• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just walked with a knife into Boston PD HQ

Alex9661

NES Member
Business related routine visit. I left my key ring and Fox Labs can in the car and, despite that, set off the metal detector. The cop had me remove my watch, belt, pen, the detector keeps going off. Then the cop says that's your knife clipped to your pocket, give it to me and pick it up on your way out. The knife is a spring assisted Kershaw Blur blatantly longer than Boston legal 2 1/2". No Swat called, I'm not arrested, my knife is back clipped to my pocket.

I walked into a Georgia hospital, maybe six months(?) ago during a rainstorm. Set off the metal detector and there was a uniformed cop sitting there. Told him I had a firearm, and that I'd go leave it in my truck. Walked back to the truck, stowed the gun and tripped the metal detector again with my knife. Cop looked at me and said "just go on in".

I had an appearance in court. I locked my pistol and spare mag in the truck and headed in. I did the usual empty pockets, place contents in tray and walked through the metal detector. No problem. No lights rung. No bells lit up.

I'm on the other side chatting with the deputy while getting back my stuff and he noticed the clip on knife in my pocket. I had forgotten to remove it back at the truck and while filling up the tray.

He held onto it until on my way out.

Reminds me of the time when I fooked myself at City Hall had to ditch my knife at the security checkpoint. Also happened a couple times getting careless at the airport and having to ditch a leatherman or two before the TSA check :(

Had to go to the court house to check a deed. Forgot my knife clipped in my front pocket. Walked into the Criminal court and set off the alarm. Emptied pockets and went through again. Got the half assed wand treatment and was told to go ahead. It was standing in line at info that I realized what had happened.
I then found out I was in the wrong court house. I went over to the registry of deeds. It was a long walk back to the truck so I figured I would disclose to the officer that I had the knife. I told the officer I had the knife and he asks for it, a Spyderco EMT knife (blade but no point) he opens it and lays it across his palm and says "it's not legal don't get caught with it" I apologize and said I had no idea and would have left it in the truck. I ask if I can leave it with him. He said "You can if you like but my partner will probably steal it." It was a bit of a walk to the truck but I still have the knife.

Reminds me of the time when I fooked myself at City Hall had to ditch my knife at the security checkpoint. Also happened a couple times getting careless at the airport and having to ditch a leatherman or two before the TSA check :(
Hey, I saw your Leathermans, along with a Sh*t ton of others @ the Wilmington show last weekend. [laugh]

I walked into a Georgia hospital, maybe six months(?) ago during a rainstorm. Set off the metal detector and there was a uniformed cop sitting there. Told him I had a firearm, and that I'd go leave it in my truck. Walked back to the truck, stowed the gun and tripped the metal detector again with my knife. Cop looked at me and said "just go on in".

metal detectors at hospitals in Georgia ????

Just after 9/11, I went through security at Nashville and had forgotten this was buried in my bag:

img-gerber-covert-01.jpg

They ran my bag through x-ray 2 or 3 times before said let's just dump the contents because I have no idea what's setting off the alarm. Agent finds it, opens it up, and holds it high. No soyboys and children screaming but their mouths were open and they might have been wetting their pants. I had been friendly and cooperative and caught a big break from the rather hot supervisor lady. TN law prohibits concealed carry of over 3" blade. She recorded it as 2.98" LOL and gave it back to me to either mail or put in my car. This was during the time that airport security was confiscating nail clippers and other stupid stuff, so getting it back was a big deal.

If you drove from Boston to Stockbridge with a 3" folding pocket knife, you would be illegal in half of the locations. The knife laws in MA are a train wreck.

Cite(s) please?

The only towns/cities that I know of with blade-length restrictions are Boston, Worcester, and Salem. And, Salem is not on the route most people would take between those two points.

Just after 9/11, I went through security at Nashville and had forgotten this was buried in my bag:

img-gerber-covert-01.jpg

They ran my bag through x-ray 2 or 3 times before said let's just dump the contents because I have no idea what's setting off the alarm. Agent finds it, opens it up, and holds it high. No soyboys and children screaming but their mouths were open and they might have been wetting their pants. I had been friendly and cooperative and caught a big break from the rather hot supervisor lady. TN law prohibits concealed carry of over 3" blade. She recorded it as 2.98" LOL and gave it back to me to either mail or put in my car. This was during the time that airport security was confiscating nail clippers and other stupid stuff, so getting it back was a big deal.
So much for the so-called "freedom" in that state!

What do they say about bringing a knife to a gun fight?

You're a real Charlie Bronson.
The thing about a knife is you never run out of bullets. That 's why I always carry both.

*edit: But if you do carry a knife, please train with it. Like you do with your pistol.

I had an appearance in court. I locked my pistol and spare mag in the truck and headed in. I did the usual empty pockets, place contents in tray and walked through the metal detector. No problem. No lights rung. No bells lit up.

I'm on the other side chatting with the deputy while getting back my stuff and he noticed the clip on knife in my pocket. I had forgotten to remove it back at the truck and while filling up the tray.

He held onto it until on my way out.
I carry a 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" with a 4" nonserrated tanto point blade as my EDC. I removed the pocket clip and thumb stud, carrying the knife in either my back pocket or in my cell phone case, alongside the phone. I work in Cambridge and Boston and travel to the North Shore cities and towns that have anti-knife ordinances. I would never carry into a police station or court. Why ask for trouble?

The rent-a-cop at the security station at the Old Ironsides dock tried to scare me about that bullshit once. I just sort of gave him an incredulous look and told him I'd pick it up on my way back out. It was waiting for me along with the rest of the crap we weren't allowed to take in with us when we got off the ship. I knew that knife wasn't over 2", and I measured it out to about 1.8" when I got home.

I forgot that I had a knife as I walked up to the TSA dude in New Orleans last month. I gave it to him, no trouble, and it will probably show up at the next Wilmington gun show for $5. I paid $2.99 at a convenience store in the boondocks in Louisiana after loading up on fried, and I mean fried, fish.

I carry a 4" Cold Steel "Voyager" with a 4" nonserrated tanto point blade as my EDC. I removed the pocket clip and thumb stud, carrying the knife in either my back pocket or in my cell phone case, alongside the phone. I work in Cambridge and Boston and travel to the North Shore cities and towns that have anti-knife ordinances. I would never carry into a police station or court. Why ask for trouble?

What are the towns with"anti-knife ordinances"?

Back
Top Bottom