• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just picked up 1000 rounds of 9mm, be strong little fella!

If the troubles get worse next week as many expect, $500/thou will seem a bargain. While dollars will lose their purchasing power rapidly. Violence could wreak havoc with supply chains causing the cost of every necessity from food to gasoline to construction materials to soar. If the Dems win, catastrophic hyperinflation is a realistic possibility.

Good for the OP. Got a good deal from a good dude. Taking the ammo out of the boxes and storing them in the trays inside an ammo can is kinda crazy. But you do you. LOL.

View attachment 403885Me patiently waiting for all the first time gun owners to stop paying $500 a case of 9mm....Better pic added

You can play this game on most firearms related items in MA: "Stop paying $200 for a lower; $150 for a 25+ year old mag; $700 for a Glock, etc." Unfortunately, that's the premium new people pay to play.

that was kind of the point im getting at, its kind of ironic that gun owners will be all about 2A, MURICA, and COME AND TAKE IT but all it takes for people to completely stop shooting is for ammo prices to double or triple

this might be even more effective than gun control

waiting for prices to go up even higher so that people can suggest carrying less lethal options instead of CCW because it'll cost less than a mag of JHP

...or a lot of guys are being smart so they don’t have to buy 7 cases at 500%. If I needed a case at $500-600 a case I wouldn’t be blowing it in a weekend or two than rinse and repeat. Just saying.

After The Donald rolls right over the dirty commies prices will settle back down soon enough. May not be 2019 prices for a while, but I don’t think they’ll be 2024 prices either.
Depends on how the left handles the election results. If its just cat ladies bellowing in the street for attention then yeah, maybe. If its guys with rifles walking through grid-locked traffic then 50 cpr may look cheap

...or a lot of guys are being smart so they don’t have to buy 7 cases at 500%. If I needed a case at $500-600 a case I wouldn’t be blowing it in a weekend or two than rinse and repeat. Just saying.

being smart, being cheap, or being poor.

its definitely one of the above

As much as I want to stick my nose up at those prices and the OP for buying it at that price I’m going to say depending on his situation none of us can say shit unless he is a long time gun owner and should have already had above and beyond what he “Needs”. If I was a new gun owner I’d buy whatever I could regardless of price if I needed it. Thankfully I’m that guy that bought ammo pretty much after every time I shot. Shoot, replace what I shot, wash rinse and repeat. We should all have a red line of what we consider a decent amount on hand and not go underneath that level regardless of the climate

I bought 100 rounds of 9mm ball for $60 yesterday. I have components to load 3k but have to gear up my press after getting rid of the cobwebs in my room.

As much as I want to stick my nose up at those prices and the OP for buying it at that price I’m going to say depending on his situation none of us can say shit unless he is a long time gun owner and should have already had above and beyond what he “Needs”. If I was a new gun owner I’d buy whatever I could regardless of price if I needed it. Thankfully I’m that guy that bought ammo pretty much after every time I shot. Shoot, replace what I shot, wash rinse and repeat. We should all have a red line of what we consider a decent amount on hand and not go underneath that level regardless of the climate

I agree everyone’s situation is different and i feel bad for first timers for sure. If I needed ammo I would buy a case too but Glad I don’t need any right now.

My next batch of 9mm will cost me $0.15/ rnd +-. This is with quality FMJ bullets. Brass can be used until it won't hold a primer in the pocket anymore.

Still loading 55gr and 62gr 5.56/223 for about the same. This is with quality FMJ bullets. Brass is used for two reloads then tossed.

I also reload Wolf steel cased/boxer primed .223 and .45acp and Berdan primed .308 brass. ( stocked up on berdan primers years ago).
You must be using Federal cases.

I bought 100 rounds of 9mm ball for $60 yesterday. I have components to load 3k but have to gear up my press after getting rid of the cobwebs in my room.

What are you waiting for?

I bought another press a couple of weeks (months?) ago.
My crystal ball is broken, I have no idea when the ammo I shoot is going to be available again as factory loads - and I don't care - I've got enough components to last at least six months, possibly 2 years.

Last time I bought a house it was $200,000 cheaper than it would sell for now. What's your point?

My point is, I'm going to wait it out until the prices go back down. Which they will as soon as this temporary craze dies down and production catches up.

A house is a necessity, 9mm is not. Also real estate will typically continue to go up and is an investment, 9mm is not.

My point is, I'm going to wait it out until the prices go back down. Which they will as soon as this temporary craze dies down and production catches up.

A house is a necessity, 9mm is not. Also real estate will typically continue to go up and is an investment, 9mm is not.
I too think this stupidity will pass soon enough, the more ammo they make the more they sell, it’s a hot commodity now and they will catch up eventually. All these people feverishly buying will eventually be happy with what they got and slow down. The wild card is if something insane happens and Biden wins and basically makes it impossible to sell ammo to anyone. He might not get the guns but could he sign some executive order banning the sale of ammo?

I too think this stupidity will pass soon enough, the more ammo they make the more they sell, it’s a hot commodity now and they will catch up eventually. All these people feverishly buying will eventually be happy with what they got and slow down. The wild card is if something insane happens and Biden wins and basically makes it impossible to sell ammo to anyone. He might not get the guns but could he sign some executive order banning the sale of ammo?

Thus the secret NES Handshake ;)

You must be using Federal cases.

The loose primer pocket was just a reference [smile] ...I don't think I've ever had a 9mm piece of brass that didn't hold a primer......but yes most certainly have had them in .223 and .308 Federal brass.

if 9mm stays at $500+ a case from here on out, are yall gonna just give up shooting as a hobby/sport?

because surely you wouldnt pay those prices after spending months making fun of people for doing the same

It won’t. I’ve lost track of how any panic price surges I’ve been through. It happens EVERY time supply and demand are out of whack. Price is a demand regulator (High prices cure high prices).
When supply catches up, prices will flatten, then fall to normal ranges.

Right now producers are taking on variable costs (mostly labor in additional shifts) to increase production. That cost can be easily shed as demand wanes. If the high demand is truly sustainable (it rarely is) they will spend capex to meet that demand.

So be smart, sit back, watch the hysteria unfold and don’t feed the beast unless you need to.

It won’t. I’ve lost track of how any panic price surges I’ve been through. It happens EVERY time supply and demand are out of whack. Price is a demand regulator (High prices cure high prices).
When supply catches up, prices will flatten, then fall to normal ranges.

Right now producers are taking on variable costs (mostly labor in additional shifts) to increase production. That cost can be easily shed as demand wanes. If the high demand is truly sustainable (it rarely is) they will spend capex to meet that demand.

So be smart, sit back, watch the hysteria unfold and don’t feed the beast unless you need to.
Not to mention probably 90% of ammo making companies are probably following these gay safety protocols with minimum staffing and 30 feet safety distances too. It’s a Covid thing 🙄

The thirty or so 9x19mm cases that I've been shooting and reloading repeatedly (about 20 times or more) have had a few primer pockets loosen up. These aren't FC but rather "LY 93"

I’ve seem CCI A17 (17HMR) sitting on otherwise empty shelves at Bass Pro and thin shelves at SO. It seems to be an unwanted cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom