Just My 2 Cents About Ads

And you continue to harass me. I went radio silent as you’re obviously a bit of a whacko. Please leave me alone and move on with your life.

Thanks, here are all our PM’s, verbatim and others can decide. CN He assumed “Sounds great” was “I’m going to buy your rifle.” I’ll thus assume that his “outing himself” is license to publish the PM’s we exchanged.

The ideal steps should have been to ascertain purchase interest first with your son before reaching out to the seller. That would probably eliminate all of this misunderstanding and potentially wasting the seller's time and selling opportunities. Goose Rules notwithstanding, I can see how "sounds great" can be interpreted as "I will take it" in this scenario. Should the seller have responded back "Does that mean you will take it?" If I get a "sounds great" and I'm planning to meet FTF, my expectations is 100% that a purchase will happen. The lack of location and contact on the seller's part, while lazy, are almost irrelevant in this case since it had no impact on the decision to purchase the rifle anyways.

Separately, why are so many sellers excluding their location in the ad? Is it the tinfoil or just carelessness?

People forget it's there property. They can post it for sale for whatever price they want. You don't have to buy it. Only people that don't make enough money cry for what people want to sell it for.

folks, you really have to make it known to the seller you want to set up a go see before you commit. when the seller says "we can do the transfer at....." that tells me the guy is expecting a sale, especially since there was no come back to confirm they just wanted to see it before agreeing to purchase. this bullshit is a lack of communication on both sides, my opinion. i always immediately give a firearm seller my phone number after i make contact and instruct them to contact me. it's easier to talk to a live person so there's no misunderstanding than it is to do emails or pms. we can all agree there are times when electronic messages have serious gaps before they are answered. sometimes a day or two.

I give my phone and address after the buyer gives me a firm time of when he will be meeting with me. I don’t share personal information lightly. That’s worked out for 19 transactions here over something like 8 or 9 years. I’m quite glad I didn’t share my information with this individual as he was going to crap out on the sale anyway and now he’s harassing me to the point where I put him on ignore.

IMO sales here are not show and tell. I won't meet someone just to look and think about it. You can inspect before purchase and if not as described back out. Before a meet up I'm very clear to state this is a confirmed sale.

I also don't care if the buyer backs out, as long as it's before I leave my house for a meet up.

Sellers need to push buyers by giving them a date and time to meet. As soon as someone says they want it I say can you meet here and this time and date. If not give me another time and date. This weeds out the tire kickers.

I don't like phone calls because you play phone tag and no record of your conversation. I like to double check stuff and a record helps me. Text or PM's are good.

now he’s harassing me to the point where I put him on ignore.
To you, it's harassment.
To him, it is defense against what he feels is an undeserved negative rep.

He is trying to let his reputation be established by the collective judgement of the NES marketplace, rather than accepting the judgement you have passed on him. Right or wrong, this is not an unexpected reaction.

To you, it's harassment.
To him, it is defense against what he feels is an undeserved negative rep.

He is trying to let his reputation be established by the collective judgement of the NES marketplace, rather than accepting the judgement you have passed on him. Right or wrong, this is not an unexpected reaction.

Rob, I couldn’t care less what he says up here, it’s the PMs I’m annoyed with. Unlike him I don’t share PMs in public.

People forget it's there property. They can post it for sale for whatever price they want. You don't have to buy it. Only people that don't make enough money cry for what people want to sell it for.

That's a pretty off the wall thing to say. To hold fast to your high prices is one thing. Insulting savvy buyers is another thing and uncalled for. If you need to keep bumping your items for sale because they aren't selling, it's not because people don't make enough money.

I personally can't stand the ads that start with:

Testing the waters...

Feeler...

You either want to sell your shit or you don't. I would never respond to such a post.

Buyers have the internet to figure out what they are paying for is at a market price. If you pull the plug on a deal in the classifieds 10% over retail, that's on you. That's not on NES.

Seriously it's 2018, if you pay too much it's on you. I saw two lowers in there today listed at $1000 each. Do I need to tell any idiot that the price may be a tad high?

