• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just went blue!!!

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Stopped by Reilly's today on my way back from upstate Vermont.
XL650 with .38/.357 conversion kit, Case feeder (small and large case plate) Aluminum roller handle, misc parts kit ($875.00).
Now I need to start a collection of caliber conversions, toolheads, light gizmos, spent primer ramp upgrade etc. etc. etc....
I want to end up with a toolhead/powder setup for .38/.357, 9mm, .45acp and .223
Can't wait to set it up this weekend. Now I need to watch a couple of dozen you tube videos.

Congrats you bought a great press. I have a 1050 and have been really happy with it, but I bought it years before the 650 came out. I believe that the less expensive caliber conversions (1050 tool heads are about $120) are a real advantage. I load the caliber I use most, 9mm at the moment, on the 1050 and use a 550 for the other calibers. I don't change calibers much on the 1050 because it is a real PITA without a dedicated tool head.

I spent the weekend playing with it and seeing what I would want for the next (more informed) purchases. I ran off 300 rounds of 158gr RN fmj using Titegroup. Ran into a few little self inflicted problems loading primers into the primer mag but the learning curve is not too steep. One thing I did notice is that I use Lee dies and the tool head thickness of the Dillon press means that the dies are screwed into the tool head almost to the point of dropping through (especially the full length crimp die). Powder drop is amazing, extremely consistent. Overall quality is fantastic and you really feel like you are running a commercial machine. I don't know how I lived without a case feeder before. Now I only seat a bullet with my left hand and don't have to fumble around with casings and then a bullet.
I placed an order with Brian Enos to add some things I wanted to round out.
1x tool set with holder.
Lg primer assembly (complete assembly for quick changing between lg and small).
4x primer pickup tubes.
Complete caliber changeover for 9mm (tool head, powder charge assy, tool stand and conversion kit).
2x sets of locking rings for my Lee dies.
Unfortunately I forgot the one thing that will speed up my loading. That is the powder check alarm system that checks for under/over charging of the cases.
After I get the powder check I will need to (save up for) 2 more caliber conversions for .45acp and .223
Loving it so far.

Cant go wrong with blue. Its actually an addiction. When I started I said I only needed 2 tool heads for the 650. 45 ACP and .308. Now I have 7 complete tool heads for the 650,just got a 1050 with 3 complete heads and an unhappy wife[wink] I actually ended up with so much stuff I have to build a new reloading room!

dillon.jpg

Cant go wrong with blue. Its actually an addiction. When I started I said I only needed 2 tool heads for the 650. 45 ACP and .308. Now I have 7 complete tool heads for the 650,just got a 1050 with 3 complete heads and an unhappy wife[wink] I actually ended up with so much stuff I have to build a new reloading room!

View attachment 110142

Nice setup, you just reminded me I need to get a small rifle case feeder insert.... Dang it.

Congrats on a great press, I love mine. Be careful with the Dillon powder drop, it isn't as accurate as you think especially with flake powders. I really think the Hornday powder drop is a better design.

I see you already placed your order, but Shooters Outpost is much cheaper than Brian Enos in my experience.

I would not bother with the dillon powder check, the Hornady Powder Cop is much less complicated and provides the same function.

Finally, I only have one primer tube, but I use the Frankford Arsenal Vibraprime which really works well.

Good luck with your new press, I love mine.

Chris

I spent the weekend playing with it and seeing what I would want for the next (more informed) purchases. I ran off 300 rounds of 158gr RN fmj using Titegroup. Ran into a few little self inflicted problems loading primers into the primer mag but the learning curve is not too steep. One thing I did notice is that I use Lee dies and the tool head thickness of the Dillon press means that the dies are screwed into the tool head almost to the point of dropping through (especially the full length crimp die). Powder drop is amazing, extremely consistent. Overall quality is fantastic and you really feel like you are running a commercial machine. I don't know how I lived without a case feeder before. Now I only seat a bullet with my left hand and don't have to fumble around with casings and then a bullet.
I placed an order with Brian Enos to add some things I wanted to round out.
1x tool set with holder.
Lg primer assembly (complete assembly for quick changing between lg and small).
4x primer pickup tubes.
Complete caliber changeover for 9mm (tool head, powder charge assy, tool stand and conversion kit).
2x sets of locking rings for my Lee dies.
Unfortunately I forgot the one thing that will speed up my loading. That is the powder check alarm system that checks for under/over charging of the cases.
After I get the powder check I will need to (save up for) 2 more caliber conversions for .45acp and .223
Loving it so far.

Get yourself a couple of extra decapping pins for each rifle caliber and some primer pick up tube ends for large and small primers, they can wear out or get damaged. Also a Dillon brass primer flip tray if one didn't come with the setup.

Congrats on the new press, you'll enjoy it.

Go with the Dillon powder check...It is simple to use and audible. You have plenty of stuff to pay attention to and the audible alert takes one thing off the list. The hornady one is the same exact thing...Just with no alarm. It is half the price for that reason.

Congratulations! Blue is the new black... Or maybe Blue is the original black, I forget... :) My 650 is a joy to use.

Back
Top Bottom