• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just got this response from a letter emailed to his office

COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS

SENATOR MICHAEL O. MOORE

SECOND WORCESTER DISTRICT

Room 109B, Boston, MA 02133 617.722.1485

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the recent proposals that have been filed by the Governor and other legislators relative to gun control. We can all agree that what happened in Newtown, CT was a tragedy of a most horrific nature. The loss of so many young lives in such a random act of violence has left a scar on our country. That being said we must be cautious in our response and in our efforts at preventing further acts from being perpetrated. As the evidence has unfolded we have learned that this was the act of a person who suffered from serious mental illness that had gone untreated.

We must take careful consideration of the rights of law abiding gun owners as we start to discuss any further measures that should be taken. As you may know, I maintain an A rating and was endorsed by GOAL and have sponsored free training events in my district. As a former Law enforcement officer and as the current Vice Chair of the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security I am well aware of the stringent laws placed on gun ownership already in place in the Commonwealth. We need to protect the second amendments rights of law abiding gun owners. However, we should punish accordingly those who commission a gun in a crime or who steal a gun for unlawful purposes. I believe we need to re-examine the current penalty for these crimes in an effort to reduce the number of guns that are on the streets. These weapons are accessible to those who do not care about the rights of law abiding citizens, and that is where we should focus our efforts.

Additionally, I think we need to re-examine our mental health resources and access to mental health care. Whatever efforts we make in this regard we must tread carefully to ensure that those who need help are not deterred from seeking assistance. With this being said, the data that NCIS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) uses to check eligibility for firearm ownership needs to be updated. I am opposed to requiring liability insurance for gun owners. This is an added burden to gun owners and legitimate gun collectors and I do not feel that this will be a deterrent to those who seek to commit a crime with a weapon.

I will continue to carefully monitor the conversations here on Beacon Hill in regards to these proposals. I think we should have a respectful and honest conversation about gun crimes in the Commonwealth and ways that we can deter or prevent these crimes. However, I will be mindful in these discussions about the infringement upon our Second Amendment rights and adding further burdens to lawful gun owners. I appreciate that you have taken the time to add your voice and opinion to this conversation. I look forward to continued debate on these matters.

Sincerely,

Senator Michael O. Moore
Second Worcester District

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom