231 basically sucks for 9mm unless you're into the whole mouse fart thing. Not good for replication of a factory load or carry ammo, etc.
Seems to be pretty popular. 74 FPS slower at lower pressure? Also seems to be inline with factory ball ammo.

In these times you can't always get what you want...

A84EF6CE-5079-4205-8684-0802B03DBF60.png1C06776C-0796-4C24-87EF-5EA03D4225EC.png

Back
Top Bottom