Just ordered my press now what?

I just ordered a press (single stage) and everything else I think I need to see if it's something that I will actually do. I plan on using the batch method once I get a recipe that works for me.

So, while I'm waiting for my stuff to arrive (dies on backorder until next week) I feel the need to have components ready and waiting for me.

I don't need large quantities as I'm not ready to start pumping out quantities. I'm going to start with 9mm to learn the process. So where would one figure out/find:

1. Some CCI or Winchester Small Rifle Primers?
2. Figure out what powder to use and where to get it?
3. Figure out what bullets to use and where to get them?

I'm in Central Ma and willing to travel a bit. I would go to NSF in Middleton as I wind up that way on a regular basis but I'm normally there on Sundays and they aren't open.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Use small pistol primers...not small rifle. I've had good luck with federal and winchester.

You may find a single stage to be frustrating using a single stage...its fairly slow, and 9mm doesn't require absolute precision like match rifle ammo does. Either way, you're bound to learn a thing or two with it, and the singlestage press will be great to have around when you decide to delve into reloading for your longguns.

Powders: I use winchester 231 for 9mm. Doesn't overfill the case, burns fairly clean, and meters very well through my dillon. Its also been very accurate for me :)

Bullets: depends on the gun. Stock barrel'd glock? Use fmj's or plated. 1911? I use lead (wayyyyy cheaper). Bullet weight/shape is dependant on what you plan on doing with your reloads.

Oops, I meant small pistol. My main goal was to learn on this stuff. If I take to it I will be upgrading.

Primers: I wound up with a Lee press which states only to use CCI or Winchester Primers.

Bullets: Actually it's a match glock 9 so I could use lead. I think I want to start with FMJ's though.

Just need to find a place I can pick up a few things to start with.

If you are gonna use a single stage get a hand priming tool.... will add at least some speed to the process. Otherwise, priming cases with the little arm on most SS presses makes the whole thing that much more tedious.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom