Just hit the lottery!! (VT Moose Permit)

VTHunter

NES Member
After about 20 years of trying - I finally got the ticket for WMU E1. Starting preparations tomorrow. Planning to have the 16 year old son as 'sub-permitee'. Planning on having him use the Remington 700bdl 7mm and I may use the Savage 300 Win Mag.

Not sure yet. May be a good reason to buy a new rifle - LOL.[laugh2]

Attachments

• Moose Lottery.jpg
    Moose Lottery.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 113
Do you know the best place to shoot a moose?

E1 is pretty remote, but it probably offers you the best chance of success, as well as a quality hunt in a wild setting. I would spend time scouting the area now, in fact I would go trout fishing when I was scouting in E2 (where I shot mine 5 years ago). Buy some good old-fashioned topographic maps of the area as well, they'll be invaluable for scouting and getting to know the lay of the land. Line up your moose extraction people as well, it took my father and me 8 hours to get mine out of the woods and E2 is a little more accessible than E1. If you don't live in or near E1 than you'll be glad you have a decent place to stay in the zone, so you can spent your time hunting and not traveling back and forth. You'll also get to spend quality time at the range practicing with your rifles. I used a 30/06 and shot from rests, offhand, leaning against a post, anything that would simulate an actual hunting scenario, because I figured (correctly, it turned out) that it would come down to one shot. It was a good idea because I was standing on a dead blowdown spruce when I took my shot. Make sure that your knives are sharp, your camera has fresh batteries and your raingear really works. In short, the preparation is almost as much fun as the hunt itself.
Congratulations on your good luck. I hope that your hunt with your son is as memorable as mine was with my father.

By the way, the best place to shoot a moose is near a pickup truck.[grin]

Congrats! Rifle is the easy part....Machinery to move the beast may be a bigger challenge?

I lived in VT for a few years. I couldnt believe the first time I saw someone transporting a harvested moose on a full size trailer, and the friggin legs were dragging. lol. Good luck on your hunt!!

Last edited:
I got some extra room in my freezer!

It turns out we actually needed some additional freezer room! My son (16) and I ended up with a 689 pound bull. We got him late on opening day. He was the only one we saw and my son got the first shot - a very well placed lung hit. I got the follow-up, but I wasn't as good as the kid LOL. When we pulled into the check station just before 7pm, they looked like they were closed, nobody was there except for 2 VT Wildlife people.

We got to work hooking it up to the hoist and ready for the biologist's examination. When I went to get off the truck to take a picture of the scale, there were about twenty people gathered taking pictures and starting to ask questions. They were congratulating my son and I and all seemed genuinely happy for us. This is definitely a big part of their way of life.

All in all, it really was an experience of a lifetime. Check one off the bucket list...

Attachments

• Moose.jpg
    Moose.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Congratulations. I hav'nt had any moose meat in about 5 yrs. you're making me hungry. Lol.

Outstanding! My 9 year old and I crossed paths with one like that on the deer stand in the M region the 2nd weekend of bow season. Was 25 yards from us for about 5 minutes. In season, with a tag, and a gun and we'd have harvested one like yours!

Father-son hunting is a sacred human tradition.

Back
Top Bottom