• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just Passed The Online Hunter Ed in NH - What to Expect for Field Day?

Excited to be en-route to getting into the woods this fall. I just completed the online portion of the test. Any thoughts on what I should expect on the field day?

There are only 2 dates posted so far and neither is that great of a date for me, so I am hoping a few more get posted.

Edit: Do I bring my own gun? Anything I should rehash before the day since it will be a few months until then?

Last edited:
The NH field day I attended last year was 8 hours with some .22 live range fire, some basic compass and tracking drills, a long safety seminar, an EPO presenter on NH hunting laws and a 50 question multiple choice bubble circle test at the end of the day. Most on the day is firearms and hunting safety discussion.

Leave the gun, take the permethrin

NH field day is fun. We did the multiple-choice question before a lunch break; one guy failed -- as there were no more openings before deer season, he was very unhappy (I'd imagine he would have been even more upset if the test were at the end of the day).

japollner said:
There are only 2 dates posted so far and neither is that great of a date for me, so I am hoping a few more get posted.
I'd expect see more dates and locations appearing on the schedule soon. Some facilities (e.g. Pinnacle Mt. Fish & Game) only host a couple field days each year.

japollner said:
Anything I should rehash before the day since it will be a few months until then?
Definitely go over the free online course material, or even retake the online exam. Even with reviewing the course material the week before, I missed a couple of questions. Every question on the field day test is covered either in the online material, or in class.

All materials are supplied, no need to bring your own gun. Dress for the weather and for tramping through fields -- we spent about an hour out in tall grass, so I'm glad I wore my permethrin-treated jeans.

For me, the highlight of the "Field Day" was when a local F&G officer took questions from the class. Somebody asked a question along the lines of "There's this bear that hangs out behind the houses on my street, one of the neighbors feeds it, now the bear knocks over the garbage cans. On a moonless night I nearly walked into the bear while taking out the trash, and I'm worried about my kids...What should I do?". The response was twofold:
  1. Give us a call; we will ticket your neighbor for feeding the bear.
  2. if the bear poses an immediate threat, you do what you have to do, after all, if he's coming right for you...

Last edited:
Don't sweat the field day. Don't need your own gun they have them there. I did mine in NH last year nothing difficult at all......common sense.

you'll shoot a .22
you'll do a woods walk in a group of "hunters" and be expected to go through a "shoot" or "no shoot" scenario with some decoys placed out in the field.
You'll go through a safety seminar
You'll go over fire arms handling
You'll be given a rifle or shotgun and a box of ammo and be expected to pick out the right carteridge or shot shell for the gun they hand you

Nothing too hard.....just enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom