• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just moved to Florida from MA

Just moved to Florida for school and going to be living here for 3 plus years. My question is when/if I should get a Florida drivers licence and declare residence here in Florida, what is going to happen to my LTC in MA? Will it still be valid? Also, is there a difference from a non-res permit in FL from a resident.

Just moved to Florida for school and going to be living here for 3 plus years. My question is when/if I should get a Florida drivers licence and declare residence here in Florida...

I don't see a benefit to declaring residency in FL.

...what is going to happen to my LTC in MA? Will it still be valid?

Yes, providing you retain your MA residency.

Also, is there a difference from a non-res permit in FL from a resident.

Last I knew, they were identical, other than the address (FL address vs. non-FL address).

Make sure you have somewhere to keep your stuff. If you're living on-campus, this is something to think about first.

Students FIT the Fed definition of "DUAL RESIDENTS" and thus can legally buy in either state DURING THEIR RESIDENCE time there.

I quoted Fed Q&A recently from BATFE Publication (and it cites exact laws that it is based on), if you want to look it up.

Welcome to America's Wang. FL is so bad, the FARK website has a label just for stories from there.

Plus, wasn't there a thread a while back complaining that in certain areas of FL, it was really difficult to find a range???

Also, remember, if you buy a non-MA compliant gun down there...it has to stay there...so...if you plan on coming home after school...be prepared for that.

1) Not to be a stickler, but moving to Florida with an intention to remain only three years (for schooling), after which you intend to return to MA, would not make you a Florida resident for state-law purposes.

2) See LenS's reply above: establishing an abode in Florida may authorize you to purchase vis-a-vis Federal law, after which you could return to MA, with purchases, and "register" them here on FA-10s.

If you are going to be a "college" student in FL, you qualify for dual residency, according to the ATF. Therefore, you can legally buy handguns in FL. Thats the same "trick" the Craigslist killer pulled (except with a fake ID, so it was never legal). Anyway, its in the ATF Guidebook if your interested.

Also, remember, if you buy a non-MA compliant gun down there...it has to stay there...so...if you plan on coming home after school...be prepared for that.

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about!! [thinking]

If that were the case, people couldn't move into MA with their guns!

ONLY issue on bring-backs is the AWB and hi-cap mags made post-9/13/1994. That's it.

Make sure you have somewhere to keep your stuff. If you're living on-campus, this is something to think about first.

I am living off campus, in a condo.

See LenS's reply above: establishing an abode in Florida may authorize you to purchase vis-a-vis Federal law, after which you could return to MA, with purchases, and "register" them here on FA-10s.

I would have to register them to myself through a FA-10 or do I have to go through a FFL?

If you are going to be a "college" student in FL, you qualify for dual residency, according to the ATF. Therefore, you can legally buy handguns in FL. Thats the same "trick" the Craigslist killer pulled (except with a fake ID, so it was never legal). Anyway, its in the ATF Guidebook if your interested.

With this dual residency thing, do I need to get a Florida drivers license or will my MA license suffice? Also, with this dual residency can I get a Florida res cwp?

Last edited:
Luckily, FL will issue DL's for part time residents, which makes pulling the dual residency thing much less complicated. If you had dual residency in ME and NH, how would you go about proving it if say your DL was from ME?

With this dual residency thing, do I need to get a Florida drivers license or will my MA license suffice? Also, with this dual residency can I get a Florida res cwp?
It will be difficult for you to find an FFL that will take a MA driver's license plus documentation you are in MA for school as proof of dual residency. Most will just want to keep it simple, and not get near the edge of the cliff.

I would have to register them to myself through a FA-10 or do I have to go through a FFL?

No FFL required. You are required to submit a FA-10 within 7 days of the firearms entering MA.

You can't get a FL license without surrendering your MA license. However, you can get a FL ID, and a FL CWP (both with your FL address), which will allow you to purchase a firearm in FL.

Luckily, FL will issue DL's for part time residents, which makes pulling the dual residency thing much less complicated.

They discontinued that practice (Sep 09, IIRC).

No FFL required. You are required to submit a FA-10 within 7 days of the firearms entering MA.

You can't get a FL license without surrendering your MA license. However, you can get a FL ID, and a FL CWP (both with your FL address), which will allow you to purchase a firearm in FL.

They discontinued that practice (Sep 09, IIRC).

thank you kevlar

Last edited:
Last I knew, they were identical, other than the address (FL address vs. non-FL address).
Reciprocity is not the same. There are various states that will only honor FL's resident permit... Most states that honor FL don't care, but there are a few that do (South Carolina for instance).

Reciprocity is not the same. There are various states that will only honor FL's resident permit... Most states that honor FL don't care, but there are a few that do (South Carolina for instance).

True, I was speaking to physical differences (i.e. not demarcated "resident" or "non-resident").

FL (even FFLs in FL) are WELL aware of the snowbird phenomenon and thus don't look at you like you have 3 heads if you tell them you are a PT resident of FL and PT resident of MA (or any other state).

I'm even aware of one FFL who is a snowbird and sells guns in FL during part of the year and in another state the other part of the year (has 2 FFLs).

PW will have a much easier time with his situation than anyone who had the reverse situation or was living in another state.

Another advantage to becoming at least a part-time resident of FL is that auto insurance on a car registered in FL is MUCH less expensive.

OK, they gave me a FL drivers license since I just had a car registered in FL, so I guess I am a resident of FL now since they cut the edge of my MA drivers licence. Also, apparently in florida you don't even need a permit to buy a handgun as long as you have a FL drivers license, but need to have a permit to ccw. My question now can I legally bring my guns in MA to FL without a FL ccw permit? Is my MA LCP still valid?

Last edited:
OK, they gave me a FL drivers license since I just had a car registered in FL, so I guess I am a resident of FL now since they cut the edge of my MA drivers licence. Also, apparently in florida you don't even need a permit to buy a handgun as long as you have a FL drivers license, but need to have a permit to ccw. My question now can I legally bring my guns in MA to FL without a FL ccw permit? Is my MA LCP still valid?
Yes, you can take your guns to FL. You should have already - you don't even need a FL driver's license to possess them down there (as long as they are not on your person. They can be in your car or in your home.

Purchase, Possession and transportation (even loaded in your car) are legal in FL with nothing more than proof of age and a lack of Federal Disqualifiers.

The FL CCW is just that - CCW. You don't need it for ANYTHING else.

As for MA - as I understand it - once you have a FL DL with a FL address, you have "established residency" and as such, your MA LTC is no longer valid and you are supposed to send a letter informing them of your change of address (assuming you ever plan on getting a MA non-resident or coming back, you might not want to burn the bridge).

Move the guns, send the letter - enjoy your freedom and now get to work on FL politics, they are screwed up too... Just in different ways...

IANAL, but:

1. If your Mass LTC has not been revoke or expired, then it is still valid. That being said, you are required to notify your old (and new [laugh]) police chief of your change in address. Once you do that, then they are going to revoke it.

2. I do not know Florida law, but speaking broadly, if you do not need a license to possess, but merely to carry concealed, then you should be fine bringing them into the state and to your residence. If you want to do any type of carry, you need to do more specific research on the laws down there.

Back
Top Bottom