Just how my season is going...

Got to the stand this am and.....

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uz9uLsORBZ8qXdu_MZlfpYoEymSpex29/view?usp=drivesdk

Fark..... Trigger on the release snapped off...

Anything small that can fit in my pack that can break, drop or lose, and ruin my hunt..........like a release, calls, compass, gps, pull up rope, etc. I have a spare in my pack.

Why, because shxt happens.

Most of the time, its the release that people forget, I've had to bail out several buddies on hunts giving them my spare. If there is one thing you should always have a double of, its that.

Exactly... I can't shoot fingers with my compound. It's a 70# draw 30" ATA bow. I tried once and after some excruciating pain I decided not to try it again.

But for comic relief, this was only the beginning of how my day went. On the way tp the stand I stepped in some dog shit on the trail and didn't realize it. I did realize it after I got into the stand and at that point managed to get it on my lone wolf sticks, assault and back pack straps.

So here I am stinking like dog shit and unable to shoot my bow... Not exactly the keys to a successful hunt. So after getting down and starting to make my way out, I cut a big track and a pile of droppings on a trail heading into a bedding area I was near. They droppings were as big as marbles and they were fresh...

[frown]

I came home and hosed off my gear, got my backpack straps in the washer with my clothes, and got a backup release I had in my basement.... I'm going to try to get myself back together to get out there for the evening.

I ordered another release. It's always attached to the bow when I'm not wearing it, but they'll be an extra in the pack from now on.

Anything small that can fit in my pack that can break, drop or lose, and ruin my hunt..........like a release, calls, compass, gps, pull up rope, etc. I have a spare in my pack.

Why, because shxt happens.

Most of the time, its the release that people forget, I've had to bail out several buddies on hunts giving them my spare. If there is one thing you should always have a double of, its that.

You rock a spare GPS. Damn dude... I have a Garmin 64S but I use my phone as a backup.

You rock a spare GPS. Damn dude... I have a Garmin 64S but I use my phone as a backup.

I have a spare Garmin Etrex 30 or something as a back up. It was not that expensive. I have no cell reception in most North Central MA spots that I hunt, so can't use the cell. But honestly, if I have a compass and walk in one direction long enough, I'm gonna hit a road relatively fast , it's not like Northern Maine or anything.

Exactly... I can't shoot fingers with my compound. It's a 70# draw 30" ATA bow. I tried once and after some excruciating pain I decided not to try it again.

But for comic relief, this was only the beginning of how my day went. On the way tp the stand I stepped in some dog shit on the trail and didn't realize it. I did realize it after I got into the stand and at that point managed to get it on my lone wolf sticks, assault and back pack straps.

So here I am stinking like dog shit and unable to shoot my bow... Not exactly the keys to a successful hunt. So after getting down and starting to make my way out, I cut a big track and a pile of droppings on a trail heading into a bedding area I was near. They droppings were as big as marbles and they were fresh...

[frown]

I came home and hosed off my gear, got my backpack straps in the washer with my clothes, and got a backup release I had in my basement.... I'm going to try to get myself back together to get out there for the evening.

I ordered another release. It's always attached to the bow when I'm not wearing it, but they'll be an extra in the pack from now on.

Oh, I've run across day's like that before...... almost comical you have to laugh or you'd lose your mind. But then there are days that come together so good, its amazing. So no worries......it can go 180 pretty quick and the next thing you know you've got a big deer on the ground.

I've had my Scott for 15 years, the only time it gave me problem was with sticking, of course a little oil and it was GTG. Its so reliable I forgot to oil it. But I do carry a spare just in case.

Sorry, can't help. I'm a finger tab guy too...

iu

Just call me... "Bowfinger"...

iu

Sorry, can't help. I'm a finger tab guy too...

iu

Just call me... "Bowfinger"...

iu

To you guys shooting fingers....are you shooting today's short compound bows with them? Or are you shooting some old round wheel deal 40" ATA deal from the 80's or 90's?

I mean, I was hardcore trad archery for a long time, and I cannot even fathom shooting fingers with these high letoff, short ATA, lobed cam, compounds nowadays, I have no idea how you maintain proper back tension holding 10# of weight, nor the finger pinch angle. I'd have very poor accuracy no doubt.

It's been years since I shot a compound bow (OK, it's been. . . . .30 or so. LOL). Isn't a 60# bow a 60# bow. To me, the letoff is a ton easier now than back in my day. I was happy if my 55ish was dropped by 25%. Or is there a TON of heavier-than-60# right before you get to the letoff???

