• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just Sent FL Non Resident License. Anyone Else?

Dave, FOPA is federal. They don't get to choose not to honor it AFAIK. Does that mean you can't get hassled? Of course not. But, it does mean that if you are following the law carefully, you should come out on top. In reality, if you approach it properly and drive straight through NJ and NY while following all local traffic laws and not stopping to sight see, you shouldn't have any worries. As for hanging out there, you're not doing that with your carry piece legally unless you figure out how to get a non res license.

I had a FL license, but pretty much gave up after my last run-around with them. I sent my renewal to them, and a couple months later they sent it back because I hadn't signed the fingerprint card. OK, my bad. I sign the card, send the app back to them. A couple months after that, they send the application back to me because they didn't like the way that the notary notarized the application. WTF? Screw you, FL.

I had a FL license, but pretty much gave up after my last run-around with them. I sent my renewal to them, and a couple months later they sent it back because I hadn't signed the fingerprint card. OK, my bad. I sign the card, send the app back to them. A couple months after that, they send the application back to me because they didn't like the way that the notary notarized the application. WTF? Screw you, FL.

FL requires a notary? damn.

-Mike

FL requires a notary? damn.

-Mike

Yup. So does the Connecticut app. The CT one is for the photos while the FL one IIRC is for the app itself.

What's the big deal? I just go into my bank and it cost me 5-10 minutes and no cash.

Or, you smile at the pretty coworker across the aisle from you, ask her to use her notary stamp on your application and offer to take her shooting [smile]

sent mine 04/21/2011 & CT non-res too!

Just sent my application notarized of course , fingerprint card, etc so we can track how long it takes now, mine was mailed yesterday April 21st 2011 so this way we can all see just how long it will take now! I also sent for my CT non-resident permit yesterday, so we can see who is faster with their processing! [laugh][hmmm][rolleyes]

Bumping this up for those that care.

Sent application 3 March 2011, approved 14 April and received !TODAY! 25 April. March third was a Thursday, so let's say they started processing the app on the following Monday and it comes out to seven weeks to the day.

I'm in CT.

Sent application 3 March 2011, approved 14 April and received !TODAY! 25 April. March third was a Thursday, so let's say they started processing the app on the following Monday and it comes out to seven weeks to the day.

I'm in CT.

This post made me angry so I just called again (even though I called Friday and robot lady told me it was processing). My license was approved! They advised it may take up to two weeks for license to be printed and shipped! Cutting it close for my FL trip.

I'm in CT.

I am guessing with the holiday my application may not even have made it to FL yet but I will call today, "day one"

Well, I just got back from FL and what I had come to expect came true: My permit arrived while I was gone. D'oh!

My check was cashed 3/14 (I expressed my application to them at least a week prior),
Permit issued 4/14,
Permit mailing postmarked 4/21

So far this is how mine has been going..... April 22, sent it .... April 29 check cashed .... May 4 Called automated system, said it was received and is being processed. so now I of course have no idea what the "being processed" actually means, but they at least have it! ;)

So far this is how mine has been going..... April 22, sent it .... April 29 check cashed .... May 4 Called automated system, said it was received and is being processed. so now I of course have no idea what the "being processed" actually means, but they at least have it! ;)

Despite a stated 6-8 week processing time, mine was processed in two weeks. It took just under two weeks to create and mail it. My timeline looked like:

Mailed: 3/9
Check Cashed: 3/25
App in Automated System: 4/12
License Issued: 4/25
License Received: 5/5

Has anyone applied for the Non-resident FL license in person?

I will be in Florida in a couple of weeks, wondering if I can take care of it while I'm there.

Hi..my Fl is good for 7 years....took almost 4 weeks from mailing to receiving permit...Utah was much quicker..about 2 weeks!!!

Has anyone applied for the Non-resident FL license in person?

I will be in Florida in a couple of weeks, wondering if I can take care of it while I'm there.

You can apply in person. However, not all sheriff's offices are equipped to fingerprint for the license. It is very easy to apply via the mail. I don't think the wait time is too long.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html
I had my finger prints done at BPHDQT on March 16. The charge was $5.00. I went to Ruggles Street to re-apply for a FID. I sent the FL application out on 3/18 and received the Concealed Weapon Permit from Florida, dated 4/22 and delivered May 3. I'm still waiting for Boston to issue the FID. Go figure.
Best Regards.

I can tell you for sure JSO does electronic prints.

One thing to remember, some states only recognize the FL permit if your an actual resident of the state (forget which states these are).

Last edited:
I can tell you for sure JSO does electronic prints.

One thing to remember, some states only recognize the FL permit if your an actual resident of the state (forget which states these are).

Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire,South Carolina, are the states shown on the advisory sent to me with the Fl non-resident license.
Best Regards.

That is Boston, MA Police headquarters. You should be able to get your finger prints done at your local Police Department. Florida requires that a Law enforcement Agency take the finger prints. Go to the link to FL application to get all the information you need.
Best regards.

Ahh. Doubtful my police department does anything like that.... took me a month to even be able to talk to the firearms licensing officer. [rolleyes]

Ahh. Doubtful my police department does anything like that.... took me a month to even be able to talk to the firearms licensing officer. [rolleyes]

Since you are out in the Wild West [wink], why not ask your local State Police Barracks? They can do it for you and just might if you ask nicely.

when i try and submit the application, it says they cant and i need to call, anyone have a problem with it?

Back
Top Bottom