• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just picked up 1000 rounds of 9mm, be strong little fella!

With all the reloads I have in calibers that I don't shoot, I will simply buy a firearm in each caliber until exhausted. Sell the firearm for another caliber and keep banging away...

...don't need to buy ammo, just different firearms!

Remember, don't eat the silica desiccant!

Last edited:
I guess I'm dollar cost averaging LOL. I have a lot that I bought at great prices but still pick up a couple boxes now when I shoot some of my older stock. Certainly not buying in bulk right now.

With all the reloads I have in calibers that I don't shoot, I will simply buy a firearm in each caliber until exhausted. Sell the firearm for another caliber and keep banging away...

...don't need to buy ammo, just different firearms!

Remember, don't eat the silica desiccant!
I'm curious, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Question for you guys that reload. What is your cost per round for 9mm and 5.56?
How many times can you reuse a brass casing?

Question for you guys that reload. What is your cost per round for 9mm and 5.56?
Prices on components are changing so rapidly it's hard to figure, I used to reload 9mm and .40sw for around 7-9 cents per round. That's probably up to 20+ cents per round now but still cheaper than 50+ cents per round that it is selling for now. How many times you can use the case depends on a lot of factors, namely how hot the loads are, how often you have to trim the brass, etc.

My next batch of 9mm will cost me $0.15/ rnd +-. This is with quality FMJ bullets. Brass can be used until it won't hold a primer in the pocket anymore.

Still loading 55gr and 62gr 5.56/223 for about the same. This is with quality FMJ bullets. Brass is used for two reloads then tossed.

I also reload Wolf steel cased/boxer primed .223 and .45acp and Berdan primed .308 brass. ( stocked up on berdan primers years ago).

Last edited:
You guys spending $500 on a case of 9mm would be better served by buying a couple bricks of .22's and a reliable .22 pistol. Nothing wrong with training with a .22

22 has gone up too... it's not 3-4 cents a round anymore.

Needless to say, when ammo is scarce and going crazy in price, reloading components usually become scarce and pricier, too.
Most reloaders don't figure any cost for brass, because they already have it (paid for already).
Labor is not counted, as it's a hobby, for the most part. Not many golfers add in their time on the links into the cost equation.
Reloading gear is already paid for, so that doesn't get recounted.
Hence, the cost of bullets, primers and powder are about it.
Bullet: most 55g FMJ and 115g FMJ are about 16¢ and 12¢ respectively.
Primers: about 3.5¢ to 5¢ a piece.
Powders: about $25 to $40 per pound (.36¢ to .57¢ per grain).
So, roughly 17¢ for a 115g 9x19mm and 30¢ for a 55g .223 Remington/5.56mm

The pics are not meant to suggest that you reload aluminum cases, but these were reloaded/fired about seven times before I abandoned the test.
On the other hand the brass cased 9mm ammo was fired once (no clue how old it was, but R-P did make ammo with the 88 grainer, to my knowledge).

Attachments

• Al9mm5.jpg
    Al9mm5.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 30
  • R-P9mmLu.jpg
    R-P9mmLu.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Generally, you were lucky to even find them, weren't you? So it goes...

Probably.....their availability has been a little spotty for years. I like keeping some on hand for plinking with a revolver or a couple of old rifles that will feed S, L, or LR.

I don't keep track of the cost and don't care. I enjoy it, can make the best loads for my guns (and me) and make some whenever I need ammo. I know its cheaper than any factory ammo too.

I could reuse the casings several times but I tend not to with 9mm at least. I just pick up the once fired stuff while I'm at the range.

a lot of people are buying at covid prices, and honestly... good for them

sure some of you bought it cheaper pre-covid and have a good amount stashed away

but are yall still going to the range and shooting? because from what i can see, even the people that have a stash still arent shooting now because they are too cheap to replenish it
I live within hearing distance from my range. By the sound of things, very few people are shooting anything. There was a guy out there today shooting a muzzle loader I think. Probably just sighting it in for hunting season since he only fired off maybe 6 rounds

You guys spending $500 on a case of 9mm would be better served by buying a couple bricks of .22's and a reliable .22 pistol. Nothing wrong with training with a .22

i bought the cmmg .22 conversion kit for my ar's this summer. its fun to shoot ammo i paid $.03

I live within hearing distance from my range. By the sound of things, very few people are shooting anything. There was a guy out there today shooting a muzzle loader I think. Probably just sighting it in for hunting season since he only fired off maybe 6 rounds

that was kind of the point im getting at, its kind of ironic that gun owners will be all about 2A, MURICA, and COME AND TAKE IT but all it takes for people to completely stop shooting is for ammo prices to double or triple

this might be even more effective than gun control

waiting for prices to go up even higher so that people can suggest carrying less lethal options instead of CCW because it'll cost less than a mag of JHP

that was kind of the point im getting at, its kind of ironic that gun owners will be all about 2A, MURICA, and COME AND TAKE IT but all it takes for people to completely stop shooting is for ammo prices to double or triple

this might be even more effective than gun control

waiting for prices to go up even higher so that people can suggest carrying less lethal options instead of CCW because it'll cost less than a mag of JHP

And that's the tactic that they are starting to look at... Taxing the crap out of ammo and accessories.

And that's the tactic that they are starting to look at... Taxing the crap out of ammo and accessories.

taxing it requires elected officials to do it, and then their constituents will bitch and people will sue... way too complicated and messy
anyone that buys ammo thats heavily taxed will be considered a victim and people will feel bad for them

however if they can constrain supply some other way, and prices get driven up
anyone that buys ammo at that pricing will be considered an idiot and panic buyer and be made fun of on internet message boards

Back
Top Bottom