Back 30 years ago, only wussies used releases. I stopped shooting before they became popular at all.

I have a spare Garmin Etrex 30 or something as a back up. It was not that expensive. I have no cell reception in most North Central MA spots that I hunt, so can't use the cell. But honestly, if I have a compass and walk in one direction long enough, I'm gonna hit a road relatively fast , it's not like Northern Maine or anything.

If your cell has a builtin GPS, that's a separate radio from the phone radio, and (perhaps depending upon the cellphone) should function independent of whether you have cell service or not. There are apps that download map data and function with the GPS whether you have cell service or not. I used a setup like that on my Galaxy S7 when I was in the Moosehad Lake area of Maine a year or so ago, where I had no cell data service for the most part.

It's been years since I shot a compound bow (OK, it's been. . . . .30 or so. LOL). Isn't a 60# bow a 60# bow. To me, the letoff is a ton easier now than back in my day. I was happy if my 55ish was dropped by 25%. Or is there a TON of heavier-than-60# right before you get to the letoff???

Back 30 years ago, only wussies used releases. I stopped shooting before they became popular at all.

My bow in particular is a 70# draw with a 75% let off. So in the valley it’s 17 or 18 pounds. The axle to axle is 30 inches. It has very aggressive cams. The valley comes quick and is very short. Let down a tiny bit and you better be ready for that 70 pounds.

It’s impossible to draw with fingers. I wouldn’t want too anyway. It was always intended to be used with a release.

My bow in particular is a 70# draw with a 75% let off. So in the valley it’s 17 or 18 pounds. The axle to axle is 30 inches. It has very aggressive cams. The valley comes quick and is very short. Let down a tiny bit and you better be ready for that 70 pounds.

It’s impossible to draw with fingers. I wouldn’t want too anyway. It was always intended to be used with a release.

Same here. I've never shot more than 60# as it blows thru every deer I've shot with cut on contact broadheads.......

But yeah....my Bowtech and 99% of these other short hunting compounds are pretty much release only nowadays.

If your shooting fingers your shooting different equipment.

My 60# bow has about 15# of holding weight. If you've been out of the loop for 30 years, bow technology has grown leaps and bounds. New bows are nothing like the old round wheel compounds.

These things are efficient, quiet and fast as heck and very vibration free. I still tune my bow with heavy arrows to shoot only around 250fps, so its quiet, and more forgiving of release, heavy arrows also deliver more energy for the most part. I'm not into speed freakishness.

To you guys shooting fingers....are you shooting today's short compound bows with them? Or are you shooting some old round wheel deal 40" ATA deal from the 80's or 90's?

I mean, I was hardcore trad archery for a long time, and I cannot even fathom shooting fingers with these high letoff, short ATA, lobed cam, compounds nowadays, I have no idea how you maintain proper back tension holding 10# of weight, nor the finger pinch angle. I'd have very poor accuracy no doubt.

1984 PSA Round-wheel set at 45 pounds. Has taken more deer than I have fingers and toes (and I got all of them...)

You are absolutely right about modern bows. they are strictly mechanical release...

~Matt

1984 PSA Round-wheel set at 45 pounds. Has taken more deer than I have fingers and toes (and I got all of them...)

You are absolutely right about modern bows. they are strictly mechanical release...

~Matt

LOL....that' a vintage compound right there. Doesn't matter how old it is, its how you shoot it.

I've seen guys that can shoot those things with the old brass pins, pretty darn good.

I shoot my compound instinctive.

No kidding. I got a used one at R and R to shoot with the kids. None of us can hit anything with sights so we take them off and do “ok”.

I’m confident on a clean kill at 30 yards.

I use cascade releases set to fire on let-off with a thumb button. And a string loop made out of fast flite.

I use cascade releases set to fire on let-off with a thumb button. And a string loop made out of fast flite.

I’m a fan of the wrist strap. Dual caliper with a strap or rope to the head, not a metal rod..... to be particular. I don’t like single calipers, hooks even less.

I never really saw the appeal for back tension or thumb releases for myself. Seems like it would be ok at the range, but in the field... too many potential problems. I could drop the release, it can come off or unhook from the string, potential to torque the string, etc... I’ve seen a few misfires as a result of those release aids too. Back tension style in particular.

Back
Top Bottom