I agree, I’m glad you decided no comments on the ADs.

I feel lucky to have never had a bad experience buying or selling on NES and I’ve done a decent amount of both ( some before our current feedback system).

I just bought a lower last week, the guy was super nice, no issues at all. It’s not rocket science.

Thanks, here are all our PM’s, verbatim and others can decide. CN He assumed “Sounds great” was “I’m going to buy your rifle.” I’ll thus assume that his “outing himself” is license to publish the PM’s we exchanged.

Me, Friday 5:45pm

“Sounds great. What’s your schedule next few days? I’ll be driving out from Boston.” And my name, email and cell #

Him Friday 5:52pm

“Let me know when you want to be here and I’ll be here. We can do the transfer at my house if you like.” (No address, no contact info)

Me Sat 7:07am

“Wherever you like. Let me see what the kids are up to, should be able to come out this morning if that works for you.”

Him 8:38am Sat

“Morning is great.”

Me, Sat 10:18am (Still no address or phone # from him)

“Talked to my son, who is a lefty, and he wants to stick with his LH bolt action for now. GLWS”

Him 11:12am “OK”

Me, 12:45 Sat (after noticing negative feedback)

“Guess I should have been more clear that I was only coming to look at it, and had not committed to buying it sight unseen.

Guess it goes without saying you never provided a location or any contact info. That’s what I get for dealing with Milennials.”

Him 1:20pm

“I’m 54 and you said ‘I’ll take it.’”

Me 1:27pm

“You are wrong. Look at all the text above and show me where it says, “I’ll take it.” I said “It sounds great.” That is not a commitment to purchase a rifle sight unseen.

Explain how am I supposed to buy it when I didn’t know where you live?”

Then he went radio silent.

I don't see "I'll take it" and obviously the lack of info for taking it off line or a location is missing. Of course this all assumes that the item is in proper order and the location wasn't a 2+ hour drive. Maybe the seller shouldn't have been so quick to push the other potential buyers away. I know that If I've had an offer I politely tell any and all others where they stand in line after the first response in case of no show or the buyer thinks he's going to play a game.

Before a meet up I'm very clear to state this is a confirmed sale.
it takes two to be a confirmed sale. there's a point where sellers become unreasonable. but i do agree if one states "i'll take it" it would be expected there will be a sale. i myself has bought 3 guns from the board and put in bold caps just that. and each case i offered a deposit via paypal to show good faith. this classified section is basically a free vehicle to sell shit. if you need a ton of goose crap included in each sale, well...sell you stuff on gunbroker where there's a bunch of rules and an intermediary if things go south. this goes for everyone who spends a lifetime being butt hurt.

As mentioned, never said “I’ll take it.” I always tell sellers “Looks great,” makes them feel good.

From now on I’ll add a disclaimer that there is no commitment to purchase prior to inspection. Some people here are ESL, etc. so worth spelling out, apparently.

He sold the rifle so other than having to send an extra pm he wasn’t put out in the slightest. We now have tit-for-tat negative reviews, Caveat Emptor.

it takes two to be a confirmed sale. there's a point where sellers become unreasonable. but i do agree if one states "i'll take it" it would be expected there will be a sale. i myself has bought 3 guns from the board and put in bold caps just that. and each case i offered a deposit via paypal to show good faith. this classified section is basically a free vehicle to sell shit. if you need a ton of goose crap included in each sale, well...sell you stuff on gunbroker where there's a bunch of rules and an intermediary if things go south. this goes for everyone who spends a lifetime being butt hurt.

If buying I will respond with I'll take it at the listed price followed with my availability. Clear and directly to the point.

As mentioned, never said “I’ll take it.” I always tell sellers “Looks great,” makes them feel good.

From now on I’ll add a disclaimer that there is no commitment to purchase prior to inspection. Some people here are ESL, etc. so worth spelling out, apparently.

