• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just one bird reported killed in Utah’s first crow hunt

Not eating crow

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58478399-78/hunt-utah-crow-wildlife.html.csp

The first month of Utah’s new American crow hunt seems to have been quiet.

"I’ve only heard of one [killed]," said Blair Stringham, migratory game bird coordinator for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

American crows, like these spotted in Provo, can be hunted in Utah. The state's first crow hunt ended this week with just one bird reported killed.

The bird was shot for depredation in a Roosevelt apple orchard.

It is possible more crows were killed because hunters are not required to report successful outings. The birds are not likely to generate much post-hunt bragging.

"I’m not surprised. The birds actually in danger of getting shot are in areas where they can’t be shot [because they are in city limits]," Fenimore said. "With the price of gasoline and steel shot, I don’t see many people going out to shoot a bird that doesn’t put any bacon on the table."

Who the hell even shoots crows other than farmers? Never realy understood why crow is considered a "game" species anyway. I'll have to research it sometime.

Who the hell even shoots crows other than farmers? Never realy understood why crow is considered a "game" species anyway. I'll have to research it sometime.

There are people who like to shoot animals just for the fun of it. I've taken out plenty of squirrels when I was younger. Kinda felt bad after a while. Nowadays I don't plan on shooting anything I won't eat. Coyote would be the only exception to that, but I haven't hunted coyote yet. Not sure I want to; they look too much like a dog to me.

There are people who like to shoot animals just for the fun of it. I've taken out plenty of squirrels when I was younger. Kinda felt bad after a while. Nowadays I don't plan on shooting anything I won't eat. Coyote would be the only exception to that, but I haven't hunted coyote yet. Not sure I want to; they look too much like a dog to me.
As far as coyote hunting there is actually research out there that hunting them makes the population grow. As a pack animal the alpha female is the only animal that goes into heat......hormone levels keep the subordinate females in the pack from reproducing. If the female alpha dies then every female in the pack goes into heat right away and the subordinate males will breed them which creates more packs and more coyotes. The research I read and attended a seminar on shows clearly that where coyote hunting is unlimited (longer season and no bag limit) the coyote populations are actually growing. I'm sure the coyote hunters will be here momentarily to flame me up.........keep in mind I didn't say I completely bought into that research.......its something to consider. Additionally the researcher that presented the seminar is not an anti hunter! To start the seminar and put that to rest she showed photos of her bear deer and moose hunting trips.

Back
Top Bottom