• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

JUST PICKED UP MY LTC

Just picked up at the PD, class A no restrictions.. feel like a kid at Christmas. Weird thing is the issue date is June 29, why so long for me to get it. Also a dumb question for you knowledgeable people out there, and yes I have searched it. I have a pickup truck with extended cab, how do I travel with my gun if I am not carrying it? Will a locked case behind my seat be acceptable?

Thanks..

As far as the delay most firearms officers only work part time, as in a day or two a week so who knows, main thing is you got it. If the gun (handgun) is under your direct control; holster, console your GTG, back seat not so much, long guns (gets weird here) must be unloaded and either trigger locked or in a locked gun case. You need to visit Four Seasons and see Carl and the crew and you're about to take a serious savings account haircut.

Don't forget the obligatory Wal-Mart CCW test with nacho's or Subway at the conclusion.

Last edited:
The case has to be secured to the vehicle. They sell pistol cases for cars that has a strong cable you can secure to something stable in the vehicle. I drive a Honda Fit and there are steel rings in that back that it secures to nicely and can be stored under the seat. Why travel with your gun and not carry it? I would carry it while traveling and place it in the case as needed.

Also a dumb question for you knowledgeable people out there, and yes I have searched it. I have a pickup truck with extended cab, how do I travel with my gun if I am not carrying it? Will a locked case behind my seat be acceptable?

Thanks..

As far as I know, a lockable container that can also be somehow anchored in the cab (e.g. braded wire cable, bolted to frame/floor) is all you need, of course the weapon cannot be loaded and the ammo has to be stored seperately.

Here's what I run;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&parentId=cat20772&id=0045006

The case has to be secured to the vehicle. They sell pistol cases for cars that has a strong cable you can secure to something stable in the vehicle. I drive a Honda Fit and there are steel rings in that back that it secures to nicely and can be stored under the seat. Why travel with your gun and not carry it? I would carry it while traveling and place it in the case as needed.
If im going away to camp, in Maine, i dont want to have to pull over, unholster and lock it up in a case when I cross state lines. Would probably just store it when I leave. Probably wont carry right away either, I want to get familiar with what ever I have and will require multiple range trips.. Thanks for the replys guys..

why does the locking case have to be secured to the vehicle? Also, a trigger lock does not suffice for transport....also, where does it say that ammo has to be stored separately?

1. Ammo does not have to be separate from firearms, either when stored at home or when transported in a vehicle.
  2. There's nothing anywhere in the law that requires the case to be attached to the vehicle.

Once again, things that might be good advice being passed of as somehow required by the law.

Ken

Here is the law on transport.

Breaking it down to plain English LTC-A you can have a loaded handgun if under your direct control, concealed.
If not under your direct control, unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Since a pick up has no trunk a locked case is ok. and behind the seat ever better.

Also if you have a car with a trunk and you want to transport long guns all they need to be is unload in the trunk. Not even in a case. It wouldn't be smart but if you read 131c (b) and (c) that would be legal. Aren't MA laws clear as mud!!
PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES

SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state or the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

(e) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported forthwith by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority who shall immediately revoke the card or license of the person so convicted. No new such card or license may be issued to any such person until one year after the date of revocation.

Here is the law on transport.

Breaking it down to plain English LTC-A you can have a loaded handgun if under your direct control, concealed.
If not under your direct control, unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Since a pick up has no trunk a locked case is ok. and behind the seat ever better.
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I was told I needed to buy a truck box to store it in while transporting. Didn't seem realistic so I had to ask.. So unloaded, with or without ammo in same case, locked case behind seat and ill be ok..

Back
Top Bottom