He sold the rifle so other than having to send an extra pm he wasn’t put out in the slightest. We now have tit-for-tat negative reviews, Caveat Emptor.
mr. grandman, please, give it up now. we get it. [smile] we're onto general conversation now regarding the classified.

I just bought some things from Bob today. He's the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Straight up honest in his dealings. He even through in some extras.

Not sure what happened to Garandman but my interaction and purchase were as good as it gets.

Rich

I gave him negative feedback. I’ll out myself. He PMd me he wanted to buy the 10/22 I had listed. I marked it sale pending and told 3 different people they were sold. Then he PMd me this morning to say he changed his mind.

Try to get away with that on Gunbroker and they’ll kick you off the site.

Fun thread. FREE posting forum and minimal rules with virtually ZERO monitoring and people STILL get butthurt when things don't go the way the want. I just bought a gun from a member this morning. Saw it, wanted it, looked it up on GB, made an offer, he accepted. Made a plan to meet, met, bought, went on my merry way, everybody was happy. The other day I saw an ad for ammo, price was decent, asked the dude where "Central Mass" was, found out his version was slightly different than mine, told him "I'd have to insult you to make it worthwhile for me" and we left it there. He appreciated the honesty, I didn't spend 3 hours driving to save $2/box on ammo. I bought some magazines from another guy that were so cheap I thought the ad was wrong. I asked, he confirmed, another happy deal. Worth my time and gas based on the price.

Sometimes deals happen, sometimes they don't. If the buyer isn't willing to do his due diligence and make sure the seller isn't an unrepentant thief, well, too motherf-ing bad. Personally, I think karma bites people appropriately. Everybody here buying guns is SUPPOSED to be at least 21. That means man up, pull up your big boy panties and handle your shit. If you think dude's price is high, or he's too far, or not being completely honest, or whatever, DON'T BUY. If you don't get the answer from the SELLER that you want, DON'T SELL.

In a free-market it is incumbent on both buyer AND seller to communicate. Don't get warm fuzzies? Call it a day, it'll sell eventually. Unless it's a sink. Or map. Or frostee machine.

That 10/22 had no location listed, just sayin...

I have an AR listed, I’m asking stupid money for it, because everyone else is asking stupid money for there’s and I base my selling price on what it would cost to replace it... I’m open to offers, don’t like it? Scroll on by I paid for my privilege to sell on here...

My gripe is location.... please if you forget anything don’t let it be where you are... if you had a gun way below my local shops price but it was on the NY border of mass I’d have to rethink the gun at the shop lol

Wow. Sorry to hear that some some you are having transaction issues when buying or selling in the Classifides. Just checked to see that I've been involved with over 50 transaction here on NES, both as buyer and seller. I have to say that every transaction, as buyer or seller, has been a pleasure. Never a issue or problem. Lots of great people here on NES.

true story, funny to me anyway. i answered an ad for a item which was priced a bit high. the ad said the price was firm. i watched the ad for a couple of weeks so i contacted the seller and asked if he could do any better on it then i made an fair offer. trust me, a generous, fair offer. this guy sent me back the most vile message. pretty much called me stupid (among other things), asked me if i could read, the ad said price was firm, i wasted his time, and blah, blah, blah. i didn't respond but went back to his ad and noticed he had dropped his asking price to what i offered. nasty, miserable bastard this ass wipe.

true story, funny to me anyway. i answered an ad for a item which was priced a bit high. the ad said the price was firm. i watched the ad for a couple of weeks so i contacted the seller and asked if he could do any better on it then i made an fair offer. trust me, a generous, fair offer. this guy sent me back the most vile message. pretty much called me stupid (among other things), asked me if i could read, the ad said price was firm, i wasted his time, and blah, blah, blah. i didn't respond but went back to his ad and noticed he had dropped his asking price to what i offered. nasty, miserable bastard this ass wipe.

My experience with craigslist informs me you should respond with "what's your bottom dollar?" A true pro buyer makes the seller negotiate against himself. /s

Did I mention I hate craigslist?

Back
Top Bottom